Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Default Review of my Majesty OTS cruise!

This was the 8th cruise on RCI for me, and my 3rd cruise on the Majesty of the Seas. This cruise was scheduled for 4-nights in the Bahamas embarking from Miami, FL, with stops in Nassau, Coco Cay, and Key West. I was part of a travel agent group for this cruise, and thus my wife was not along for the cruise. My wife and I cruised together on the Adventure of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean about 5 weeks ago.

Embarkation

I flew in to Miami on Monday morning and caught a taxi for $24 to the pier. I did the online check-in and once again made my check-in time with the clerk only about 2 minutes. I arrived about 12:45pm and was through security, through the line and onboard by 1pm. A very easy embarkation, my cabin was ready when I walked on the ship.

The Ship

My 3rd cruise on the Majesty OTS (2nd since she was dry docked and had a $40 million refurbishment) and she was just as beautiful as ever! The Majesty OTS was built in the early 1990’s, but received the massive makeover in February 2007. The public areas were clean and spotless. The crew keeps the ship clean, polished and up to date. Because I was part of a travel agent group on this cruise, we were treated to some special tours of the ship’s bridge, the ship’s galley and the crew’s quarters. All these tours were very eye opening and spectacular!

The Cabin

I was booked into a Category I, oceanview cabin on deck 8. I was in the very forward part of the deck in cabin 8002. My actual oceanview was pretty limited by the lifeboat right above the window, but the cabin itself was very nice. The cabin has the flat screen TV mounted high up on the wall, the upgraded bedding, decent closet space and a small desk/vanity.

The Staff

Of course the highlight of any RCI cruise is the service. Every crewmember had a smile and a greeting for me morning, noon and night. My stateroom attendant did spectacular, kept the cabin spotless and handled my simple request with ease. The dining room staff was the true stars of our cruise experience. Our entire wait staff performed superbly. They were very efficient, did their jobs well and I enjoyed the dining room experience every night. Everywhere we went the service from the RCI crew was great.

Ports of Call

I have been to all these ports multiple times, so there were no surprises here for me. Our 1st stop was Nassau, Bahamas. I took an excursion called “Forts and Pirates”. The name turned out to be a little misleading. It turned out the excursion was really a bus tour of Nassau itself. We did stop by 2 forts, see the Queen’s staircase and end the tour at the Nassau Pirate museum. The 2nd stop was the RCI private island of Coco Cay. I spent the entire time, about 5 ½ hours, on a hammock in a secluded spot on the island. I alternated between napping and reading! The 3rd stop was Key West. I just wondered around Duval St. all day, in and out of the shops, bars and museums.

Dining

The upward trend in food quality from RCI was evident on this cruise as well. I really enjoyed the dining room menu and selections. There seemed to be a nice variety of menu choices every evening. I usually ate breakfast in the Windjammer, which seems to be limiting the time the food is spent out and under the warmers, which makes it much better to eat. I also ate in the Johnny Rocket’s, very good burgers and shakes! I also ate at the Compass Deli, which I had never ate at before and I really enjoyed the selection of sandwiches and soups. Also, the Sorrento’s pizza was really good to. The Johnny Rocket’s, Compass Deli, and Sorrento’s Pizza are all one deck up from the Windjammer at the forward end of the ship. Windjammer is on deck 11, the others just above it on deck 12.

Entertainment

Our entertainment was good, I only saw one production show and saw the same comedian twice. I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise director, Ricky, and his staff. I am proud to say that yours truly was part of the gold medal winning team at “The Quest”!

Disembarkation

As usual, the debarkation process was simple and quick. I placed my luggage with the colored tags outside my cabin, and I was out of my cabin by 7:30am the next morning. I ate breakfast and during my meal my luggage tag color was called. After I finished, I simply walked off the ship, no line at all to get off, went to the luggage claim area and collected my luggage, got in a taxi and it was off to the airport I went!

Overall Report

I would definitely give this cruise an 8 out of a 10. I had a very relaxing cruise, and my only complaint was the cruise was only 4 nights, way to short! I really love the Majesty of the Seas. She may not have all the activities and amenities of Royal Caribbean’s other big ships, but she makes for a nice relaxing cruise ship for those looking for a nice getaway to the Bahamas.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Good review Scott. Glad you had a great time even though it was a quick cruise. Bob