Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Familiar Face

Default RCCL alcohol policy

We will be cruising on Jewel of the Seas 12/19/08 to the Panama Canal. This is our first time on RCCL. On previous cruises with Princess and NCL we were able to bring wine that was packed in our suitcases. Does anyone know how strict is RCCL with this policy?

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Captain

Default Re: RCCL alcohol policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvia
We will be cruising on Jewel of the Seas 12/19/08 to the Panama Canal. This is our first time on RCCL. On previous cruises with Princess and NCL we were able to bring wine that was packed in our suitcases. Does anyone know how strict is RCCL with this policy?

You should not have a problem if the wine is in your checked bags. If it's in your carry-on, you will probably lose it.

If you want to take the wine to the dining room, they will charge you a corkage fee. Last time I checked, it was $12.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Passenger

On Royal Caribbean, you can bring in any alchohol as long as it is packed with our check in luggage. We've taken 4 bottles of wine, 2 of champaign and a litre of vodka and a fith of khalua and never had a proble. However, if you try to carry any on, they will take it away!
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Default corkage fee

on last cruise, I bought a bottle of unusual wine in Spain and brought it to
the table for all to try.

The corkage fee was $25.00
straight divorced female 60-ish seeks gal cabin mates 40's to 60's interested in sharing expenses for Caribbean and European Transatlantic-repositioning cruises and land trips: Bahamas, southern Caribbean cruise, Mediterranean cruise Greece Prefer balcony when affordable.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Default Our checked baggage was not delivered to our room

On our last RCCL cruise we packed a bottle of Aspi Spumante, as is our custom, in our checked luggage. The luggage had a lock on it. Several hours after boarding we received a call in our stateroom asking us to come to Security to open our luggage. We did and the bottle was removed and we were given a receipt. It was returned to us the last night of the cruise. We are hesitant to ever do it again, since we noticed signs posted upon boarding warning that bringing alcohol onto the ship "may" result in denied boarding. We appreciated RCCL confiscating and then returning the bottle and taking no further action and we don't want to risk being in that position again. We did it because we were under the assumption that checked baggage was not x-rayed -- wrong !
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:23 AM
First Mate

Default Just a word to the wise!

You can check the RCI policy on their web site.
It prohibits bringing alcohol onboard. This is a result of some bad press and lawsuits. You are most welcome to give it a shot and bring it with you, but there is a good chance it will be scanned and held until the end of your cruise.
It may be hit or miss, but lately have heard far more hits than misses when it comes to confiscating alcohol.
Good Luck.
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

On RCCL You are NOT allowed to bring any alcohol on board for personal consumption, either carry on or in your luggage.

That being said, many do, but be prepared to have it taken away.

You can order wine for your cabin through the Gifts and Gear section of RCL, but no spirits.

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Passenger

FYI, hubby and I are leaving out of Galveston on Voyager of the Seas on 12/14 and I called RCCL to find out their policy of bringing alcohol on board in our checked luggage. I was told ABSOLUTELY no alcohol can be brought on board, be it checked luggage or carry on. Really SUCKS!!! It's not like we're going to bring on an entire bar with us, just a bottle or two of wine. Just thought I would pass this along.
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
Passenger

The easiest way is to pour the wine into water bottles and put it in your suitcase. Just go to the bar, get 2 wine glasses and pour your wine before you go to dinner and carry your wine glasses into dinner, then no corkage fee!
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Passenger

wine in water bottles doesn't work. They are checking that also. They will call you and ask you to take a drink. Really just buy a package deal and done with it. You can buy it all on line through the gift section.
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Passenger

Royal Caribbean wants to get as much of your hard earned money as possible and their liquor policy is a reflrction of this greed.

It is, however very easy to get liquor onboard. Rum Runners are quite popular and are undetectable. Purchase their large bottle of water onboard and empty it. The container is a unique color and when filled with a clear liquid like rum, gin, or vodka it is undetectable. As you board with your smuggled booze head for the stairs not the elevator. It is a quicker escape route and you are less likley to be followed.

The idoits that check you in are easily fooled by decoys. Use an empty bottle and carry it in plain sight while hiding your real booze. They will take the empty without noticing it and you slip in with the real stuff.

One final caution. They are so fanatical about their liquor policy they will actually come into your cabin and conficate it if you leave it out in plain sight. Hide it in your closet or in your empty suitcases under the bed.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

A bit crude but it SUCKS

Old December 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Passenger

Default We're back!

Hi everyone! Bob and I are back from our Voyager of the Seas cruise and it was wonderful! I will post my review in a few days. Have family coming in for Christmas so I'm a little busy!! Hope everyone has a blessed and safe holiday!

Ren

We are back from Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston!
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ESIURC_ROVEL Send a message via MSN to ESIURC_ROVEL Send a message via Yahoo to ESIURC_ROVEL
Default ssantow, ssantow, ssantow why not private me...etc

HI. I am not form your area and may be more guidance and clarity, PLUS I have no idea what a 'rum runner ' is can you assist. So, please private me a bit more about this alcohol policy stuff, and some other questions.

Thanks.
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssantow
One final caution. They are so fanatical about their liquor policy they will actually come into your cabin and conficate it if you leave it out in plain sight. Hide it in your closet or in your empty suitcases under the bed.
You seriously have first-hand knowledge of this?

I've never had this happen, or heard of it happening, and would be VERY upset if anything from my cabin was taken. I kind of doubt this as I know of one person who would not be getting any tip at all at the end of the trip, and since these guys work for tips I find this highly unlikely.

Most of the time for me I give a little tip at the begining of the week and the steward fills up my collapsable cooler with ice every day.

