Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
Captain

Default Just Booked our First Grand Suite

On our 10-27-09 Jewel OTS cruise, we were in an aft D1 cabin. Our TA had a Grand Suite, 1600, available, so I re-booked. This will be our first cruise out of 25+ in a suite.

For those of you who have had this cabin, or a similar GS, what's in store for us?
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Just Booked our First Grand Suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad
On our 10-27-09 Jewel OTS cruise, we were in an aft D1 cabin. Our TA had a Grand Suite, 1600, available, so I re-booked. This will be our first cruise out of 25+ in a suite.

For those of you who have had this cabin, or a similar GS, what's in store for us?
Congrats! What's in store for you is a great cruise! I've been in a junior suite, not the grand suite, but we had a fantastic cruise in our JS. You'll have at least 2 cabin stewards, priority check-in and boarding, your cabin will be in a quieter and less traveled area.

Let us know how it goes!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Enjoy! 8) 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Beginner

Wife and I had a grand suite on the Vision of the Seas last year and it was super.You'll be in for some surprises. It will spoil you for future cruises though.
Enjoy your cruise and have fun.
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM
First Mate

We had a GS on the Explorer and LOVED it! In fact so did my b/sil/niece and my mom on the same cruise for a total of 3!

The extra room is really nice as are the furnishings. The floor does seem to be less traveled, why be there unless you have a suite?!

We had fresh fruit or pasteries every day of our cruise that were delivered in the afternoons. Very nice when we got "home" from our excursions.

Like someone said, you'll be spoiled by the time it's all said and done. You'll NEVER go back!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Captain

And WHAT a "GS" you booked! 1600 has an odd layout compared to the suites on both sides. I have stayed in 1602 and was able to duck into 1600 on embarkation day, with the cabin attendant present. Due to the unique entry it didn't seem as expansive as you entered but once inside, it was outstanding. The balcony does narrow due to the aft configuration but still accomodates 2 upright chairs along with 2 loungers. We finally have it booked on the "Radiance" next April and even though we have been in the "GS" category before, I am looking forward to that one in particular.

Besides priority check-in and luggage delivery, you are on deck ten along with the Concierge lounge available for you. The concierge is present in the morning and between 1700-2030 for free cocktails etc. I also swear the bathroom is as large as some cabins I booked when I was a pup, Robbie
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to SherryBabie

We booked our first suite this time, we are leaving Sept. 7th and can't wait. I'm looking forward to taking a bath while on a cruise, that to me is worth all the tea in China.

We have a Jr. Suite booked and will upgrade when we check in. I check all the time and they still have plenty of suites and I was told to wait until the day of check in and you will get a fantastic upgrade for a fraction of the price!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Sherry, I hope you're holding your breath! The suites will book first from what we've been told and have experienced.

I wouldn't hold a bucket of water on getting one if you wait till the day before. Maybe you'll be lucky, I hope you are.

A suite is AWESOME, you'll never go back! We've had a suite for all three of our cruises. I can't imagine sailing any other way.

Old August 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've been in a few Grand Suites and they are great!

Our first cruise was in a balcony stateroom...when we opened the door to the Suite on our second cruise, our first words were WOW!! We couldn't believe the room. There's a fruit basket waiting for you when you arrive. Each afternoon, you get some sort of snack...we played a guessing game each day to see if it would be fruit, cookies, shrimp cocktail, chocolates, etc.

The bathroom is also amazing....two sinks and a real tub shower...no more time traveling chamber to shower in - which means no more banging into those curved glass doors!

The stereo system is also far better with surround sound Bose speakers...great to connect an mp3 player to when getting ready.

Double wide balcony more closet space, etc etc.

And...don't forget that you get access to the Concierge Lounge. Breakfast there in the mornings is really nice and quiet. Afternoons / Before dinner drinks and snacks.

You'll have a great time and as everyone else said....you'll never want to sail in anything other than a suite again. We really spoiled ourselves.

Our next cruise is in October and 2 weeks in the Suite will be great. We have a suite on the hump on Radiance so it'll be great when we sail through the Panama Canal!

