Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default steak surcharge

Royal Carribbean is going to charge $ 14.95 for a 10 ounce New York strip steak in the main dining room on both the Freedom of the seas and the Majesty of the seas.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Admiral

The cruise line is adding a Chops Grille steak onto the dining room menu for the $14.95 charge, the usual dining room steaks are still included at no charge.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Anyone know if the Explorer is doing this........Where can you find this stuff out.

Thanks
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM
First Mate

Scott where did you get your information that regular steak would be served even though they are charging for strip steak?Looking at info on Travel USA this does not appear to be their intention.Charge for steak anytime is to be implemented. Need comments from others on their understanding of this new policy.
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
First Mate

If dining room is charging for steak.........then why not JUST go to Portifino's and eat. Isn't it $20.00 pp to eat there.
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Admiral

We were on the Majesty early this month and they do still have the anytime stak beside the 14.95 steak. The 14.95 steak is supposed to be an organic steak but I don't remember reading that on the menu, just Chops steak. No one at our table bought it so can't tell if it was better or no.

This is only on the Freedom and Majesty. It is a test to see how well it is accepted.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
Scott where did you get your information that regular steak would be served even though they are charging for strip steak?Looking at info on Travel USA this does not appear to be their intention.Charge for steak anytime is to be implemented. Need comments from others on their understanding of this new policy.
I have my sources at RCI. The purpose is to give the dining room patrons the option of getting the specialty dining steak (supposed to be a better cut of meat, more tender and slightly larger), and of course to make some more money. The regular dining room menu is still in effect, including the steak that is normally served in the dining room on every RCI cruise.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the FYI.

Business Card Cases
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Familiar Face

For $14.95 vs $20, I'd go to Chops instead. The service is unbelievable, the portions enormous, huge shrimp cocktails,large selection of steak/fish/poultry and of the highest quality along with wonderful desserts. Reserve early and get a beautiful window seat. I travel solo and it is a nice break from same old dinner companions. It's great place for formal nights too. I guess if you order one in the dining room for $14.95 you could share with your partner since the portions are so big. Just thoughts--I sure could go for a top sirloin baseball cut right now. Yum...Gotta start planning. Happy cruising.
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Admiral

I always make sure that we are really hungry before entering Chops. So much food and we hate wasting anything. Bob
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Sounds like a bit of nickel-diming to me. Or should I say more like a $14.95ing.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
First Mate

When the cruise line start charging extra for "GOOD" food, then we'll stop cruising. If they are in financial difficulties due to their menus then we suggest that they start charging those passengers who order two (or more) appetizers, entrées and deserts.
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

This is the article from Tripso.com. Credit Given where credit due!

__________________________________________________ _________
Cruise passenger have gotten used to paying surcharges for for special restaurants. But for the main dining room? No cruise line has gone there — until now.

Now Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines is pushing the fee envelope by charging for the main dining room.

For now, the surcharge is only one dish: a 10-ounce steak. And the additional cost is $14.95. The steak was first reported to be “organic” but it is now called an “an all-natural strip steak” according to Royal Caribbean spokesman Harrison Lu. Supposedly, it is a trial to see if customers want “all natural” beef and that eventually the steak will be moved to the alternative dining room “Chops” that already carries a surcharge.

Yeah, right. And if Royal Caribbean determines that people will pay extra in the main dining room, I am sure they will go back not to charging for anything there as soon as the trial is done.

In addition to their specialty restaurants, most cruise lines already charge for sodas on board, specialty coffees and some extra goodies outside the main dining rooms. Princess Cruises, for example, has some “modestly priced items” in its International Cafe, and seafood appetizers for a “modest-per-item charge” in some of their wine bars. Along with a Nathan’s hot dog, Brooklyn Brewery Beer and slice of cheesecake for sale from room service on the Crown Princess.

But meals in the main dining rooms have remained one of the last vestiges of all-inclusive dining on cruise ships. Along with the idea that you can order anything from hamburger to lobster and not worry about the price.

If this Royal Caribbean “trial” works out, what’s next? A lobster surcharge? A second dessert surcharge? Hey, if the airlines can get people to pay $6 for a box of little salty snacks, I think the sky, or rather the sea, is the limit.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
When the cruise line start charging extra for "GOOD" food, then we'll stop cruising. If they are in financial difficulties due to their menus then we suggest that they start charging those passengers who order two (or more) appetizers, entrées and deserts.
I agree.

