Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
Passenger

Default Miami

We will be getting into Miami at 8:15 am and was wondering what we could do while waiting to board the ship? Any sugguestion? Thanks for any ideas you may come up with.

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Admiral

If you are flying in, by the time you get your bags and transportation to the pier you can just get aboard as soon as possible, so you can start to enjoy the ship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, by the time you actually land, if you are on time, get luggage and a cab to the pier, it would be very close to when they start boarding. Gives you time to enjoy the ship, have some lunch, etc.

Are you just taking a cab to the pier, or using the cruiseline transfers??

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Passenger

We are using the cruise line transfers. I am so excited about my first cruise and I just want everything to go smoothly. I think I will even sleep with my tickets (airline) and my cruise plans under my pillow tonight! So I think we will just enjoy the ship! Thanks

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Admiral

Enjoy your cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Being that you are taking the cruise line transfer, you'll be waiting at the airport until they are ready to start sending buses to the pier! That usually starts around 11am, and by the time they load 50 passengers and luggage on that 1st bus, it will be noon by the time you arrive at the pier.... Just in time for lunch onboard!
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Passenger

Talked to TA and she said the same thing. It isn't as much time as I thought it would be. My cousing says I'm so excited about this that she hopes I'm not disappointed. I told her the only thing that could ruin this for me would be RAIN!

Old December 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranejwr
We will be getting into Miami at 8:15 am and was wondering what we could do while waiting to board the ship? Any sugguestion? Thanks for any ideas you may come up with.
It sounds like you are flying to Miami on a "red-eye"! At the very least, if you are arriving in Miami around 8am, if it is not a "red-eye", then you'd be departing from an east coast airport very early, so that you really won't get any sleep the night before!

As a person who is very experienced in these matters, may I suggest that you try to change your travel date to the day before the cruise, and spend 1 night at a Miami hotel! Many reasons for this... Most important, being that you will be cruising in winter (for the rest of the country), there is always the chance of bad weather (snow & ice) causing flight delays and cancellations, not to mention luggage delays. By arriving the day before, you have a cushion in case of delays. Next, by arriving a day early, you could start your cruise well rested, and be able to enjoy your 1st evening onboard. Finally, by arriving the day before, you can enjoy Miami as a "port stop", and even take a morning tour of the harbor area from Bayside, before leaving for the pier. All this is definitely worth the extra $50 to $75 per person that a 1 night stay at a good hotel (there is a Holiday Inn right near the pier, and walking distance from Bayside) would add to your total vacation cost! Consider making a change!
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Passenger

We will be leaving Jacksonville Fl. at 6:30 am and arriving in Miami at 8:15. Due to the winter weather in Indiana, I am flying down to Jacksonville a week early to spend some time with a GF that is going on the cruise with me JUST incase of bad weather. Thanks for the input.
Jeanne

Old December 9th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Admiral

I love flying in a day early and getting that great nights sleep before the cruise. Makes me feel so much better. Bob
Old December 9th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Not to mention that as long as you are traveling to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (popular destianations in their own right) you can enjoy a little bit of the pre cruise highlights that can be seen in these cities. The same holds true for any other port of departure. Arriving at least a day early takes away a lot of the stress in flying these days!

Jerry
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Passenger

If I am blessed enough to take a 2nd cruise I will definetly do the hotel the night before. I think it would be a smart thing to do. I can't change the plans now but I will be wiser in this matter the next time (hopefully there will be another cruise in my future.)

Old December 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Passenger

I wish I had ask this question before I booked my flight! I am thinking about getting everything ready and the time I am going to have to get up and get ready. I live in a small town, and I don't fly (did it 3 times and never really liked it) It takes me a short while to get to the airport from where I live (about 40 min) and so leaving at 6:30 didn't seem like much. But after thinking about it, I will definitly stay the night before in a hotel close to the airport. May try to change the flight but will have to talk to friend who is going with me to see what she says.

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Passenger

If I am reading you right, there is no point in staying overnight at a hotel near the airport in order to catch a 6:30am flight. First, for a 6:30am flight, you should check in at least 1 hour early (meaning, no later than 5:30am). Next even if your hotel is within a few miles of the terminal, you have to allow some travel time from the hotel to the airport... Let's say about a half hour! That means leaving the hotel at 5am. That means that you'll probably have a 4am wake up call. You will probably have a hard time getting any sleep, worrying that you will oversleep and miss your flight! Why don't you just sleep in your own bed, get up an hour earlier (3am), drive to the airport and still arrive with time to spare!

The hotel idea is great for arriving at your cruise departure city a day early, getting a good night's sleep and being well rested when you board around noon!
Old December 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Just remember, they will usually let you on board at 12 noon (or possibly even earlier) but your cabin will not be available until 1 pm.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old December 19th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Passenger

Default Arriving early

Your cabin may be or may not be ready before 1pm! Not all cabins are vacated as early as the cabin attendents would like, from the previous cruise! Most cabins are ready for new arrivals before all the "old" passengers get off. In any case, if you board around noon and your cabin is one of the last to be cleaned from the previous cruise, you can still go have lunch at the buffet while your cabin is prepared for you.
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
First Mate

I love getting to the pier as early as possible... It feels erotic to have the cruise ship all to yourself for an hour or so...