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
First Mate

I had a Owners Suite once before and now I down graded to a Grand Suite.......I hope I'm not disappointed.
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Captain

Depending on the ship the most noticeable difference is the absence of the HUGE TV. Otherwise, I thought the O/S was too much unused floor space. Grand's are fantastic and even though the majority of our cruises were not in them, we do enjoy living like the "other half" for a couple of weeks!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiel
Sherry, I hope you're holding your breath! The suites will book first from what we've been told and have experienced.

I wouldn't hold a bucket of water on getting one if you wait till the day before. Maybe you'll be lucky, I hope you are.

A suite is AWESOME, you'll never go back! We've had a suite for all three of our cruises. I can't imagine sailing any other way.
Hi Dottie,

We decided not to chance it and booked the grand suite today. We are leaving Friday and I can't wait. Yes, we will be sharing our cruise with Hanna, Ike and probably Josephine, but we will have fun. We have cabin 1574 on the 10th floor. I will let you all know if it is worth the extra $$$.

Thanks for all your advice, I wouldn't of gone for it without this information!

Sherry

Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
First Mate

OH I'm sooo glad you guys booked the suite! I would have hated that you had your heart set on the upgrade and it not happen

You're going to love the extra room and balcony, who cares what's brewing outside when you have a suite!!!

Have fun and we'll be waiting to hear all about it!

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Tika
Default Grand Suite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been on many cruise ships and by far the best stateroom has been our Grand Suite 1324 on the EOSt his past January 2008. It was located mid ship and it is only one flight down to the Concierge Lounge. Our steward, Gerard was outstanding as was Nicki in the Concierge Lounge. You will love this stateroom. Huge his & hers closets and spacious sitting area & balcony. Tons of storage and wonderful bathroom. Wait staff and all the dining room service was excellent. It is a beautiful ship and is kept immaculately clean considering there are over 3000 pax.
I left a gold necklace in the corner of the safe and had excellent feedback immediately after contacting RCCL of my loss. Two weeks later I received my necklace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a great time.......relax...........savor ...........enjoy etc.
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

We booked a grand suite #1588 on Voyager of the Seas. I wonder if all the grand suites are the same on each ship. Since Exporer and Voyager are same class ships I assume the suites are the same size. Looking at the map on RCI website our suite looks to be midship.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiel
OH I'm sooo glad you guys booked the suite! I would have hated that you had your heart set on the upgrade and it not happen

You're going to love the extra room and balcony, who cares what's brewing outside when you have a suite!!!

Have fun and we'll be waiting to hear all about it!
Hi Dottie,

We are here and getting on the cruise ship tomorrow. We are excited and can't wait. Thanks again for your suggestions, we will let you know. BTW FLORIDA IS HOT.

Sherry :o

Old September 7th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Passenger

This is purely a personal view....

Our next cruise will be on Navigator in GS 1556, chosen with care ..... there is no overhang above this cabin, note: cabins from 1570 backwards have an overhang (Voyager Class) Problem we’ve had in the past with GS cabins (Splendour of the Seas) GS 8005 had this overhang from above – very little sun on balcony.... looking over the side to D1 balconies below they had sunshine and we didn’t (Brazil to Lisbon Cruise – Apr ’08 ) – something to bear in mind if you are a sun worshiper, not much fun if you have sunloungers but no sunshine. The cabins are very spacious and yes a bit of luxury however my preference is a JS, favourite cabin 9?18 on Voyager Class (on the bulge) also I like the walk-in wardrobe area in the JS cabins, if you are Diamond status you qualify for Concierge service anyway, we love RCCL

(I know it also depends on cruise location and time of year )
Tip: Check out some photos of the ship and look where your cabin falls

Old September 7th, 2008, 08:45 AM
First Mate

Sherry, you're going to have a fantastic time!

Can't wait to hear all about it when you come back home

Old September 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Has anyone gone from a OS to a GS and if so if there a big difference?
Old September 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Passenger

hope you get back to us about your GS on Navigator 10 day...we just booked two GS near you 1564&1568-wondering about noise from above but know we will appreciate the room...good to hear about the lack of overhang! :o
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

please get back to us about your grand suite experience. Many people who have not yet been in a grand suite, or those who are maybe on the borderline of getting one; maybe your feedback will sway them one way or the other.
cheers
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM
First Mate

Does anyone know if cabin 1278 has over hang?