Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Default Behavior of Children and Teens on EOS

Was it just our cruise or is this common? We don't usually cruise during the summer but did this year. Not that we don't like kids, but some behaviors seemed too much. For instance, teens sitting on/blocking the steps (all the way across), sitting on the floor in walkways to get to the steps, riding the elevators (more than once we got on an elevator to find two or three teens, and they had the buttons pushed for every floor), kids with cabins across the hall from each other who left the doors open and shouted across to each other until 2:00-3:00 am, children running through the hallways in the cabin areas which makes a distinctive thump. A passenger we met called about the early morning disturbances, but nothing was done. Not looking to bash kids and teens - we know kids are kids - but are behaviors like this common during the summer months when they are out of school and lucky enough to take cruise vacations? Do they not like to utilize the special areas that are designated just for them?
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2008, 08:04 PM
First Mate

It's called "Parents on Vacation" and they just don't care.
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Parents need to know what their kids are doing on the cruise so other passengers are not affected by their behavior. Bob
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Most kids are fine. It's the parents that you have to be irritated at.
I was at the grocery store today and there was a lady who had 2 kids with her----a boy about 10--girl about 8. This lady seemed like she wasn't even aware they were around. Honestly you could hear these kids all over the store. They were running, screaming, playing with the carts, playing with food---once the " mother " had her head down in the meat section--these kids were taking packages of meat and running around placing them here, there, etc. and this idiot who supposedly was the mother or at least the adult who was with the kids just totally ignored them. I can't understand why management,, whether on a ship or in a store, can't or won't make people control their kids.
But as I said, most kids are fine--but it only takes a few to create problems.
This lady today needed her rear end kicked up on top of her shoulders for allowing 2 small kids to act that way --wonder what they do at the hole they call home !!
So, it's not only on cruise ships that you find this sort of behavior--everything starts at home--good or bad.
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Yeoman

That is one of the reasons we don't sail over spring break or summer! We have had our share of loud, rude children (and adults) on cruises. And everyone is right - it's just as much the parents fault as anyones. I asked one of the crew members once why the cruise line doesn't speak to the kids or their parents. He said it makes the parents angry and they threaten not to sail their line any more or they don't tip. So many of the crew are told to keep quiet and not say anything to anyone. He told me they only speak to the children or their parents if there is a danger to that child's wellfare. Playing on the elevator and running through areas at full speed without regard for anyone absolutely drives me nuts! I have spoken to kids before about running. I just can't tollerate it.
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Yea I have seen teens sit and hang out by the stairs. They do have great areas to hang out like the teen clubs johnny rockets or cafe promenade I don't know why they choose to sit by the stairs.

The kids running all over the place don't have any rules handed out by the parents. Shame on the parents!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The laziness of the parents, to control their kids, impacts how so many others enjoy their cruise, is a shame, indeed.

I have never been on a cruise, where there were so many kids, that I ever had issues such as yours, but I wonder why the staff, especially, in the common areas, is not more vocal, to try, and say, sweep the kids off the stairs..One accident because of an issue such as this, would get prompt attention I would bet:(

Some things, done buy a few could be considered, kids being kids, but on such a large scale it could infringe, on some peoples enjoyment...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Admiral

I don't know but if I was a teen on a cruise ship I would rather hang out here....

versus hanging out here!

Of course I never had the chance to cruise as teenager! Kids have it good these days.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Passenger

I figured other cruisers would understand where we were coming from, and you confirmed it. Since the parents don't do anything about it (don't they get it, or maybe they are just glad to have the kids out of their sight for a while?), and cruise personnel don't do anything about it (guess they don't want to offend customers?), we'll probably be resigned to avoiding cruising during summer and holiday breaks. If only the cruise lines would understand that they by not correcting the offenders, they are offending us! We did leave feedback on our questionnaire, and also on our T/A's questionnaire. Maybe someone will listen.
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Never had that problem. I have zero tolerance for bad behavior from children & I don't care who the kid belongs to. If you child is running around like an ape, I'm going to call them on their behavior.

