Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Passenger

Default Do the windows in the Oceanview rooms open?

I know it's a silly question but I just wanted to ask.Hey you never know.And don't be too hard on me I've never been on a cruise before.
Royal Caribbean has some really great looking cruise ships and I love their itineraries too.
Just looking to do a 4 or 5 night cruise.I really wanted a balcony room but some of those oceanview rooms look great too.
Any comments or help is welcomed.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Do the windows in the Oceanview rooms open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest50
I know it's a silly question but I just wanted to ask.Hey you never know.And don't be too hard on me I've never been on a cruise before.
Royal Caribbean has some really great looking cruise ships and I love their itineraries too.
Just looking to do a 4 or 5 night cruise.I really wanted a balcony room but some of those oceanview rooms look great too.
Any comments or help is welcomed.
Thanks
Only the balconies open. If the lower Oceanview rooms had windows that opened some careless person would leave it open and the splash from heavy seas would innundate the cabin.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Passenger

Wow quick reply thanks! And yes I probably would forget to close it....
These days I'd forget my head if it wasn't attatched!
Any hoot I'm excited about the possibility of going on a cruise.I've traveled lot's of places for years and never considered a cruise until recently.
So far I've been eyeing Majesty of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas for 2-4 night cruises.
I think any cruise would be fun.
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Admiral

No... Too much of a liability since most OV rooms are very close to the water.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Admiral

if you can, book a cabin close to either end of the ship so that it is a very short walk for you to go outside and thus it would almost like having a balcony
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
if you can, book a cabin close to either end of the ship so that it is a very short walk for you to go outside and thus it would almost like having a balcony
Venice don't you get some engine vibration if your cabin is Forward. It's better to book Aft, plus you are closer to the Lido deck, which is were the pool and breakfast buffet are.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Venice don't you get some engine vibration if your cabin is Forward. It's better to book Aft, plus you are closer to the Lido deck, which is were the pool and breakfast buffet are.
Depends on the ship. On the Monarch the Buffet was all the way forward, elevators were midship.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Admiral

I prefer middle to aft versus forward.

I think all cabins can fell the Vibration at times.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Back in the old days of ocean liners they did....

This one reason they don't open port holes anymore.... an excerpt from the story of the sinking of the Britannic.

What of the other sister ship to the Titanic?

Britannic was the last out of the three ships to be constructed. After the Titanic disaster in 1912, the Britannic was considered to be even more 'unsinkable' than the Titanic, and was even more luxurious! She carried 48 lifeboats, she had a double side and bottom which was constructed out of steel. Her watertight bulkheads extended all the way up to boat-deck.
She was launched on the 26th of February, 1914. These are the following statistics of the Britannic... gross tonnage 48,158, 882 ft, and 9 in, 94 ft wide, 34 ft of ship was under water. 4 funnels, 2 masts, 3 engines, 3 propellers.
The Britannic was going to serve in route between Southampton, and New York. At the break of WW1 she never saw commercial use. The British Navy paid for the use of commercial ships, but did not compensate for the loss of them. The maiden voyage began on December 23d, 1915, as a hospital ship.
After disastrous results from the Gallipoli campaign, the military needed hospital ships, and the Britannic was called for! She was painted white with red crosses and had a green strip running across about midway. She was placed under command of Captain Charles A. Bartlett!
She successfully completed five missions between the Mediterranean and the United Kingdom carrying the sick and wounded. She began her sixth voyage on the 12th of November 1916, and reached the first leg of her mission, she stopped to take on coal and water, as normal.
At 8:12, on Tuesday November 21st 1916, a terrible explosion shook the ship from bow to stern. In the dining room the reaction was the same, doctors and nurses rushed to their posts. The captain was on the bridge at the time of impact, and the first reports of news were very disturbing! The explosion had taken place on the starboard side of the ship, and damaged two holds, and the force of the explosion damaged a watertight bulkhead. This meant that the two first watertight compartments were filling rapidly with water! Boiler room six had been severely damaged, as water poured in at an uncontrollable rate.
Captain Bartlett ordered the watertight doors shut, and sent out a distress signal, and ordered the crew to ready the lifeboats. For some unknown reason several of the watertight doors did not shut, and as a result the Britannic was brought to her maximum flooding level. She could stay afloat at this rate if she remained motionless. But there was one bad mistake that sealed the fate of the Britannic, in the lower areas of the ship the nurses had opened the portholes to vent the ship, as the Britannic began to settle in the water the water poured into the open portholes, thus filling the Britannic's seventh watertight compartment. Her fate as well as the Titanic was sealed
, nothing could be done