Then again my methodology is way more discreet/covert then most and doesn't involve original labeled containers.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ESIURC_ROVEL Send a message via MSN to ESIURC_ROVEL Send a message via Yahoo to ESIURC_ROVEL
Default your methodology is way more discreet/covert...huh?

re: Getting Alcohol on Baord...

You said " Then again my methodology is way more discreet/covert then most and doesn't involve original labeled containers".

Hmm, ok, please elaborate, thanks? PS What is a rum rummer also (is that a drink or a label of rum on rccl or what?
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: your methodology is way more discreet/covert...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESIURC_ROVEL
re: Getting Alcohol on Baord...

You said " Then again my methodology is way more discreet/covert then most and doesn't involve original labeled containers".

Hmm, ok, please elaborate, thanks? PS What is a rum rummer also (is that a drink or a label of rum on rccl or what?
Well Im hesitant to give away my tricks on a public board but common knowledge is that bags are x-rayed and liqour bottles have a distinct profile compared to other containers. You can take it from there.

Google rum runner if you like for info. Im not quite at that point in my contraband smuggling career.

There are the few who are brazen in their work and God speed to them. I dont have the need to be that way.

BTW I find it not worth the effort to do this for beer YMMV. I also abide by the unwritten code of conduct of the International Booze Smuggling Brotherhood Local 119 in that taking it out into the puplic areas for consumption is a no no. Not only is it just plain tacky its also a pain in the butt to go all the way back to the cabin to refresh you 2 gallon bladder buster insulated mug from 7 Eleven.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Default re: Drinks etc - please...just tell me, THEN PRVT ME

Please prvt email me or send me an email ad we talk on my own email accounts, PLEASE.....thanks
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM
Familiar Face

Default Alcohol policy

We're just back from our first RCCL cruise to the Panama Canal. After reading all the replies to my initial inquiry, I decided it wasn't worth the risk to pack wine in with our luggage (which, incidentally, the airlines charged us $80 checked baggage fee to check, but that's another story). Once onboard, I was sorry I hadn't taken the risk. Everyone I spoke with brought spirits aboard in their luggage -- JUST DON'T LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE!! Duh. The wine we like is very inexpensive here -- only $5.29 per bottle. On board, the same exact wine was over $33, including the 15% gratuity!!! Outrageous, say I. I know the cruise lines are in business to make $, but that is simply ridiculous. :evil: :evil:
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to inspired by truth Send a message via MSN to inspired by truth Send a message via Yahoo to inspired by truth
Default What is verdict then - policy/practice clarification

Well I hear/see so many conflicting ideas please clarify?

What NOT to do:
- lock luggage
- put in in your carry on
- bring it outing public
- do not leave it out in sight in cabin

What to do:
- bring what they sell on board
- once you make it, go up the staries not the elevator (huh-why..?)
- bring beer or wine they offer
- expect t pay a major corkage fee of $15-30?
- rum runner (still have no idea what that is..)?
- bring a wide-mouth dark cup for ice and buy a soft drink card
- maybe just pre-order wine in a package

Does any of this make sense, need fixing and/or need clarification? So, how was that..?
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:54 PM
First Mate

so is it better to put the liquor in your carry on or in your checked luggage............
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Admiral

You can take the elevator with your stashed liquor. The liquor police do not hang out in the elevators. Happy New Year everyone! Bob
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Familiar Face

so is it better to put the liquor in your carry on or in your checked luggage
Quote:

NEVER, EVER PUT YOUR LIQUOR IN YOUR CARRYON -- IT WILL MOST DEFINITELY BE CONFISCATED FIRST OF ALL BY THE AIRLINE POLICE. IF YOU GET THROUGH THAT HURDLE, THE CRUISE POLICE WILL POSITIVELY, ABSOLUTELY CONFISCATE IT. AND DON'T LOCK YOUR LUGGAGE, AS THAT'S A 100% GUARANTEE THAT THE CRUISE PEOPLE WILL INVESTIGATE AND CONFISCATE.

YOU CAN BUY A BOTTLE OF WINE AT ANY OF THE BARS TO BRING TO YOUR CABIN, IF YOU'RE WILLING TO PAY THE OUTRAGEOUS PRICE.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What is verdict then - policy/practice clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired by truth

What NOT to do:
- lock luggage
- bring it outing public

What to do:

Does any of this make sense, need fixing and/or need clarification? So, how was that..?
For clarification I think the stairway vs elevator comment was to not stand around waiting for the elevator when trying to smuggle on board after buying in an island.

As far as locking luggage I always lock my checked luggage no matter whether it has the booty in it or not.

Im not a trusting soul.

Flying is a different animal of coarse.

If drinking from a collostomy bag is you thing....
http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

There are other containers that can be used. Some people are so into it they pour out Listerine Bottles and fill with booze of the same color. Im not going there.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in MD
Quote:

What NOT to do:
- lock luggage
- bring it outing public

What to do:

For clarification I think the stairway vs elevator comment was to not stand around waiting for the elevator when trying to smuggle on board after buying in an island.

As far as locking luggage I always lock my checked luggage no matter whether it has the booty in it or not.

Im not a trusting soul.

There are other containers that can be used. Some people are so into it they pour out Listerine Bottles and fill with booze of the same color. Im not going there.

R

Valuables SHOULD NEVER be carried in checked baggage.
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell in MD
Quote:

What NOT to do:
- lock luggage
- bring it outing public

What to do:

Im not a trusting soul.

R

Valuables SHOULD NEVER be carried in checked baggage.
I consider all my possessions valuable.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Ecstacy Western '92