Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Default Frowned upon?

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in a few weeks and I was wondering if we purchase only one soda card, is it frowned upon if we both order drinks on it? I am trying to save money since this was a last minute vacation, and money is tight!
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Frowned upon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool
My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in a few weeks and I was wondering if we purchase only one soda card, is it frowned upon if we both order drinks on it? I am trying to save money since this was a last minute vacation, and money is tight!
You can only get 1 soda per card. Usually on Royal, they give you a unique glass you get to keep and always refill it in that. Therefore, just get an empty glass, pour soda in that one and then go to another bar and refill the soda glass!
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

This is what my DH did on our cruise. I bought the card and passed the drink on to him went to the next bar and got my drink. Very easy to pull off....and you are not the ONLY one that would be doing this.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old November 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Too bad they don't have wine cards.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old November 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The question reminds of when I owned a restaurant, and featured an all you can eat ribs and wings night. Had a table of 8 come in. Two ordered the special, and then kept ordering refiils for everyone at the table.... until I heard about it!

It's all YOU can eat, or all YOU can drink. NOT ALL everyone on the ship can drink!

With this theory, you could just stand at the bar and order sodas for everyone who wants one

Sorry... but ..... that's the way I see it.
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Agree,it's stealing.
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Passenger

One card may pose a problem in the dining room if the server/asst server is strict, they have always checked both our cards on RCI and Celebrity
Old November 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Agree with Kuki here - it really is theft however you may look at it - and pretty tacky to boot. Would you go into Old Country Buffet, order one "meal" and both eat from the same plate?
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just wouldn't even consider it, its stealing any way you look at it. Either buy a coke card for both or just drink the iced tea and lemonaide that is at no cost to you. I agree, its pretty tacky to say the least. Remember, you're on vacation, so enjoy it, if you want the coke card for both, pay for it and not have to worry or be "frowned apon".

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Oh man that is Embarrasing.. you spend all that money on a cruise...........but purchasing 2 coke cards would be a delema in the pocket book... ??????

Just go ahead bite the bullett and purchase 1 for each of you... I couldn't be that sneaky to save the small amount for the endless pop fountain that you are going to be able to get...

Really, it is worth it... trust me...

Save the embarrasement ......and if you see others doing it I have to agree with the rest of t he ppl here that is just not nice and it is stealing.... They will catch you!!!!!!!!!!!

Carnival- 1982
Holland America- 1987
Disney Magic- 2004
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur of the Seas- 2007
Royal Caribbean- Explorer of the Seas- 2009
Royal Caribbean- Explorer of the Seas- 2010
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I say if money is tight and you limit it to soda I won't lose any sleep over it. Even Kuki knows a bar basically pays $.01 per each soda a fountain dispenser makes. Wings & ribs are different.

OK - I'm not telling everyone to do it, but if this makes the difference between whether or not you can enjoy your cruise, I don't think it is going to break RC's bank to pour you a few extra OZs of soda.

Apologies to the people offended by the larger consequences of this - technically it is stealing, but in this case the monetary damages are pretty small.

My wife and I do it in restaurants where they give you refills on soda - no one really seems to mind. I hardly drink more than few sips anyway. And if she didn't order it I would have water anyway.
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Passenger

Wow, according to all these people, then everyone who ever shared a coke at a restaurant or fast food place with an all you can drink dispenser, then they have "STOLEN".

Actually, unlike the rules and regulations where it states you can't bring booze on board, nowhere does it state you can not share a coke that was purchased from a card, therefore, "technically" it is not stealing, it is "sharing"!!!!!!!!
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sorry to disagree with all the high-falutin' (whatever that means) but if it makes a difference to you monetarily there is no shame in having to watch your money.

If you find it embarassing just share the same glass, no one will catch you.

I guess I am immune to embarassment (probably why my wife won't take me anywhere) because I just do it all the time. I have even ordered water and poured myself lemonade from the self serve fountain!!!!! I know, I guess they'll come to arrest me tonight!

Speaking of which, if you really want to save money, don't drink soda. Its over-priced. Drink the free lemonade or iced tea from the buffet restaurant. For maximum convenience, bring your own thermal mug and fill it up inside and take it by the pool.

I am "old-school" and I think cruises should be inclusive and service oriented. Now, I am no longer surprised when I ask a bar waiter by the pool for an iced tea and they say "you can get those yourself inside," but it does chafe my hide to hear it.