Kid on steps? Tell them to move. Running around? Yell 'Hey! No running!'
Pushing elevator buttons? Tell them to get off & that you are calling security.

How many times did adults tell you as a child to be quiet in a library and it wasn't your parent? What about when you ran around a pool deck and the lifeguard blew the whistle at you & yelled no running? How many times did your own teachers in school yell at students?

So what if its not your kid, that should not stop you.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Admiral

If I was a teen, that picture of the club looks like a really nice place to hang out fun and would make it a point to go there to meet friends. There is so much for teens to do on RCCL so never a dull moment. Just my opinion. Bob
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Yeoman

If a crewmember tell you that they don´t speak to the kids or the parents because the parents then threaten not to sail their line anymore or they don´t tip, tell that crewmember that if they don´t speak to them, you might not wanna cruise their line anymore!!!

It´s also important to stand up for the crewmembers when they talk to passengers about bad behaivor. If you hear someone who is rude to a crewmember for no good reason, stand up for the crewmember! Try to find an officer to talk to and explain that the crewmember did the right thing! We can not let other passengers scare the crewmember so that they don´t talk to passengers about bad behaivor!
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Luckily I haven't run into any problems with older kids being unruly on cruises and I have to cruise in the summer. I have had small children having meltdowns and the parents not remove them from the dining area. I have had adults talking very louding in the halls at 2am. The worst is the seniors that cut in line at the buffet.
Explorer of the Seas August 2005
Zenith August 2004
Century September 2003
Zenith September 2002
Zenith September 2001
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Yeoman

We have often thought it would be nice for a cruise line to offer Adult Only cruises. 21 years old or older ONLY allowed on the cruise! I wonder if this would be at all successful? Even if this cruise was only offered a couple times a year or so, maybe it would be sold out! I'd go!
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

This happens on every ship no matter what the date is. If there is kids on board, there will be trouble. I recall the elevator rider who was bored and just kept going one from deck to the next until he was bored with that...

Kids in the grocery/department stores--all to familiar with that. The worst is on airplanes. I remember flying home from Vancouver (than the stars it was only a 1h15 minute flight) and the kid sitting behind me would NOT stop screaming and he also would NOT stop kicking the seat in front of him--MINE!!!!!! I told the flight attendant more than once, she asked him to not do it. After the second one she told the parent, the parent didn't care. Lastly, the third time they tried giving the little 'edited for content" crayons, cookies, etc to no avail....When exiting the plane I got up looked right at him and his mother and gave them the nastiest look I could without telling the "edited for content" what I felt.....

As for kids nowadays--too true--they need to know discipline like I had in school. The school didn't have to get your permission to give the strap--they called or sent a letter home. Most parents had no problems. We always knew no matter who it was if we were told to behave, we were to listen! My cousins grandmother was not to be crossed, if Nana said NOW she meant it, and if she said behave, you certainly changed your attitude quickly....long walks or jumping off the dock in the water got the fustrations out when trying to deal with a difficulyt sibling or snotty cousin...

I wish they would do something, but all parents seem to think their children are angels and are absolutely perfect.....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisequeen
We have often thought it would be nice for a cruise line to offer Adult Only cruises. 21 years old or older ONLY allowed on the cruise! I wonder if this would be at all successful? Even if this cruise was only offered a couple times a year or so, maybe it would be sold out! I'd go!
Hi Cruisequeen!!

I think for those that don't want to sail with kids onboard there are still many options to do that. Cruising while school is in session cuts out many many kids and sailing maybe on Hal, Princess or Celebrity would help. Of course it is not 100% kid free but there are so few that you really would not notice.

On my Celebrity cruise there were about 10 kids total on the whole ship.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Yeoman

You are correct TCQ. Sailing during those times of the year and on those lines have the least amount of kids. I'd just like to see what happened if the cruise lines would offer an entire ship with only adults! They wouldn't have to have the children's program staff and could save $ on their wages! It would just be interesting to see if they filled the ship.
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
First Mate

parents that were spoiled rotten as kids are the problem
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin c
parents that were spoiled rotten as kids are the problem
This is so not true. lol..

