Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Default Taking 83 yr old father and female friend on cruise

We are taking my 83 yr old father (but looks about 65) and his female friend on cruise. Does anyone have any advise for us so that we won't want to jump off of the ship?
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Yeoman

Relax and enjoy the time you have with your aging relatives! Remember these are the times you will cherish in the future. Just try to go with the flow and chill out!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Passenger

I am smiling broadly as I type this... one of my DW and my fondest crusie memories...

Not knowing your father or friend, you may find that they have a wild streak in them that you never knew of.

On the Carnival Destiny in 1997, everyone on the ship was introduced to a 80+ man, Ed, and his wife at the first night's welcoming show. The cruise director (the famous and fantastic John Heald of Carnival fame) called Ed and his wife, Rosie, to the stage and challenged him. Each time Ed (from Georgia) heard John mention the word "peach" during the week, he was to come down to the stage and get on one knee and yell " Rosie, I love you!". John said that if he did this at all of the shows during the week he would get a prize. We all thought this was cute. Little did we know...

All week long, at every show (even two on the Pool Deck), Ed did this. By the end of the cruise EVERYONE on the ship knew Ed and Rosie. They were famous (and a huge hit on the cruise DVD). I would be surprised if they ever bought a drink. It was absolutely hilarious. At the end of the cruise, Carnival came through big time. At the last night's show, they gave Rosie and Ed several very nice prizes worth at least the cost of their cruise, jewlery and other gifts. The applause was thunderous! Ed and Rosie were clearly the hit of the entire cruise! I actually read an article about John Heald a few years ago and John actually mentioned Ed and Rosie. It clearly was a hit for him as well.

It was THE most heartwarming cruise experience we ever had and the talk of the ship.

So... watch out. You may find that your father and his friend could blossom in ways that you would not imagine. Even if they do not, I sincerely hope they have the time of their life. Cherish the time and all of you enjoy your cruise!!!
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Thanks for reminding me how important it is to be with family especially knowing how short life is. I plan to enjoy this cruise and mostly because I am able to do it with my dear father. It's true, we will be making memories that I will never forget.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

My advice...don't stay in the same room

Seriously. You should have a blast. I'm sure they will! You will never get that time back.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Passenger

They may surprise you. Cruises offer so much these days, I'm sure they will quickly find many things to their liking, and you may see less of them than you think! Treasure this opportunity. I have fond memories of taking my father on a cruise, and each cruise since I've sat on the balcony at night, watched the stars, and wished I could take him with me on a cruise again. I have to believe he's up there in those stars "with me" each time.
1995 Sun Princess
1998 Grand Princess
2001 Sea Princess
2002 Summit
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2005 Caribbean Princess
2005 Coral Princess
2006 Diamond Princess
2007 Crown Princess
2007 Grandeur of the Seas
2008 Emerald Princess
2008 Explorer of the Seas