I love a ship where I ask a bar waiter for an iced tea and they go inside and get me one. THAT shows me I am on a classy ship. I don't expect that on anything less than Celebrity, Princess or Holland America, though.
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:22 PM
First Mate

Get one card, enjoy
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Admiral

I hope that this is taken as it is honestly meant---but--- if money is so
tight that buying an extra soda card actually hurts that much, then I would really, really think twice about whether or not I could afford the cruise at all.
It, to me, would be like spending a lot of money on a t.v. and then wondering if I should watch it because I was worried about the electric bill.

Old November 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Frowned upon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool
Those soda cards are expensive-you really have to drink a lot of soda to make it worthwhile do the math. They pour it from the bar gun anyway, so it's usually flat and served in plastic. Buy as you go, get a real glass and a whole can, you'll probably save money and have a better soda and no reason to be sneaky.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Admiral

I usually get one but the rest of my family doesnt really drink soda, so the whole cruise I might have to get one for one of the people in my family. So if it is like one or two, i really dont see it as stealing.

Or like if two people are sharing one and they only drink one soda each each day.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Familiar Face

Just bring cans on the ship from a port and drink them to your hearts content. They taste better that way....We even take them to dinner with us sometimes....
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I say if money is tight and you limit it to soda I won't lose any sleep over it. Even Kuki knows a bar basically pays $.01 per each soda a fountain dispenser makes. Wings & ribs are different.

OK - I'm not telling everyone to do it, but if this makes the difference between whether or not you can enjoy your cruise, I don't think it is going to break RC's bank to pour you a few extra OZs of soda.

Apologies to the people offended by the larger consequences of this - technically it is stealing, but in this case the monetary damages are pretty small.

My wife and I do it in restaurants where they give you refills on soda - no one really seems to mind. I hardly drink more than few sips anyway. And if she didn't order it I would have water anyway.
Paul stepping out on the wild side....normally mr conservative. I like it! 8)
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Passenger

The reason the soda cards are so expensive in the first place is the cruise company is already pricing in the cost of 2 people drinking off of 1 card. If they would price it more in line of 25.00 per person, I think people would be more apt to buying 2 instead of sharing!
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Admiral

How much does Royal Caribbean charge for soda cards becuase I don't think Carnival's are that over priced.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstader
The reason the soda cards are so expensive in the first place is the cruise company is already pricing in the cost of 2 people drinking off of 1 card. If they would price it more in line of 25.00 per person, I think people would be more apt to buying 2 instead of sharing!
Well, $25 would your "acceptable" limit, might be $10 for the next person, and $5 for the next. How much is a beer worth... the same price you'd drink it for at home, or the same price you'll pay happily at Carlos and Charilies in Cozumel?

Who should be the one to decide what it's worth? Or who decides at what level it's ok to cheat the system?

Perhaps we should turn it all around, and just let every individual decide for themselves, what's right or what's wrong.

We could also let everyone's bosses decide what their employees are worth, depending on their performance each week.

I know every well I'm talking about all kinds of extremes. And that may not make sense to many.

I just think if there's something for sale, and the price is clearly marked, I buy it or I don't.... my decision. If I think it's over priced, I'm more than willing to try and negotiate a better price. But if even the negotiated price seems high to me, I simply don't buy it.... with no hard feelings toward the vendor. I don't say... oh that's too high, so I'll steal it.

That's simply my "moral compass". I'm not sure that should be affected because the cost of the item is low. I don't think there should be a sliding scale... it's ok if under $20, but I'd never steal anything over $100. The next person's sliding scale may start at $1000, or $10,000, or.....

If we try really hard, none of us have any problem finding a way to justify just about any actions we take. We just make right and wrong a moving target.
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Familiar Face

8) Kuki is right, stealing is stealing whether it's a soda or something more. If you you don't like the deal, don't buy it. " Not really" stealing is like being a little bit pregnant. 8)
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Admiral

I'm with you Kuki....
If you really want it, just buy it. If you don't drink that much, just buy it by the can when you have a taste for it or go for the iced tea, which BTW, is very good :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstader
Well, $25 would your "acceptable" limit, might be $10 for the next person, and $5 for the next. How much is a beer worth... the same price you'd drink it for at home, or the same price you'll pay happily at Carlos and Charilies in Cozumel?

Who should be the one to decide what it's worth? Or who decides at what level it's ok to cheat the system?