I have never found a kid that I took any crap from. I tend to be more accepting of some of the things kids do because of course; I was once a kid.

A couple of things that would bother me is the kids hanging out in front of the stairs. Running up and down the hallway might be a huge huge problem for me; I think...... especially if it was while I was "trying" to get to sleep. I can fall asleep in a night club at 1am and get good rest, it's just getting my eyes shut, that's the problem.

My girlfriend is kinda loud if you can read between the lines, so I can tolarate at little more noise than most but I do understand the aggrevation that goes with feeling of; wtf are they doing..

Whenever I find myself in a sitaution where someone is "in the way" (kids blocking the stairs), I make it my business to make them move out of my way, even if there is a clear path up or down the stairs. Immediately after they sit back down, I make it seem like I forgot something and make them move again out the way. Then about 2 mins later, I come back and once again, make them move.

I don't know what you do about the hallway / door open thing. I thought all kids under 21 had to room with someone over 21 or something like that?
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
This happens on every ship no matter what the date is. If there is kids on board, there will be trouble..
I don't think it happens on every ship.

Just cruised end of June with more than half of the cruisers were kids and there was no trouble. Kids in the dining room that I saw were all well behaved, I did not see or hear anyone talking or runnning in the halls (I'm a very light sleeper) and I never came across kids playing in the elevators. I did see some teens hanging out by the stairs but they did not block the whole staircase so there was room for cruisers to use the stairs with no problem.

Maybe it differs from cruiseline to cruiseline. Maybe Rccl has the better behaved kids onboard.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
Beginner

And, kids this age should know better! I don't even consider them small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Most kids are fine. It's the parents that you have to be irritated at.
I was at the grocery store today and there was a lady who had 2 kids with her----a boy about 10--girl about 8. This lady seemed like she wasn't even aware they were around. Honestly you could hear these kids all over the store. They were running, screaming, playing with the carts, playing with food---once the " mother " had her head down in the meat section--these kids were taking packages of meat and running around placing them here, there, etc. and this idiot who supposedly was the mother or at least the adult who was with the kids just totally ignored them. I can't understand why management,, whether on a ship or in a store, can't or won't make people control their kids.
But as I said, most kids are fine--but it only takes a few to create problems.
This lady today needed her rear end kicked up on top of her shoulders for allowing 2 small kids to act that way --wonder what they do at the hole they call home !!
So, it's not only on cruise ships that you find this sort of behavior--everything starts at home--good or bad.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
Beginner

Exactly! I have absolutely NO problem letting a kid know how I feel when I think their behavior is out of hand. By the same token, I've been known to praise a child or teen for the positive stuff. It takes a village to raise a child, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Never had that problem. I have zero tolerance for bad behavior from children & I don't care who the kid belongs to. If you child is running around like an ape, I'm going to call them on their behavior.

Kid on steps? Tell them to move. Running around? Yell 'Hey! No running!'
Pushing elevator buttons? Tell them to get off & that you are calling security.

How many times did adults tell you as a child to be quiet in a library and it wasn't your parent? What about when you ran around a pool deck and the lifeguard blew the whistle at you & yelled no running? How many times did your own teachers in school yell at students?

So what if its not your kid, that should not stop you.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Passenger

We have never had any major issues with kids/teens but we normally try to cruise when most schools are in session. OK, that cuts down on the sheer number of kids/teens. Add to that most are fairly well-behaved, although we have had to wait longer for elevators (why do teens seem to be entranced with elevators???) when they stop at each deck because they cannot figure out where they are. I guess they can't read the deck descriptions in most ship elevators. Like someone said, if I see them blocking stairs, etc., I simply them they are blocking and tell them to please move (nicely but directly). 99% look embarassed and politely move.

But, as always, there are allways a few that seem to cause problems. Nothing new. I know of a few of those in my neighborhood. I just handle them as I would my own kid. Like I said, most want to be treated as an adult and will react to an adult that way when approached. Just my two or three cents worth...
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...