Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Default RCCL vs Princess?

We have traveled on RRCL ships 11 times and on 1 princess ship. We always stay in a balcony room (Highest level of catagory).

On the RRCL the balcony rooms felt bigger than the princess ship. RCCL had couchs and desk. Princess had chair and desk.

Which cruise line do you like best?
And why?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Admiral

I get a mini-suite on Princess and a Jr. Suite on RCI.

I like Princes better. Two TVs. RCI felt larger, but I don't know if it really is.

Balcony uncovered for me is just fine.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: RCCL vs Princess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by collettet
We have traveled on RRCL ships 11 times and on 1 princess ship. We always stay in a balcony room (Highest level of catagory).

On the RRCL the balcony rooms felt bigger than the princess ship. RCCL had couchs and desk. Princess had chair and desk.

Which cruise line do you like best?
And why?
Thanks.
Have been on Princess 4 times and will be going on my 2nd RCCL. I like the fact that princess has fresh water pools and they don't close the jacuzzi's down. I like the movies under the stars. I like to eat dinner when I choose. The balcony was sufficent. I'm definetely a princess girl.
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I also prefer Princess to RCI. I used to be a big RCI fan, but the changes they've made the last several years have sort of moved me to other lines.

They are building beautiful ships, but the public areas are now more like shopping malls than ships. They've also let their food departments slip slip slip away. They are also very busy now trying to draw large numbers of families.... which at my stage of life (getting old ) is no longer attractive.

I love the 24 hr Horizon Courts on Princess ships. And I think Princess wins out in both food quality and service.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Having just got off Star Princess I'll have to say, I love Princess, yes, they do have fresh water pools, but so does Royal Caribbean on all there new ships. Even with both the larger ships on Princess and Royal Caribbean, you never know there were that many people on board. The theater on Royal Caribbean is much nicer, the Princess ones do not fit the people, twice we could not see the show, no seats, doesn't happen on Royal Caribbean, plus the shows on Royal Caribbean are much more high tech than Princess.

I absolutely loved the food in Horizon court, in fact we chose to eat there sometimes so we could make the show instead of spending 2-1/2 hours in the dining room by getting there at 6:00....just too slow. We were only able to get the anytime dining, were 200th on a waitlist for regular seating....

I don't think Royal Caribbean does Alaska quite like Princess I will say, had a wonderful time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Admiral

They are both excellent lines but with the newest class of ships I feel it is RCCL hands down. Having said that, I think Princess is the way to go in Alaska.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Captain

I think both RC and Princess have beautiful ships. It would be hard for me to choose between them. I lean toward Princess, though, because I loved the Horizon Court food. They have more salad fixings and vegetables than any ship I've been on. I loved the food. Also, Princess has self serve laundrymats, which really come in handy on long cruises.

They are both very nice lines.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:22 AM
Beginner

I have to agree with you when it comes to the Princess Horizon Court. Great for a midnight snack, too. I also love the fresh water pools.

I'll be cruising on RCI for the first time in April on the Mariner of the Seas. Living out on the West coast, I've always been curious about the Voyager class ships. So when I found out that the Mariner would be coming out here, I immediately booked. But, I have to say, I haven't heard excellent reviews of the food. I know I'll miss my shrimp at midnight in the Princess Horizon Court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
I also prefer Princess to RCI. I used to be a big RCI fan, but the changes they've made the last several years have sort of moved me to other lines.

They are building beautiful ships, but the public areas are now more like shopping malls than ships. They've also let their food departments slip slip slip away. They are also very busy now trying to draw large numbers of families.... which at my stage of life (getting old ) is no longer attractive.

I love the 24 hr Horizon Courts on Princess ships. And I think Princess wins out in both food quality and service.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Admiral

I too agree with 90% of the above. Food, and Horizon Court on Princess absolutely wins hands down, but I think the entertainment in the theater is also better on Princess. Movies under the stars is cool too. RCI does have the ice skating show, which is IMO the best entertainment on the BIG ships, but that doesn't offset the crowd control, or lack of, aboard the RCI ships. I'll take Princess.

Ken
"Sky"
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you'll enjoy Mariner a lot. If you eat in the dining room with Princess, they also offer shrimp cocktail every evening, had it once, yummy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Passenger

I have to agree with most here, food and the Horizon Court open 24 hours is a big plus for Princess. However, in my mind, RCL trumps that with their ships. It is very nice to know that you can go get something substantial at any hour. For example, we always do second seating. On Princess we would got to the Horizon court at about 4:30 to 5 PM and get what the DW calls "pre dinner" just to hold her over to second seating dinner since we eat at 5:30 at home (normally). On our first RCL crusie we were stunned to see that the Windjammer closes late afternoon to prepare for dinner! Cafe Prominade and Johnny Rockets on the Voyager and Freedom ships is the only place to get a quick bite.

We also found the entertainment on Princess is a notch or two more sedate than RCL. I can't put my finger on an example, it's just an overall feeling the DW and I found.

But I return to RCL's ships. Simply stunning in all respects. IMHO no one has better ships than the Voyager and Freedom (and soon to be Oasis) class ships.
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old September 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Passenger

Just had my first RCCL cruise having only travelled with Princess before. I'm a definite Princess fan. I admit the cabins on Independence were bigger but the service was nothing like Princess standards & it was all a bit of an upmarket holiday camp by comparison. Wouldn't totally give up on RCCL but only if the price bettered Princess by lots!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Passenger

Default Attention shrimp fans

every cruiseline I've ever been on will give you shrimp cocktail if you just ask for it. you can get it every night if you want. I always order a "double"

Kathy ... admitted shrimp addict
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
First Mate

4 Princess and 15 RCCL, I like a lively mix of people, I think RCCL does it best. If you like a quiet time with a slightly older crowd then Princess.