Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
First Mate

Default Is it just Royal.......?

Reading the boards as of late, I am becoming increasingly anxious that Royal will be nickeling and diming all the pleasure out of our trip in March. I am on record in other posts that I would much rather pay an extra $50 or so for the cabin and keep the lobsters/mints/etc... as part of the amenities than have to pull out my card every time I turn around to pay for extras. I know there is the argument that these costs should not be added to everyone as everyone may not like those particular extras, but I get the feeling those would be a significant minority. I can see the up-charge for Portifino’s and Chops (and to a lesser extent for Johnny Rockets, fancy coffee drinks and Ben & Jerry’s), but for some of the cutbacks that have been discussed here I think Royal may be poisoning their own well. I know the line needs to remain profitable, but to do so in such a way makes those all inclusive land deals look more attractive.

Is it just Royal Caribbean doing this, or has this spread to Carnival, Princess and the other major market players?

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Excellent concerns. All cruise lines seem to have the extra fees for the types of extras that you mention. Royal does seem to be pushing the threshold, we'll just have to see what the passengers limit will be.

It's almost become a challenge to see how little I can spend now.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM
First Mate

I think you can bank on it being across the board in all lines. Sad but a sign of the times

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Carnival pre charges tips ($10 per day per person), charges for the supper club (I think it's $30 per person), charges for coffee drinks, fuel surcharge ($7 to $9 per person per day), corkage fee for dining room $10 for supper club $14 (each person 21 & over is allowed one bottle of wine), and bottle of hard alcohol can be purchased per cruise at between $40 to $60 per bottle. Carnival doesn't have a Ben and Jerry's or Johnny Rockets.

Carnival's alcohol policy is quite differnet from Royal. It's my understanding you can not pre purchase bottles of hard alcohol from Royal and you can not bring on board a bottle of wine. I hope Carnival doesn't change it's rules.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM
Yeoman

The cruiselines has to draw a line, how much can we charge extra for before people stop cruising? I personally don´t think that lobster is that important and don´t really care if they stop serving it (on our recent NCL-cruise they served it once in the main diningrooms, part of Freestyle 2.0 I think) and I seldom eat the little piece of chocolate we get on the pillow each night. That doesn´t mean that I want them to stop doing those things.

If the cruiselines say "we need to save money", take everything away and see how many of your loyal customers who comes back! In my opinion it´s much better that they raise the prices than taking things away.

People who wants to pay for only the things they use can always choose to cruise with Easycruise, there you pay a low price for the cruise and then you pay extra for everything.
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
It's almost become a challenge to see how little I can spend now.
When the dinning rooms become full payable restaurants, as they most probably will, occasionlly not having dinner will not seem so much like loosing out on that already paid for. It might even be an incentive to help loose weight...
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM
Passenger

My cruise on liberty had Lobster and mints...I will miss the lobster but we left a huge pile of mints for the room guy!

I did see on my latest cruise that they seemed to be almost pushy with selling crap.

The cook book....our waiter, as. waiter and head waiter all asked us if we wanted to buy it. Then the Waiter Asked us one more time before he would give us desert. Then they had a culunary showcase...which turned into nothing more then an advertisement for the cookbook.

the royal prominade had sales every day with crap stack in the way. It was like this before on my last two cruises but this time the sales people were almost Cozumel like. "Come on over and look" "Can I show you this watch" ..Push push push. If I want to buy your $500 watch I will come into the Jewelry store and buy the $500 watch. Whats next guys in long coats on the pool deck, opening them up and saying "pssst...want to buy a cheap watch"

And finally the Picture people. I am sure I am not alone in this. This cruise I did not feel I needed my picture takin. I mean we only buy a few and we already knew which ones we wanted to buy. Every time on or off the ship they bugged the hell out of me. I politely say No thank you. and they are like come on this will be a great shot...and I say no thank you and they are like it will only take a seconded. by day 5 my wife and I just walked passed them and ignored them!

But I still really enjoyed my cruise. Royals Ships are top notch. There food is top Notch. I do not mind paying for Johny Rockets...it is only $7 for the two of us...and Chops was well worth the $50...That meal on land in the US would be an Easy $100 meal. And lets not forget the Rock wall, Flowride, Ice rink, putt putt, basketball, and shows are all still free. I still think that cruises are worth the money.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:22 AM
Beginner

My wife and I have started commenting on how Princess nickled and dimed us on our last cruise. No free ice cream, extra money for corking, extra money for soda. They even tried to charge us 3 bucks for orange juice at breakfast in the buffet one time! It seemed like every time I turned around, they wanted our cruise card.

And the quality seems to have gone down a bit. Even the coffee, which used to be superb, and something to look forward now, is bland and tasteless.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I sadly agree, I think its the sign of the times....basically the major cruiseline will all be making cost cuts, lets just hope they don't cut the majority of cruisers out of the loop...

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I look at this from a slightly different perspective. When I went on my first cruise (about 20 years ago), a lot more was included, food was better quality with more selections, there was a themed midnight buffet every night, etc., etc. However, the price relative to my earning capacity at the time was huge.

Now, cruiselines need to fill these huge ships they have built - and they can't do that by simply raising prices in order to keep all of the previously included amenities - people just couldn't afford to pay that much so will find other ways to vacation. By keeping the base price low (and it really is low), they can offer upcharges to those who want and can afford them, but leave the basic cruise available to everyone.

