Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Itinerary Changes

OK, I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything. Rather, I just like to be prepared for all possibilities. My family and I are taking our first cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas departing 8/18. I knew we were in the hurricane season when I booked, but this was the only available time for us to go as a family so I decided to take a chance. Because of this, I've been trying to be mentally prepared for any and all issues that could arise. I have been keeping an eye on the national hurricane center reports, and sure enough, there are a couple of tropical waves in the Atlantic region, one of which is expected to evolve but who knows what the tracking will be. As well, I've checked the weather reports for Belize and Cozumel (our port stops) and rain (not scattered showers) is shown for each port all day. Now, my question. Does Royal Caribbean only change the port itinerary for major storms? How and when do they decide if they will change their port stops? If they decide to make the port changes before the ship leaves, do passengers get notified, and if so, how? Only 5 more days before we start our vacation and I'm still hoping the weather gods will be on our side.

Thanks, and any comforting words on how to deal with a rainy cruise would be very appreciated.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Admiral

luv2vacation63,

Royal Caribbean (as I'm sure do all cruiselines) reserve the right make any itinerary changes for virtually any reason (Weather, equipment failure, labor strife, passenger safety, etc., etc.) even during mid voyage.

Anyone cruising especially during hurricane season has to be especially prepared for such an eventuality. That is why I personally would not schedule a port specific cruise.

I cannot answer your question as to would or how you would be notified prior to the voyage other than to advise you to periodically check Royal Caribbean's website where they usually prominently display cruises with storm altered itineraries and sailings.

Todd
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Admiral

One thing is certain-they will not jeopardize the safety of anyone regarding weather conditions. The itinerary may change but all in all the chances are very slim that will be the case.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Rain rain go away...........the ship WILL dock, then you have to decide as we did in Grand Cayman last year, if you even want to get off the ship. It poured cats and dogs, like I have never seen before!

I have cruised many times during the hurricane season, and only had one, almost issue, which never did come to pass.,,the odds are in your favor! Have a ball![/b]

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Most likely, you'll have beautiful weather, just go and don't stress about the "what ifs", just not worth it.

Have a great time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Admiral

like the others have said you can't stress over the what if's. The safety of the passengers and crew are the Captains main concern. If an island that you are planning on porting is in line for a direct hit from a hurricane then yes of course the ship will either divert to another port or stay at sea. If that happens and you book an excursion thru the cruise line you will get credit for that excursion. Will the cruise ship change ports because the forecast is for rain, not hardly, and again if your ships excursion is cancelled because of rain you will get credit for it.
Chances are all will be fine, just be flexible, and go with the flow if something does happen. Please don't have the mindset that if i don't go to this particular island or this particular excursion my entire cruise will be ruined.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Wonder if they are feeling the bumps out there with Fay spinning around?

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07