Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruiser. Have some questions.

Hello all. First time cruiser here. My sail date is August 18th, 2008. Me and my girlfriend (also first time) are going on the 4 night cruise the the bahamas. I have a couple of questions that i was hoping could be answered.

1. Do i need to get a waterproof wallet/bag for my money, passport, id, etc? Or is triple ziplocking the stuff ok?

2. Are there lockers to store your stuff in along the beaches in Nassau and Cococay? How should i secure my camcorder while were swimming in the ocean?

3. Should i reserve excursions through RC or can i just wait till i get to the destination? Am i gonna miss out on the good stuff?

I know its not a lot of questions but if any one has any recommendations for me that a first timer wouldn't know please let me know.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Passenger

Congrats on your first cruise! My BF and I just took our first cruise (4 nights) in July. Unfortunately it was not to the Bahamas, so I can only really talk about question 3.

If there is a tour RC is offering that sounds like something you really want to do I would book it now. It could fill up and I heard people on the boat complaining about trying to book on the boat and missing out. The nice thing about booking through the boat is if your excursion is delayed the boat will wait for you. But I'm sure others on the forum can tell you of reliable vendors that they booked through. The down side to booking with RC is they are usually a little pricier.

On our 4 day I had booked 2 excursions through RC and the other 2 days we did things I looked up online. With no at sea days I can tell you we were really tired when we got back. We had an amazing time though, just really tired. So if your style is to plan ahead, you should do that. If your style is laid back and to see what happens when you get off the boat I would do that. You can't go wrong! You are on a cruise!
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Admiral

I have never cruise to these locations but these links may help you.
http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/NassauBahamas.htm
http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CocoCay.htm

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

First off congrats on your cruise. The cruiseline store sells plastic waterproof containers that will store your money, seapass,passport etc. It's made of plastic and you hang it around your neck and can go swimming with it. Most valuables you can leave in safe in your room. If you book your shore excursions thru the cruiseline then you will be guaranteed the ship will not leave you in port. If you book a shore excursion with an outside agency or hire a cab at the port; and if you are late or the cab breaks down you will be left. I don't mean to scare you but Royal Caribbean will not leave you behind when you book thru them. There are no lockers at the beach in Nassau.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Beginner

how do you secure your belongings when you want to go swimming in the ocean like a digital camera or camcorder?
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Be sure to take your passports/ID with you on shore. Well, hopefully, you can meet some other couples and all hang out at the
beach together. Then while some are swimming - the others are sitting
on the beach watching your stuff. You may want to pick up a small waterproof camera (disposable type) for the beach and leave the expensive
camcorder in your room hopefully in the safe. You can save some money buy hiring some of the independant tour guides on the dock - I would only do this in the morning - so you have plenty of time to shop
and get back to the ship in the afternnon. (the other posters were right -
if you are late getting back to the pier - the ship WILL NOT WAIT. If you
dp hire one of the vans/taxis - make sure to agree on a price BEFORE
you get in and where you want to go. It would also be a very good idea to
have another couple along (safety in numbers). The small waterproof
safe (you wear around your neck) can also be bought before you get on
the ship - the larger drugstores (Walgreens, Walmart) and sporting goods stores would carry these
and I recently saw the same in my Avon catalog a couple of weeks ago.
Take plenty of sunscreen - I think the best advise is "don't over schedule yourselves - part of the cruise is just exploring and enjoying all the ship hav to offer. You want to relax - not be running around crazy seeing
everything you can in a few days. Have a GREAT TIME !!

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

If you bring a digital camera to the beach depending on what type it is you can buy a plastic case to cover it for underwater. I take my camera to the beach all the time and take pictures by the water and stuff and never cover it. I don't go swimming with it. When I was snorkling in St. Maarten they had lockers for your valuables. You may have lockers in coco cay; I did not see any in Nassau; however that does not mean they are not there. For your camcorder I suggest you just be careful and only take pictures from the beach area and don't go in the water with it. I took my camcorder near the beach but not in the water. If you have a digital camera with a big memory card you can use it to shoot movies at the beach. If the sun is out you will be amazed at the quality of the video.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Beginner

ok thanks for all the responses. another question. do you have to take a taxi or is everything in walking distance?
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Beginner

do they sell waterproof camera bags on the ships?
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Never heard of a waterproof camera bag but they do sell disposable water cameras for snorkeling. Buy them at CVS, Stop and Shop or Wallmart before the cruise, much cheaper. Bob