No one is forcing you to pay for special coffee drinks, ice cream, soda, spa treatments, or any other extras. A person can actually cruise and stay pretty close to the base price if they want. Actually, I never use the climbing wall, basketball court, flow-rider or mini-golf - maybe they should start charging for these things as well - just a thought.
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Admiral

$3 for orange juice on a cruise? Ouch! Bob
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
RCI charged for Orange Juice??? Carnival doesn't. Carnival is not really cutting back on anything.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old October 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
RCI charged for Orange Juice??? Carnival doesn't. Carnival is not really cutting back on anything.
Royal does not charge for OJ.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham
They even tried to charge us 3 bucks for orange juice at breakfast in the buffet one time!
I find this hard to believe. I have never been charged for OJ on Princess.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you are having breakfast in either the dining room or Horizon court and want OK, no charge. If you order it through bar service, say, on the pool deck, thats where the charge come in, otherwise its no charge.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 2nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
No one is forcing you to pay for special coffee drinks, ice cream, soda, spa treatments, or any other extras. A person can actually cruise and stay pretty close to the base price if they want. Actually, I never use the climbing wall, basketball court, flow-rider or mini-golf - maybe they should start charging for these things as well - just a thought.
Sorry but if they start charging for that stuff then I am done with royal. That would be my straw. It would be like disney world advertising mickey mouse and then charging you to see him once you get in the gate.

And as for the size of the ships causing the problem....I highly doubt that. I mean If I am losing money because my ship is too big why would I keep building bigger and bigger ships? If this logic is true then they are building them to lose money!?!? I don't think so!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
Quote:
They even tried to charge us 3 bucks for orange juice at breakfast in the buffet one time!
Belive it. My wife and i were having breakfast at the horizon court, and two staff rolled up with a tray of fresh squeezed organge juice, and asked if we wanted some. I forgot to get some earlier, so i said sure.

Thats when they asked for my cruise card.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
First Mate

Obviously the key words here are "fresh squeezed". There was a time when all orange juice was such, with some ships actually having a machine where the oranges were inserted. The only line that we know of that serves at least Tropicana non-concentrate is Oceania. What passes for orange juice aboard these days makes one want to bring aboard a container of Tropicana to put in the fridge. Or will they also be taking that away from us in the naughty room?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Belive it. My wife and i were having breakfast at the horizon court, and two staff rolled up with a tray of fresh squeezed organge juice, and asked if we wanted some. I forgot to get some earlier, so i said sure.

I would have just given it back and go get the free OJ.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Yeoman

I agree that EVERY business has begun charging for things we used to get for free. The air lines now are charging for luggage (who travels on vacation without bags?). Eating establishments are charging for refills on drinks, coffee and in some cases for water. Banks are charging for all kinds of previously free services. So why bash the cruise lines? They are going with the trend to charge for things to "save money" for the company. No I don't like being charged for every little thing. I would stop cruising if I had to pay for: my meals on board, to watch the shows, and for room service. Lobster is something I don't eat to that doesn't bother me but GOD FORBID they take away me chocolate Deserts! I think if people didn't use some of the fee based services, maybe the cruise lines would begin offering some things for free again or elliminate these fee'd services. I don't pay for better coffee, ice cream or deserts. But that's just me. I never thought I'd pay for specialty dining until I won dinner at one. Now, I would pay for that experience and the food!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would have just given it back and go get the free OJ.
Which is what we did. We went up to the buffet, picked up a few oranges, and squeezed them ourselves!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Admiral

That is crazy they are going way too far with this. It is weird Carnival doesn't charge for juices. but Princess is owned by Carnival and they are charging.

Past Cruises:
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisequeen
I agree that EVERY business has begun charging for things we used to get for free.
We never received anything for FREE; we paid for it in the cost of the cruises. Now they want us to pay for the cruise AND the service AND the steaks AND the Orange Juice AND, etc.

The two schools of thought are,
a) Price the cruise to include everything, and
b) Why should I pay for things that I don't use or consume?

Our preference is a), otherwise we could possibly be faced with a shipload of people setting up hot plates in their cabins...
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
That is crazy they are going way too far with this. It is weird Carnival doesn't charge for juices. but Princess is owned by Carnival and they are charging.
The OJ on Princess is free. According to a poster, the "fresh squeezed" OJ is what is being charged for.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
The OJ on Princess is free. According to a poster, the "fresh squeezed" OJ is what is being charged for.
I don't even think it is worth it even if it is fresh squezzed. I would rather spend my money on something better than OJ.

Past Cruises:
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:21 AM
david30101

carnival has self serv fountain drinks...coffie..hot chocolate..juice ...punch..OJ..water..plus the ice cream..24 hours a day..ALL FREE..I will be trying out RCL for the first time next month..
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Familiar Face

We also have been cruising almost 20 years. I see all points of view & I like all the little things such as mints on the pillow. But, like I said, some of those are little things. I don't want to start paying extra for a cruise for things like that. I enjoy the cruise experience. I'd rather have it more affordable. So sometimes they have to look at some places to cut costs. It's still a great value for the money. Especially for us as we live in Florida so we don't have to pay airfare.
Remember the cost & size of a Twinkie.
Then it started getting smaller & smaller. It's every where & everything.