Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict
Default Availability of non-alcoholic drinks ?

I'm trying to decide whether I should get a soda card on my upcoming RCI cruise.

On Carnival, I do not buy one. I am perfectly satisfied with the "free" drinks such as iced tea, lemonade, juice, and water. They are also generally more "available" (easier / quicker to get) than soft drinks. My DH only drinks soda - when I want a drink I just go to a drink station, grab a cup, and fill it up with one of the choices - when he wants a soda, he has to go up to one of the bars or find a waiter to go get him one.

So my question is whether this is similar on RCI...are the "free" drinks easy to get? Are there plenty of beverage stations with the tea, water, etc? If not, I will get a soda card and drink either (my travelling partner will definitely have a soda card and I can wait for my soda with her; like DH she can't live without the soda).

Thanks for your help

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:09 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Don't: know how long your cruise is for but Soda Cards are generally $ 5 per day per person. Some lines give you a cup to carry arond the ship for refills - other lines put a special sticker on your Sea Pass Card which you show when you want a refill. As I understand it - these soda cards are NOT unlimited.
- I think maybe for 20 or 25 refills. Most cruise lines serve Coke and as we personally prefer Pepsi so we
bring a 6 pk or two either when we board or buy it at our first
port stop. The down size of the soda card - you have to carry that darn cup around with you like a little kid. We pretty much use the Pepsi for our
cabin.

Mariner of the Seas - Jan. 2009 Around the Horn B2B - 30 days

Future Floats: Jan. 2011 - Rotterdam - Hawaii/Tahiti - 30 days

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Passenger

I see you are going on the Mariner OTS. You will love that ship. It is one of our favorites! Coffee, tea, water and lemonade is available in the Windjammer any time is is open. I does close in the late afternoon for hour or so for them to setup for dinner. RCL serves Seattles' Best coffee in the Cafe Promenade which is open almost all of the time - if not 24 hours (I just can't remember.) We always got our coffee at the Cafe Promenade.

RCL uses the sticker on the card deal for sodas ( at least they did on the Liberty last July). They do serve Coca Cola products ( OK with me, we're from Atlanta where Pepsi is taboo...) and you can go to any bar to get a soda. They are served in a small 8 oz. plastic cup. There are also sodas in your cabin frig. Make sure you know how much those are before you our your husband get into those.... if I remember they are about $3 each??

I've not heard a limit on the # of sodas you can get, I would ask. It would not surprise me though, these days. The cards are only available for a few hours on the first day as well so, decide and get one as soon as you get on board.
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Cruisin Mama
Don't: know how long your cruise is for but Soda Cards are generally $ 5 per day per person. Some lines give you a cup to carry arond the ship for refills - other lines put a special sticker on your Sea Pass Card which you show when you want a refill. As I understand it - these soda cards are NOT unlimited.
- I think maybe for 20 or 25 refills. Most cruise lines serve Coke and as we personally prefer Pepsi so we
bring a 6 pk or two either when we board or buy it at our first
port stop. The down size of the soda card - you have to carry that darn cup around with you like a little kid. We pretty much use the Pepsi for our
cabin.
On RCI, the soda card is $6 + 15% gratuity per day. You do NOT have to use the cup that you are given, but can get fountain soda at any bar or restaurant - as much as you want. No limit.

Ice water and lemonade, iced tea and juice (breakfast only for the juice) is available in the Windjammer whenever it is open. The Cafe Promanade is 24 hrs. and has coffee, tea and ice water available (you can always brew a cup of tea and pour it into a glass of ice for iced tea. We always bring a sports bottle and fill it with our beverage of choice in the WJ and then carry it with us to the pool or on excursions. Individual cans of soda are, I believe, around $2.15 including gratuity. We, too, are Pepsi drinkers (well, DH is, I don't drink soda), so pack our own.
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:59 PM
First Mate

Hobiecat01 - Thanks for the good news about the Mariner - our first on her and first with RCCL so am excited but also rather anxious that all will
go "ok". Our last cruise was on Celebrity's Summit through the Panama Canal and everything on that ship was top-notch. I will miss the Thallossomy Pool - guess the Mariner's is outside but big - I don't think there will be many children or teens on this trip as it is for 46 days (we are
just doing the first two legs). This will be our longest and most expensive
to date - still can't believe we are going - just keeping my fingers crossed
until we actually set foot on the ship. :o 8)

The breaths you take are nothing compared to the moments that take your breath away !!
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Cruisin Mama
Hobiecat01 - Thanks for the good news about the Mariner - our first on her and first with RCCL so am excited but also rather anxious that all will
go "ok". Our last cruise was on Celebrity's Summit through the Panama Canal and everything on that ship was top-notch. I will miss the Thallossomy Pool - guess the Mariner's is outside but big - I don't think there will be many children or teens on this trip as it is for 46 days (we are
just doing the first two legs). This will be our longest and most expensive
to date - still can't believe we are going - just keeping my fingers crossed
until we actually set foot on the ship. :o 8)
You will love the Mariner! It is one of the most beloved ships in the RCCL line. 46 Days!!! I didn't pick up on that earlier... If I ever had to be on cruise ship for 46 days, Mariner would be my choice. Besides being huge, but feeling smaller, you will love hanging out at the Cafe Promenade with a cup of coffee and people watching on the "Main Street" the Royal Promenade. Also one of my favorite spots is deck 4 (or 5, I have the Freedom class on my mind right now) outside. After lunch DW & I always take a book and sit in a lounge chair, watch the sea and try to read...zzzzz. It is one of the most peaceful areas of the ship!

Enjoy your cruise and let us all know how it goes.
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
First Mate

Actually it's 30 days for DH and I - we leaving the cruise in Valpariso and
flying back to Orlando and then home. I was totally shocked when DH said "let's go for it" as we have never done this type of trip for this length of time before. The third leg is continuing on to some other stops in
Chile and then along the Mexican Riveria (Acapulco and Cabo) which we
visited two years ago when we did the Panama Canal.

As you love the Mariner so much - please tell me more, more, more !!
We have a cabin on Deck 7 - on the starboard side on the "hump" which I
am happy with. How is the food??? I have read alot of different reactions
and opinions about the food quality - this is a major "thing" with my husband and, like I said earlier - Celebrity was over the top in that dept.

From what I understand, there are over 800 passengers who are doing the
entire 46 days but that could change as we still have just about 4 months
left. I am presently looking at the different shore excursions - we definitely want to see the penquins as "up close and personal" as we can get. DH really doesn't care to do ship tours partially for the expense - he
like to just "wing it" and hire some of the locals at the piers - that's ok for
the Caribbean or Mexico but I think the ports we are visiting are a whole different story - partially for the language differences and some of the cities (RIO) are not that safe, or so I have been told. Hope that is wrong.