CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Royal Caribbean International (
-   -   What would happen if I.... (

EMG October 18th, 2008 05:58 PM

What would happen if I....
Put a deposit down on a cruise that leaves in March 09 but didn't finish paying for the cruise by the deadline, which is 12/28/2008?

I'm thinking about going on the Mariner from LA to Mexico in March of 09 but I'm not going to pay it all upfront but I want to be sure I have a cabin. The total cost for the cruise is about $1800, I have to leave $500 as a deposit I will make payments but won't pay it off till probably mid Jan, but no later than the first of Feb.

Will they refund my money and give away my cabin if the balance isn't paid by then but say....... more than half is?

I didn't ask the planner at RCCL this because I didn't want to give them any reason to "not book" my trip because they already know my intentions.


yellosno October 18th, 2008 07:15 PM

If its a 7 day cruise, you must make the final payment 70 days before sailing. If you can't make that payment just cancel and you will get your deposit back. If you cancel 69-30 days before sailing you lose the deposit. 29-8 days you lose 50% of total price. 7 days or less no refund.

spencercoop October 18th, 2008 11:56 PM

Yellosno pretty much covered it.

EMG October 19th, 2008 11:38 AM

It seems as though my question wasn't answered. "I" didn't plan on canceling, I planned on paying, just self-extending my paid in full due date, will RCCL cancel my cruise if it's not paid by the due date or will they see that more than half the payments made as a good faith effort that I plan on paying for the remainder of the cruise.

venice October 19th, 2008 12:09 PM

I suggest you let them know now and work out an arrangment instead of waiting until the last minute

blueliner October 19th, 2008 01:53 PM

There are a lot of factors to determine if RCI would let you keep your cabin if you didn't pay in full by the final payment date. Including how well the ship is selling and the current economic status. If you just allow the final payment date to pass and do nothing, the accounting dept. of RCI will try to contact you and if unsuccessful, they will just cancel the booking and refund your money in the form it was paid. However, if you contact RCI before the final payment date, you may be able to work out an extension of the final payment date for a week or so, two weeks at the absolute most. That would depend on how that particular ship is selling and how full it is. Either way, you will have to speak to RCI and get the final payment deadline extended, or they will cancel the booking. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Irish Shark October 19th, 2008 02:11 PM

blueliner covered it in the most positive light. However, on my upcoming cruise on Princess, the TA made a mistake and sent my final payment to Princess; but it was $550 short. Princess contacted the TA and I had to pay the $550 that day or they would cancel my reservation.

I doubt that RCI would be any different. They are not in the business of lending you credit and they will want full payment when due.

Robbie H October 20th, 2008 08:58 PM

Why not cancel now and wait for the "ambush rate" period? With a bunch of cruises under my belt, I still do book WAY in advance or wait until after final payments have come due.

seadog2 October 20th, 2008 09:34 PM

I have gotten an extention from RCI in the past. You have to call and requested it. We explained the reason for the extention request and it was granted. Just don't wait until the last minute.

valentine couple October 21st, 2008 02:26 PM

If you booked through a TA, they may just try to put the remainder of final payment on due date with your CC that you registered with them. It depends on their policy.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1