Perhaps we should turn it all around, and just let every individual decide for themselves, what's right or what's wrong.

We could also let everyone's bosses decide what their employees are worth, depending on their performance each week.

I know every well I'm talking about all kinds of extremes. And that may not make sense to many.

I just think if there's something for sale, and the price is clearly marked, I buy it or I don't.... my decision. If I think it's over priced, I'm more than willing to try and negotiate a better price. But if even the negotiated price seems high to me, I simply don't buy it.... with no hard feelings toward the vendor. I don't say... oh that's too high, so I'll steal it.

That's simply my "moral compass". I'm not sure that should be affected because the cost of the item is low. I don't think there should be a sliding scale... it's ok if under $20, but I'd never steal anything over $100. The next person's sliding scale may start at $1000, or $10,000, or.....

If we try really hard, none of us have any problem finding a way to justify just about any actions we take. We just make right and wrong a moving target.
Is taking 2 packets of sweet and low considered stealing? If so, I think 3/4 of America should be charged with petty theft!
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Darm,
I think you are talking about something entirely different with the sweet and low. They are not charging you for the sugar to go in your coffee or tea. There are other drinks you can consume with no charge, if people choose the soda, they can either purchase the card or buy them by the can.

When going out to a restaurant to eat, most people don't just order one soda to share, they each order one and pay for them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Maybe I'm just dense, but I still can't figure how something so simple as whether or not one can or cannot afford a soda can be such an issue. I'm not trying to be anything other than honest but if buying / consuming soda on a cruise is going to affect me that much, then my financial trouble goes much deeper than the price of a soda.
If I remember correctly, on my last cruise in October, a can of Coke was
$ 1.75, plus .15 % tip--that equals out to $ 2.01 for a can. Cheaper than most restaurants ashore.( A few days ago at Olive Garden restaurant my wife and I paid $ 2.25 each for cokes.)

Where each person draws the line regarding theft is, I guess, up to each person. No, it's not going to break RCCL or any other cruise line if you sneak a soda. But if you buy one card and then others use it, in my opinion, you're getting something you didn't pay for ( which seems to be the trend today ) and it's not right, in my book.
I'm sure the cost of a soda card reflects the fact that the cruise line knows this goes on and builds in a certain few cents to make up for it.
Retail stores build into their prices the cost of shoplifting, thereby passing on the cost to the honest shoppers. I personally don't take things that don't belong to me, don't want to and never will. If I can't afford an item, I simply won't buy it and certainly won't steal it, no matter how small.

One thing we all hear about, see with our own eyes while on a cruise and see on these boards is how much fabulous, fantastic food is available around the clock on a cruise ship. People can partake of all they can possibly hold, many times when they can't really hold it , but yet will try to stiff the cruise line over the price of a coke. Go figure.

I think one thing is pretty clear on this thread--most people frown on cheating, even if it's for a coke or a few cents.
Some appear to think it's ok to cheat if it's a small amount.
If you are one of the ones who drink anything without paying for it, then the honest cruisers are actually picking up the tab for you--so , when you hoist your glass, mumble " thanks " to the honest folks.
Ok, fire away--I had my say--been shot at by real lead many times so I can take a few written barbs--
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Admiral

I recently read that there is 15% added to everything thing we buy these days to make up the loss of shoplifting. So, while it doesn't seem like a lot to share a soda card, it WILL eventually effect the bottom line for cruiseline companies. The standard cruise fare doesn't cover the cost of the passenger cruising. They make up for it with shipboard purchases, shore excursions, gambling and yes, even soda cards...So, if everyone did that, they would eventually loose and in my book, its stealing.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our first cruise we bought the fountain card for our youngest teen daughter. She generally drinks a lot of Diet Coke and we thought she would use it. We were wrong. She found it much easier to get juice than to stand in line at the bar. Plus, if I ordered a coke at the bar I generally got the entire can. When she used her fountain card she got fountain coke in a small glass. Definitely not worth the price. As for sharing - she did get one coke for her sister that we didn't know about until later. We attempted to pay the bar for the coke when we found out but they blew it off as if it was customary. Whether it happens a lot or not - I believe it's stealing. There is a reason that sticker is only on one person's card. I believe it's actually cheaper to just purchase the soft drink as you want it and drink juice the rest of the time.

Old November 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

You must have to drink lots of soda to make that card worth buying. Bob