CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Sea Sick Meds?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/355580-sea-sick-meds.html)

thecruisequeen September 2nd, 2008 08:45 AM

Sea Sick Meds??

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

Since the Gang (Hanna, Ike and Josephine) are insisting on cruising with me and they won't take no for an answer :roll: :evil: my question is what meds work best.
I'm concerned about my son I don't want him to get sick.

Any advise on which works best would be helpful. :D :D

cruisequeen September 2nd, 2008 09:33 AM

We have used Bonine in the past and it has worked well. My only suggestion is to take it the day BEFORE you sail as well as when you get on board. It will get into your system and once you've taken it for a day, you will get over the feeling of being sleepy.

I also have drank mint tea while on board if I get at all feeling a bit sea sick. I have also heard that ginger tablets work for some folks.

Good Luck!

EMG September 2nd, 2008 10:02 AM

I know when we cruised Carnival in the past, they had sea sick pills (free of charge) right outside the entrance to the infirmary. I don't know what brand they were but I guess they work because I didn't get sick.

Hobiecat01 September 2nd, 2008 10:39 AM

I'm going to pay attention to the answers here. My neighbors are going on the Oasis with us and both are worrying about getting sick. Got my pen out and taking notes...

cutiecat September 2nd, 2008 01:32 PM

Bonine or Dramamine both work well.

Scopolamine is the patch you put right behind your ear and change it every 72 hours. If you don't want to fool with pills, you can get a script for the patch but it's pricey.

Whichever you choose start using it the day before you go. Once the sea sickness starts it's not as effective as it is if you get it in your system before.

Dave the Wave September 2nd, 2008 02:27 PM

This always works for me! 8)

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery2/...s/511/4288.jpg

cutiecat September 2nd, 2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave the Wave

kiddies can't drink Dave.... :)

and where have you been?

Dave the Wave September 2nd, 2008 03:27 PM

I have been around :wink:

rburke September 2nd, 2008 04:23 PM

We use the wrist bands and they work well for us and have no side effects. :)

remerzian September 2nd, 2008 05:13 PM

My wife uses the wrist bands as well and she swears by them. She was a little skeptical at first but they really worked great for her.

ragtiki2005 September 2nd, 2008 09:51 PM

Dave is correct, stayed buzzed and you will forget about it. Bob

thecruisequeen September 2nd, 2008 10:18 PM

Thank you all for the response. :D

Where can I get a wristband? Is this something I can just pick up at the local CVS?? :-?

thecruisequeen September 2nd, 2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Dave is correct, stayed buzzed and you will forget about it. Bob

Bob I was asking for my son not for myself. He drinks Virgin Pina Coladas so no buzz! :D :D

SherryBabie September 2nd, 2008 10:35 PM

Re: Sea Sick Meds??

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Hello Fellow Cruisers!

Since the Gang (Hanna, Ike and Josephine) are insisting on cruising with me and they won't take no for an answer :roll: :evil: my question is what meds work best.
I'm concerned about my son I don't want him to get sick.

Any advise on which works best would be helpful. :D :D

Hey Mary,

Ok I'm the queen on this response since I get sea sick very easy. You get a prescription from the doctor for the transderm scop (patch). You put it on before you get on the ship and change it every 3 days. I've been through bad weather on past cruise ships and have never gotten sick, whereas others were tossing their cookies into the bread basket. Your Welcome
LOL

thecruisequeen September 2nd, 2008 10:45 PM

Hey Sherry Thanks!!

Are you cruising with the patch??

I guess I better get one from the DR for my son. :-?

SherryBabie September 2nd, 2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Hey Sherry Thanks!!

Are you cruising with the patch??

I guess I better get one from the DR for my son. :-?

yes, we will not sail without it.

remerzian September 3rd, 2008 10:11 AM

Cruisequeen,
Yes you should be able to get the wristbands from any pharmacy like CVS, wallgreen or rite aid.

rburke September 3rd, 2008 01:51 PM

Be careful of the patch. Some people have side effects similar to seasickness. It happened to me on our first cruise and as soon as I took it off I was fine. :)
Bob

thecruisequeen September 3rd, 2008 04:47 PM

Thanks all I'm going to go ahead with the wristband! :D :D

:D :D :D :wink:

m.grimm September 3rd, 2008 09:04 PM

Be careful of the patch. My son used the patch last fall and he still got sick, and had blurry vision the first couple of days. We had to read the menu to him at dinner. He put it on a day before we left as recommended. Just be careful. Ask the doctor first.