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Familiar Face

Now after reading your post, I am now bummed....no more disaster stories please....
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Admiral

Debbie..notice you are a new poster..welcome...I was born in upstate New York...i am suspecting this is your first cruise,if so, an ocean view will be ok, because you will seldom be in your cabin..you can enjoy a balcony on your 2nd cruise
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Passenger

My wife and I cruised on the Majesty of the Seas in October. Our cabin number was 8586 (aft) which was an OV (window) with on "obstructed view" (The bouchure indicates that all staterooms on deck 8 have obstructed views). The cabin was small, a little larger that the width of a queen size bed (at one point I said to my wife "I'll go in the bathroom so you have some room") but the ship was beautiful having been renovated a little over a year ago.
We were on the four day cruise (Nassau, CocoCay, and Key West) which is better than the three day because you get an additional port at about the same cost. Majesty was a nice size ship if this is your first cruise (not too big and not too small), the food was good and the service was excellent.
My wife fell in love with Key West and she can scratch it off as a "place to visit before you die"
Be warned however, if this is your first cruise and no matter if it's a 3, 4, or 7 day voyage, cruising is like a drug, once you take it ,you always want more.
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Debbie..notice you are a new poster..welcome...I was born in upstate New York...i am suspecting this is your first cruise,if so, an ocean view will be ok, because you will seldom be in your cabin..you can enjoy a balcony on your 2nd cruise
Thanks for the welcome.I am a new poster and new to cruising.This will be my first cruise.I keep trying to talk myself into an ocean view but I really want someplace private to come back to and relax out on the balcony.And not have to be up on the deck to sit outside.I want to sit out on my balcony while I have my morning coffee and wake up in the early am.And I want to sip on my wine in the early evenings just to unwind from the activities of the day.
How can I do that in an ocean view cabin?....I can't.
Well I haven't booked yet so I have time to go back and forth with what I want for a cabin.
I think it'll be fun either way.
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Tiger
My wife and I cruised on the Majesty of the Seas in October. Our cabin number was 8586 (aft) which was an OV (window) with on "obstructed view" (The bouchure indicates that all staterooms on deck 8 have obstructed views). The cabin was small, a little larger that the width of a queen size bed (at one point I said to my wife "I'll go in the bathroom so you have some room") but the ship was beautiful having been renovated a little over a year ago.
We were on the four day cruise (Nassau, CocoCay, and Key West) which is better than the three day because you get an additional port at about the same cost. Majesty was a nice size ship if this is your first cruise (not too big and not too small), the food was good and the service was excellent.
My wife fell in love with Key West and she can scratch it off as a "place to visit before you die"
Be warned however, if this is your first cruise and no matter if it's a 3, 4, or 7 day voyage, cruising is like a drug, once you take it ,you always want more.
Thank you for all the info. I have no doubt I'll be hooked on cruising.The Majesty of the Seas sounds great.I've never been to Key West 8) so I'm sure I'll enjoy it there as well as Cozumel.
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

If money is not an issue book the balcony. For me, the price of a balcony is sometimes twice the cost of an inside or oceanview. I would rather go on two cruises inside than one cruise with a balcony!

If you book high on the ship and near a stairwell, it is easy enough to get up on deck and you can always find a quiet spot to enjoy your morning coffee, or evening wine and smoke if you so desire.

Let me know if you have anymore specifice questions as I have been all class of RCI ships that does these 4-5 nights itineraries.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
If money is not an issue book the balcony. For me, the price of a balcony is sometimes twice the cost of an inside or oceanview. I would rather go on two cruises inside than one cruise with a balcony!

