Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Beginner

Default Newbie - Needs help with Independence

First time taking a cruise. We're a party of 4 - 2 adults and 2 teens. Basically, having trouble with room selection as I'm not familiar with the codes - looking for help.

I think it's best that we take 2 rooms (kids are 15 and 17 - male and female).
We (wife and I) were looking at a balcony room on the Independence. We see the following categories and rooms available, however, not sure which is better than the other - or any negatives with these:

Choices:
D2 ($899pp+fees/taxes): superior outside balcony (214 sq ft - room)
Deck 6 - avail: 6220, 6222, 6224, 6520
Deck 8 - avail: 8352

E1 ($949pp+fees/taxes): deluxe outside balcony (177sq ft - room)
Deck 8 - avail: 8242, 8274, 8276, 8586, 8612

Questions:

I'm not sure why the smaller room (E1) would cost more than the larger room (D2)?

Can anyone make recommendations on which they think would be the best choices?

Having kids in a separate room - would you recommend them in an adjacent balcony? I was considering having them in an inside room (to save on costs) - as they will be coming into our room and we won't be in the rooms much anyway.

I've spent hours on the message boards: anything special I'm missing?

Once rooms are selected (especially having kids in nearby room), can the cruise line (RCI) change them? I see people discuss guarantee - what does that mean here?

Thanks for you help.
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Welcome to Cruisemates and the wonderful world of cruising.

As a first cruise you picked a wonderful big beautiful new ship. Great choice!!!

I'm not sure why the difference in price between the two balcony rooms. Other cruisemates will have to answer that question.

I would put the kids in an inside cabin adjacent to your balcony cabin. Saves some money and a 15 and 17 year old will not be spending time on the balcony they will be out and about the ship.

A guarantee will not work in your case because with a guarantee RCCL can give you cabins in different locations and decks. You would need to book your actual cabins at time of booking to make sure the two cabins are adjacent.

Once you book your cabins (not guarantee) RCCL does not change your cabins.

I do like cabin #8352 close to elevators and midship.
If you do decide to put the kids in an inside what you need to do is check the balcony cabins to see what inside cabins are available that are adjacent. This might narrow it down to what cabin you will select.
Don't know how busy of a sailing that is might not be many balcony/insides that are adjacent available.

This may be your first cruise however will not be your last. The kids will love this ship.

Enjoy! 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Most of the cabins are basically the same, just the location is different. If you do want the cabins across the hall, don't book a guarantee, they won't be close that way. Look at the ship lay-out and see where the cabins are and go from there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Admiral

CQ, you should be a travel agent with your vast knowledge of cruising. You would be great! Bob
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone. The cruise part seems the easy part - when I took a look at airfares (NY-Florida) for holiday week, the shock set in. Appreciate your help with the room selection. Now, need to hunt down better airfares.
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
CQ, you should be a travel agent with your vast knowledge of cruising. You would be great! Bob
Thanks Bob when I do become one I will let you know so you can be my first customer! 8) 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Admiral

CQ, I would definetely be your first customer! I like your Santa! Bob
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Passenger

I agree with Bob CQ! You are so helpful answering our questions. I really appreciate all the help you have given me. Since I too am taking my first cruise in March. Hope the weather will behave it's self while we are on the Liberty ot Seas!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
First Mate

Agrees with CC completely. in 2006 we booked a balcony cabin for ourselves and an inside cabin directly across the hall for the kids (18 and 14 at the time). It was great. My son loved the dark inside cabin so he could sleep; we loved the balcony for the night air. That and having two bathrooms available was a great help. Enjoy.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old December 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default We did the Family Ocenview room and loved it...

My wife and three teen age girls did one of the Oceanview Family cabins and loved it. We SOMEHOW managed to survive with the one bathroom...but barely.

However, it appears the pricing is actually CHEAPER to go with a balconey and inside room now. The key is finding the two rooms together.

Have fun!
Costa cruise in 1989
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Passenger

On the Disney Magic...we shared a INSIDE room...my kids where.....smaller on this 1st cruise adventure, they where 8 and 10

last year...2007... we had a balcony room.... kinda crowded....and messy with teens 13 and 15, thank goodness for the Balcony.!

2009.........cruisin.........booked a balcony for hubby and I .........and the Girls... 15 and 17 almost.....are going across the hall in a promanad room... NOW THIS SHOULD BE PARADISE.

The girls are looking forward to it too, but Not as much as ME!!!! They won't have ME to do there Organizing, cleaning up, ect.... YEE HA!!!! THAT is a holiday in itself.

I just called RCI and requested for the rooms available that was across from each other and pricing.. I asked for any combination, and we ended up choosing this.

So Good luck, have fun, We all know that you will, regardless of what you choose as a Room or Rooms. We always have.

Carnival- 1982
Holland America- 1987
Disney Magic- 2004
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur of the Seas- 2007
Royal Caribbean- Explorer of the Seas- 2009
Royal Caribbean- Explorer of the Seas- 2010