CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Serenade of the Seas or the Liberty of the Seas? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/358491-serenade-seas-liberty-seas.html)

BCFlutie33 November 20th, 2008 01:23 PM

Serenade of the Seas or the Liberty of the Seas?

My girlfriend and I are trying to decide between booking a last-minute trip leaving 12/13 or 12/14 on either the Serenade of the Seas or the Liberty of the Seas. Any advice on which to pick?

Serenade of the Seas: ports of call at St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados.

Liberty of the Seas: ports of call at Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.

I have never cruised Royal Caribbean before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

katlady November 20th, 2008 03:35 PM

There is quite a bit of difference bewteen the Liberty of the seas and the Serenade of the the Seas.

The Serenade of the Seas is a Radiance Class ship it doesn't have a Flowrider, an ice rink, or a Royal Promenade. It is an older ship its Maiden Voyage was August 1, 2003. Length: 962' and Passenger Capacity: 2,501.

The Liberty of the seas is a freedom class ship has the Flowrider, ice rink (with ice shows) and a Royal Promenade where they have a parade. The Liberty of the seas Maiden Voyage was May 19, 2007. Length: 1,112' and Passenger Capacity: 3,634.

I like new big ships so I would go with the Liberty of the Seas. I have not been to the ports of call on either ship so I can only speak to the differences in the ships. I normally cruise out of California so I know Alaska and the Mexican Riveria. I do know Grand Cayman has Stringray city.

Donna November 20th, 2008 04:29 PM

That's a tough one, I like the ports better on Serenade, but if you haven't cruised on a Freedom class, its a good time to try it out and Royal Caribbean. Lots to do onboard if you like to keep busy, great pool deck, wonderful entertainment.

You'll need to decide on ports that you want to visit..

nycruiser75 November 20th, 2008 05:42 PM

Well, the ports of call of Serenade are kind of better, but the ice show on Royal Carribbean ships is awesome. SOS does not have an ice skating rink, so you will miss it if you take SOS. Also, we like the royal promenade, which you do not have on Serenade of the Seas. It is a nice place to hang out, have a drink and they also have parades there.

skymaster November 20th, 2008 06:34 PM

I personally, prefer the smaller RCI ships. Less crowds, and just a nicer atmosphere IMO. As the other posters have noted, the ports of call are better on the Serenade as well. I'd prefer the SOS, even though the ice show is the "star attraction" aboard the ships that have the ice rink. SOS entertainment will be excellent as well.

Ken
"SKY"

yellosno November 20th, 2008 07:26 PM

I have done both ships a couple of times and all of the ports mentioned. The Serenade has the better ports for this date, but for me it is a no brainer. The Liberty.

Kuki November 20th, 2008 07:34 PM

I'd personally never book the Liberty, but have sailed the Serenade before and wouldn't hesitate to book her again.

One of the prettiest ships interiors on the seas, and a perfect size.

seadog2 November 20th, 2008 10:12 PM

That's a tough one. I've been on the Serenade twice and loved it both times. Yes the ports are better than the Liberty. I've never been on the Liberty but I have been on the Freedom and I loved it too. Man, that's a toughie. Which ever one you choose i'm sure you will have a great time.

BCFlutie33 November 21st, 2008 10:35 AM

Thanks for your responses--they are all very helpful. For those who said that the ports of call for the Serenade are "better" than those for the Liberty, what about those ports are better?

Also, I am thinking of booking a "guaranteed balcony" where the actual room location is unknown. Any suggestions on whether this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks!

katlady November 21st, 2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCFlutie33
Thanks for your responses--they are all very helpful. For those who said that the ports of call for the Serenade are "better" than those for the Liberty, what about those ports are better?

Also, I am thinking of booking a "guaranteed balcony" where the actual room location is unknown. Any suggestions on whether this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks!

Do you get sicksea? If so you want something lower on the ship and in the middle. I don't get sicksea so I always book the "guaranteed balcony" hoping for an upgrade. My best upgrade was from an oceanview to a balcony suite. That is not normal, my last upgrade just put my higher on the ship (same room type), which I liked.

gottacruz November 21st, 2008 06:59 PM

serenade or liberty of the seas

Hi guys,
havent been on the liberty as yet, but have been on the serenade, was on the ship in sept to alaska, my next cruise is going to be on the mariner of the seas, to mexico. :D

thecruisequeen November 21st, 2008 11:26 PM

Liberty - Promenade, Ice show and Flowrider. 8) :-P

Dave the Wave November 22nd, 2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Liberty - Promenade, Ice show and Flowrider. 8) :-P

I agreee with what ever the Cruise Queen says. 8)

seadog2 November 22nd, 2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCFlutie33

Thanks!

For me ,I would rather have more ports than sea days. The atmosphere of the islands are simular though there are some differences. For the Liberty, Haiti is RCI's own private port (great bar-b-que lunch there). Grand Caymens are very nice a bankers delight. Cosumel is nice also. I also enjoy all of the ports that the Serenade visits.