Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Passenger

Default Shopping George Town, Cozumel?

What is the best shopping? Looking for leather handbags and I am really not interested in jewerly. I like pottery and some things for my grandbabies ages 10,7, & 6. Maybe some clothing for hubby. Anyone have any suggestions. Don't want to waste my time if the shops aren't good. Thanks, Jeanne

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Grand Cayman is a rather "wealthy" spot. I certainly wouldn't expect any bargains there at all.

Aside from being well off, a "gazillion" ships stop there on a daily basis. The retailers don't have much incentive to sell cheap.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Passenger

So do you know anything about Cozumel?I heard that the shopping at Montego Bay isn't that good either. So I will know where to spend some time shopping so I can go to the beaches and do other things while in the Ports. Thanks for the input. I don't like to shop much anyway but thought I would pick up a few things for the family. "little purses for my girls and something fun for the boys. Are we allowed to buy pocket knives there if they have any?Thanks for the input. I need all the help I can get. This is my first cruise so I really don't know what to expect.

Old November 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Default GC and Coz

GC: caters to the wealthy. Beautiful stuff, more beautiful (high) prices.
Cozumel: Spectacular leathers....negotiate! Super shopping, my wife's eys glaze over as we approach the island....Jewelry, pottery, leathers, just about anything you want. Get off the main drag too and check out some of the smaller shops. She LOVES Cozumel.
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for the response! I will save my shopping for Cozumel! This will be so helpful to me and the girls that are going on the cruise. We can't do everything so we can do something else in the GC and save the shopping where we can get the better deals!!!! We first time cruisers need all the help we can get and we all need to get the most out of a $ especially now. I would hate to think I spent all my shopping money and then get the best deals in our last port! Thanks again.
Jeanne

Old November 20th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Familiar Face

Grand Cayman is only good if you want perfumes, etc. Everything else is pretty pricey. I don't think any of the ports in Mexico are good for shopping. They don't bargain much & can get pretty rude. However, if you are in to pottery, that's probably about the only thing they are good for & you should be able to get some good deals.

Old November 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Cozumel cheap stuff - blankets $5, tshirts $5. Do remember you can always negotiate prices.

Happy shopping and fun times!

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Passenger

What about the money? Do they take American $ or do I need to have the money converted? Thanks for all the input. I need all I can get. I have done research but nothing compare's to experience. What about the lanuage barrier?

Old November 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Yes, american dollars. Check these sites out:
http://www.cozumelinsider.com/
http://www.magicaljourneys.com/Mexic...mel-tours.html
http://www.seauonboard.com/

http://www.studyspanish.com/index.htm

Heres is some of the sites I used for all my research before my cruise. The seauonboard site was great one on one reading.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Passenger

Thanks I will check them out and tell the other GF's that are going. The more we know the better off we are,,,,

;-)

Old November 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Passenger

I totally agree with many of the other folks about Cozumel. DW and I have enjoyed shopping in Cozumel for many cruises. We consider Cozumel the best overall shopping spot in the Caribbean including St. Thomas, who most folks love. Cozumel has bargains everywhere and add negotiation, you can really get great bargains. Leather (as you noted), blankets, liquors, electronics and jewelry (even thought you are not interested) is abundant and priced differently all across town.

We have found if you grab a cab and go to the very far end of town away from the cruise docks (up North), you, can negotiate the best prices... most folks don't seem to get up there! We learned that from a cab driver about 10 years ago.

We have never been impressed with Georgetown, Grand Cayman. As someone noted... very expensive and they do not have any incentive to back off of any price. To us it's much like shopping the the local high-end stores here in Atlanta. Try Cozumel... I truly believe you will find it to be the best!
RCCL C & A Platinum Members

10 total cruises on Carnival, Princess & RCCL
Next Cruise:
2009 - Undetermined yet, but looking
2010 - April 17 - Oasis OTS
2011 - Asia - THE 14 Day Big One...