On our first, and only cruise to date, I found the food in the main dining room a little disappointing. However, I would not have been happy to have seen a surcharge for something better. Personally I think the food in the main rooms should be of a "better" standard and the food in Portifino's or Chops, be of an "exceptional" standard. Sadly, both are neither.

Food, out of 10

Windjammer 6
Main 6
Portifino's 8

Service, out of 10

Windjammer 4
Main 8
Portifino's 11.....!

$14-95 would make it a 4 (with a scowl) in the main!!

Mark

Liberty of the Seas
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
First Mate

Does Explorer has Chops or Portifino's and what is the price per person...

Thank you........
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Passenger

Just got back from Hawaii and there was no surcharge on the dining room menu. We were offered a NY Strip Steak Dianne on one of the nights. The other nights there was always a Black Angus Sirloin available (it was a bit chewy but had good flavor). We ate at both Chops and at Portofino and both were excellent! At Chops we both had the 10 ounce Filet Mignon and it just melted in our mouths! The beef is top quality and aged to perfection which really makes a big difference. At Portofino, the Seafood Skewer is perfectly cooked (lobster tail, jumbo prawns, large scallops and salmon). I highly suggest the house desert at Portofino which is just as beautiful as it is delicious, a chocoholic's dream (and it comes with a shot of a Kahlua concoction on the side) Yummmmy! True, the food in the main dining room is only of average quality, but you would be a fool not to pay the additional $25 to try Chops or $20 for Portofino. We were only sorry that we did not make more than just the one reservation at each restaurant. I live in Portland and we have "El Gaucho" where a 10 ounce Fillet Mignon runs around $80 and that is ala cart. Then you pay anywhere from $6 to $12 dollars for your sides. I'm telling you the steak at Chops was BETTER than the steak I had at "El Gaucho". Pay the $25. You won't be sorry.

Radiance of the Seas 9/26/2008 - Hawaii

Life is a journey...enjoy the ride!
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Familiar Face

[/i][/b] I did hear another thought on this on another forum. People that are traveling with kids, don't always like to take them to Chops or Portofinos. If dad wants one of those Chops steaks, he can now get it by paying the extra fee. Yes, I too, would rather pay the extra & go in the specialty restaurants.

Old October 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Default Paying $14.95 for a "larger steak"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
I have my sources at RCI. The purpose is to give the dining room patrons the option of getting the specialty dining steak (supposed to be a better cut of meat, more tender and slightly larger), and of course to make some more money. The regular dining room menu is still in effect, including the steak that is normally served in the dining room on every RCI cruise.
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Dumbest move yet.... Charging extra for a "slightly larger" steak. The only thing dumber would be paying for it! Just give me the smaller steak included on the menu, and if I want more, I'll ask my waiter to bring me another "free" one!

It reminds me of the people who dine at Burger King, and are asked if they want to purchase a small, medium, or large soda. Being that refills are free, why do people pay extra for the large drink? Is it so that you don't have to get out of your seat to refill your cup?
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Royal,

In response to your query, Explorer of the Seas does have Portofino's but does not have a Chops Grille. To attest to Portofino's outstanding quality in both food and service, I need only tell you my wife, her two nieces and their families are purebred Italian (my late in-laws could barely speak English) and they though the food to be primo. We know a little something about proper service as well as we used to dine at the Escoffier at the Culinary Institute of America. The CIA is where your chefs for many of the country's finest and most exclusive restaruants are schooled and where proper table waiting etiguette is also learned.

Todd
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Fellowcruisers,

In answer to your question about the cost of the $14.95 steak, I found that information on Vacations to Go Newsletter. Here it is:

"But in a highly controversial move, Royal Caribbean has added a $14.95 surcharge for every 10-oz, "all natural" New York strip steak ordered in the main dining rooms aboard the Freedom of the Seas and the Majesty of the Seas. According to the cruise line, this surcharge is part of an ongoing trial to determine whether passengers are interested in paying an additional fee for a higher-quality cut of meat.

Initially, there was some confusion as to whether the 10-oz strip, with its additional charge, would replace the 7-oz Black Angus steak traditionally offered in Royal Caribbean's dining rooms. However, the cruise line has confirmed that the 7-oz steak will still be available along with its other regular entrees, at no extra expense.

The 10-oz steak is also being tested in Chops, one of Royal Caribbean's specialty restaurants. However, the surcharge will not be applied to steaks ordered in this venue, since this restaurant already has a cover charge."

Hope this helps.

elf
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Elf, I received that letter today also in an email from them..Bob
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello again,

Frankly, why not be satisfied with the 8-oz steak? Who says you can't order another one in the main dining room and it should not cost you, right???

elf