Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Passenger

Default RCL getting chintzier and chintzier

Just called up to find out about a Dec 1 cruise from Miami and was told
starting next year they will not credit both stock shares discount AND platinum/diamond discount which they do now.

Starting in 2009 it will be one or the other.....meaning instead of $400 off a balcony they will only give you 200 period.

So why did I bother to buy the shares ?

these people are idiots - when the economy and reservations are going down, they're taking away the enticements.

Arrrgggh. Just wasted money buying shares a week ago !
straight divorced female 60-ish seeks gal cabin mates 40's to 60's interested in sharing expenses for Caribbean and European Transatlantic-repositioning cruises and land trips: Bahamas, southern Caribbean cruise, Mediterranean cruise Greece Prefer balcony when affordable.
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Captain

Hate to defend "RCI" but the shares benefit has always been a renewable perk. That's why we didn't buy them. Due to a tougher economy, non-cruising shareholders probably appreciate "RCI" doing what it needs to do to stay afloat (pun intended). I do understand this not being very palatable for you personally but "chintzier," seriously?
Old November 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Default Yes chintzy as in nickel and diming

now charging $15.00 extra in regular dining room for those ordering steak - and i'm not talking about the specialty restauramts...

if you take one obc which you are entitlted to, not allowed to use coupon or other formerly allowed discounts.

purely as a marketing device, I reitereate these are the wrong moves for any company - essentially raising prices , while every other company is offering discounts and more.

Furthermore, beyond chintzy - they're the only company insisting on maintaining the fuel surcharge based on a convoluted formula, while the other ships have dropped the fuel charges.I wouldnt be surprised if there wont be complaints to and investigations by the Florida State Attorney
straight divorced female 60-ish seeks gal cabin mates 40's to 60's interested in sharing expenses for Caribbean and European Transatlantic-repositioning cruises and land trips: Bahamas, southern Caribbean cruise, Mediterranean cruise Greece Prefer balcony when affordable.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Yes chintzy as in nickel and diming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLady
now charging $15.00 extra in regular dining room for those ordering steak - and i'm not talking about the specialty restauramts...
The charge isn't for anyone ordering steak. It is a test program only offered on 2 ships, Majesty and Freedom, and it is for the Chops Grille quality steak being served in the dining room. Cruisers can still get the same steak that has been on the dining room menu forever at no additional charge. If a cruiser wants the speciality restaurant Chops Grille quality steak but doesn't want to go to the restaurant or it isn't offered onboard that ship, they now have the option of getting that specialty steak in the dining room at an upcharge. I doubt that test program will last much longer and will probably be pulled within the year.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Seems like a dumb move in this economic times, just like our cable going up....I would think for some, they'd drop some of their premium cable channels and then they higher the rate, not a smart move, IMO.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

They announced the change well before you purchased your shares last week.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Default Announced change

Whether they announced it or not - it is still chintzy and unwise.

I have no reason to work toward being a diamond therefore for an additional discount.

Frees me up to go on other cruiselines

I just called up to book a 14 night April 2009 transatlantic which is being offered with a $200 off for past passengers if booked by Nov 30 2008

So I asked if that 200 was in addition to the $250 shareholder benefit....
answer was no, one or the other.

And by the way,if you read investor relations, it says absolutely nothing about its being a "renewable perk" or uncombinable.

Bad business.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Captain

Granted the fine print may be small but how do you think the rest of us knew the perk had a time period i.e, an expiration date (that they had been "renewing" for a few years)?

I am not trying to throw down the gauntlet here, or be a Champion for "RCI," just getting tired of folks that can't find the "Cruise Gripes" section and then ramble about something they themselves messed up on.
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Announced change

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLady
And by the way,if you read investor relations, it says absolutely nothing about its being a "renewable perk" or uncombinable
I'm disappointed as are you, as I have received both for a long time; however, it does state in the annual report that the 'perk' is limited and must be renewed on an annual basis.

BTW-Welcome to CruiseMates!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Passenger

Default snooseman's post is obnoxious

snoozeman's post "They announced the change well before you purchased your shares last week." is obnoxious.

They announced it to who, when, where, the world ?
You make it sound like it was in the NY Times.
I purchase stock all the time and can not find that information unless I am looking to dig it out.
Give the guy a break, he is annoyed that he purchased shares and RCCL has cost him some money.
Why should cruisers with 1 to 4 cruises under their belt get the discount and a guy with 10 cruises (Diamond), not get the benefit.
My Diamond benefit and my shareholder benefit are for two different things.
RCCL made a bad call.
G&V
Port Saint Lucie Florida
35 + Cruises