CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   No irons or steamers.. what to do? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/358076-no-irons-steamers-what-do.html)

Mike-Suz November 6th, 2008 09:19 AM

No irons or steamers.. what to do?

I'm happy to report that we are just 10 days away from our very first Royal Caribbean cruise aboard Freedom Of The Seas... I'm stoked!!!!!

However... the Mrs. is beginning to hit me with the tough questions.
Yesterday it was... "Is the entire ship walking around with wrinkled clothes?"
No irons allowed, no steamers allowed and they don't provide a laundry room... so my good friends... aside from that spray on wrinkle release product, are there any worthwhile tips to solve this dilemma.

Irish Shark November 6th, 2008 12:18 PM

Steamers are OK.

dina November 6th, 2008 12:33 PM

You can also use the spray that takes the wrinkles out. Downy Wrinkle Releaser They come out great.

rinker250 November 6th, 2008 01:14 PM

We took a steamer with us on our NCL cruise.
Never used it...just had the ship press our clothes for real cheap.

gerif November 6th, 2008 02:33 PM

There's a certain amount of dampness, especially if you are sailing to the Caribbean - just hang the clothes and the wrinkles will fall out. You can also hang a few items in the bathroom while you shower. For stubborn creases, dampen the area and then hit it with the hairdryer (particularly good for cotton knits).

If you have something that REALLY requires ironing (e.g., anything linen) - seriously consider leaving it home. If you must have it, sent it out to be pressed - only 1/2 the price of cleaning and worth it IMO (spoken as someone who has not owned an ironing board in over 20 years).

CaptainAmerica November 6th, 2008 03:52 PM

No Irons Necessary

Try packing your clothes in 2-gallon zip lock bags. I place one item in each bag, sit on it to squeeze out the air, and then layer them in the suitcase. When we get on-board, we hang everything and never have to worry about wrinkles. If something does need a little touch up, just hang it in the bathroom while you shower and the humidity will have it looking like new.

Side benefit - we changed planes in Atlanta this past Spring during a thunderstorm. Our bags were soaked from sitting on a luggage cart outside, but our clothes were still dry when we got to the ship!

seadog2 November 6th, 2008 09:50 PM

Smuggle....... Just kidding. LOL

Mike-Suz November 7th, 2008 12:10 AM

All of your ideas are very appreciated. I THOUGHT I read that steamers were not allowed on board... perhaps I was wrong. But if a portable steamer is allowed, that solves my problem. Thanks again!

katlady November 7th, 2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2

There no room in the bag after I pack my portable BBQ and 12 pack of beer. Boy, on a day at sea there having is nothing like a beer and grilling steaks on your own private balcony. :wink:

Robbie H November 7th, 2008 01:23 PM

As mentioned, Downey Wrinkle Release is IDEAL for cruising!

peninsularoad November 7th, 2008 06:54 PM

We still take a little iron and have had no problem, however, without an ironing board, it is very hard to iron!

rinker250 November 7th, 2008 07:02 PM

To all:
Is there a line that DOES NOT offer an ironing board and iron in the laundry?

dina November 8th, 2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinker250
To all:

Actually... There is no laundry room/ironing boards on RC ships.

rinker250 November 8th, 2008 10:34 AM

That seems odd....any others?

Mike-Suz November 8th, 2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
Quote:

Originally Posted by rinker250
To all:

Actually... There is no laundry room/ironing boards on RC ships.

This is the crux of our situation... I sure hope Royal is worth it because I never had these problems on Carnival AND I was able to bring my own wine on board!
Ok I'm getting a little dramatic... I know we're going to have an amazing cruise!

gerif November 11th, 2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peninsularoad
We still take a little iron and have had no problem, however, without an ironing board, it is very hard to iron!

They are expressly prohibited because they are a fire hazard - please do NOT bring one.

brewtown November 11th, 2008 12:09 PM

I hope I never have to worry about a steamer or iron on a cruise. Seriously, why worry about something so minor relating to a cruise? Just hang your clothes on your balcony and let the humididty handle it.

:-P Or if you are like DTW, all you need is a case of Budlight,2 or 3 swimsuits,flip flops and some t-shirts. The rest will take care of itself. :D

ragtiki2005 November 12th, 2008 12:40 AM

Believe me, Dave has absolutely no worries on a cruise and neither do I. Bob

Kay_O November 14th, 2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerif
Quote:

Originally Posted by peninsularoad

They are expressly prohibited because they are a fire hazard - please do NOT bring one.

Yes, PLEASE do not. I was evacuated from a hotel one morning because someone started a fire with their in room iron. Now imagine this happening in the middle of the ocean. Scary.

darmstader November 14th, 2008 12:10 PM

steamers are allowed, or you can use your blow dryer!.

Also, if there is a person who won't shut up at your dinner table, tell that person you need them to come back to your room. When they ask why, tell them that they are full of hot air and you need them to steam your clothes!

Mike-Suz November 14th, 2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darmstader

Actually that's incorrect, the boarding docs we received expressly state that irons and steamers are both prohibited on board. Blow dryer is a fine idea!
Hey it's too late to worry bout it now... we're leaving for Miami tomorrow!

Irish Shark November 14th, 2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-Suz
Quote:

Originally Posted by darmstader

Actually that's incorrect, the boarding docs we received expressly state that irons and steamers are both prohibited on board. Blow dryer is a fine idea!
Hey it's too late to worry bout it now... we're leaving for Miami tomorrow!

This is new. They have updated the FAQ.

Onboard Policies

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Aside from the obvious (and illegal) items not allowed onboard, there are other items we cannot accommodate onboard.

Prohibited items:
Candles
Coffee Makers
Electrical Transformers (not including personal electronics: cell phone chargers, laptop power adapters etc.)
Flammable Liquids and Explosives (such as fireworks)
HAM radio equipment
Hockey sticks
Illegal Drugs
Irons/Clothes Steamers
Personal Alcohol
Skateboards
Surfboards

ragtiki2005 November 15th, 2008 01:38 AM

Who in their right mind would bring a coffee maker on a cruise? Drink beer instead! Bob

dina November 15th, 2008 07:47 AM

I want to know why someone would pack a hockey stick. LMAO

rinker250 November 15th, 2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
I want to know why someone would pack a hockey stick. LMAO

They had to LIST that!?????

I only take baseball bats, so I'm good.

ragtiki2005 November 15th, 2008 01:59 PM

With the hockey stick, you could start a pickup game of ice hockey in Studio B! Bob

MyLady November 16th, 2008 12:34 PM

coffee

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Who in their right mind would bring a coffee maker on a cruise? Drink beer instead! Bob

Actually every travel agent I know and stewardesss too all bring their own
travel coffee makers on board - mostly because the coffee served , unless you go for the specialty coffee, tates like water passed through used grounds. :)

seadog2 November 16th, 2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2

There no room in the bag after I pack my portable BBQ and 12 pack of beer. Boy, on a day at sea there having is nothing like a beer and grilling steaks on your own private balcony. :wink:

That sounds great!! I'll have to give it a try.