If you book high on the ship and near a stairwell, it is easy enough to get up on deck and you can always find a quiet spot to enjoy your morning coffee, or evening wine and smoke if you so desire.

Let me know if you have anymore specifice questions as I have been all class of RCI ships that does these 4-5 nights itineraries.
Gee thanks Dave.I appreciate all the info and I'll definitely be back if I have more questions.
I keep looking at the oceanview cabins but I really want a way to get some fresh air.I'm claustrophobic and the thought of not being able to get some air makes me feel suffocated...sort of speak.
I know on the Majesty of the Seas they have superior oceanview rooms but they also say they are obstructed.I don't get why they would put the most expensive oceanview rooms in a spot that doesn't give you the full view.
Do you know about these rooms?
Thanks.
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I loved my ocean view on Brilliance of the Seas this past summer. Royal's windows have Carnival's beat any day! The window was huge and had a place for extra storage between it and the bed. I was very pleased with our cabin
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave

Gee thanks Dave.I appreciate all the info and I'll definitely be back if I have more questions.
I keep looking at the oceanview cabins but I really want a way to get some fresh air.I'm claustrophobic and the thought of not being able to get some air makes me feel suffocated...sort of speak.
I know on the Majesty of the Seas they have superior oceanview rooms but they also say they are obstructed.I don't get why they would put the most expensive oceanview rooms in a spot that doesn't give you the full view.
Do you know about these rooms?
Thanks.
I have stayed in these "cabins" and the ones on deck 9 are larger than the others. They are above the lifeboats so not too bad a view. The ones on deck 8 are standard size and look right at the lifeboats. Sometimes you get lucky and are between them. I like deck 9 all the way aft 9582 and 9082. You are right near the stairwell and there is also a door just outside your cabin to and outside area with rail. Almost like having your own balcony, just not in your cabin.

Cabin 9582 Soveriegn Class

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Passenger

Hey Dave thanks! I like the picture.Nice room.Certainly enough room for me.They don't have either of those rooms available in the SOV's.But someone told me they had 9548 and there was no obstruction.Would that be true for the cabin across the hall (#9048)also??Because 9048 is available.
I just don't want to pay the extra for a SOV and end up with an obstructed view.That would be a bummer.
Right now I'm on Deck 8 Cabin #8036.I found a layout and they marked the cabins that are not obstructed.So I'm happy with the cabin.I'm going to keep an eye and see if the SOV's go down in price then I'll upgrade.
Thanks
Old December 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
I loved my ocean view on Brilliance of the Seas this past summer. Royal's windows have Carnival's beat any day! The window was huge and had a place for extra storage between it and the bed. I was very pleased with our cabin
Hey Cutiecat,
I'm glad the windows are a good size.And we women always need extra storage space!I'm sure I'll be happy with my cabin as well.Since this 4 night cruise is in a different port every morning I won't be spending too much time in my room.
Old December 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Hey Cutiecat, I'm glad the windows are a good size.And we women always need extra storage space!I'm sure I'll be happy with my cabin as well.Since this 4 night cruise is in a different port every morning I won't be spending too much time in my room.

This was our room on the Brilliance. She's a Radiance Class ship so it may be misleading for other class ships...
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
Quote:
Hey Cutiecat, I'm glad the windows are a good size.And we women always need extra storage space!I'm sure I'll be happy with my cabin as well.Since this 4 night cruise is in a different port every morning I won't be spending too much time in my room.

This was our room on the Brilliance. She's a Radiance Class ship so it may be misleading for other class ships...
Wow! They are big!I didn't know they had windows that big.I love it.That kind of light would be great.And it wouldn't even bother me having a smaller room.
Thanks for posting that picture.Looks really nice!
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
First Mate

Years ago, taking advantage of a real saver cruise, we were located on the first and lowest passenger deck in a cabin fitted with all but a porthole.

When asked by fellow passenger on which deck we resided, and if it was a balcony or not, we replied, "We're on the Aquarium deck"

Watching the thought process in trying to place us was hysterical. But everyone enjoyed the joke.