Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Any shops in Cozumel or Costa Maya that shouldn't be missed?

I am going on the Grandeur of the Seas Jan. 9th to Costa Maya and Cozumel. Can anyone suggest shops that are great for interesting items that you would bring home for people as souveniers? For you experienced cruisers, any shops that you go to repeatedly because you enjoy them so much?

Also since this is my first cruise, how should I come prepared for sea sickness? I'm nervous about that one.

Thanks for you responses, this site has been so helpful!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Hi Fellow Wisconsin Cruiser,

I had a false conception about Costa Maya being a tourist trap built by the cruise ship companies, but ended up just loving it. It's very convenient to go back to the ship and into Costa Maya. We stopped here before Cozumel & I was a bit reluctant to buy much thinking that it would be more expensive than Cozumel, I was wrong again. It will be easy to get to all the stores it's set up around a large saltwater pool with strip mall type stores along the outside. I like to buy things that are handmade I got a great set of hand painted water glasses (unfortunately one broke flying home so I now have a set of 5) I bought a earthenware serving platter which is hand painted (probably lead paint so I don't serve food on it) I love to buy the pure Mexican vanilla for cooking the little bottles make great gifts and are between $5 - $8. It is 10x better in cooking than vanilla extract which is mostly alcohol.

I also bought 2 pairs of ultra-sexy dangly sterling silver earrings. They weren't cheap but they were handmade and stamped with the Taxco mark. Taxco sterling is collectable and I'm hoping they will hold their value over the years. We were there pre-hurricane in 2006. When comparing to Cozumel later in the trip I think I did better in Costa Maya on this stuff.

Cozumel has great leather shops for boots & belts but pricey. Good deals on embroidered T-shirts 5/25. Lots of jewelery stores, walk away for a better deal. I also try to bundle a couple of items together. I used U.S. dollars. They will try to tack on charges for credit cards & your credit card company will tack on charges for out of the u.s. charges.

Have a great time!

Jenne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Jenne and WOW what a small world, I live in Beaver Dam. Thanks for all of the great info. I really appreciate it. From what I was reading I wasn't getting a very good impression of Costa Maya because of the exact thing you had mentioned, that it was "manufactured" by the cruise lines. Nice to hear that you enjoyed it and thought that you got better deals than in Cozumel. I am like you in that I would prefer to get handmade/authentic items. The glassware and vanilla are super ideas!

Good to know also that you can use US dollars there. Do they have cash machines on the ship or should you bring most of your cash with you from home? Also, should you have travelers checks?

Thanks again,
Amy
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Hi Amy,

I thought the same thing about Costa Maya and was pleasantly surprised that it was not a huge ripoff tourist trap. The large pool is great it has a swim up bar and they were playing great party music. I could drop my kids & husband off at the centrally located pool while I easily hit the shops around the outside. He hates shopping so it was the best of both worlds for us. If we got bored we could easily head back to the ship and come back later. ( but we stayed most of the day & my kids loved the pool)

I no longer buy American Express Travelers checks - many of the vendors in Mexico acted like they were fake and didn't want to take them. We had some left over and used them at our Piggly Wiggly grocery store and they charged us $15.00 to cash them in on groceries. We don't have a cash card but I did see lots of machines around, but I guess there would be a fee. They might have them on board (?) I think you can also get money from cashing a check or your credit card from the pursers desk (?) - we've never done this. My husband & I just split our cash when we travel and leave what we don't need on board in the safe. That's our system.

I'm so jealous your leaving so soon, esp. with all this lovely winter weather we are having in Wisconsin. I know you'll have a great time. There's a long cement walkway from where the ships dock to the shopping area. You can see lots of tropical fish swim under the bridge - big one's too.

Jenne

Free Cruise Clocks
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to inspired by truth Send a message via MSN to inspired by truth Send a message via Yahoo to inspired by truth
Default Costa Maya: r u going to just5 shop or hit any beaches..?

Hi. besides the shops and hanging by their LITTLE TOWN by the port, I was told there are some very amazing, safe, clean and not so busy beach areas and beach clubs? Are you interested in chatting more abotu that also...maybe? PS Do you wish to also say hi to me as we are on the same cruise.......hi there....do you know what cabin u r in or what u want to do on board also?
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Beginner

When you get to Costa Maya take a cab into town for about 5 dollars.A beautifull stretch of beach for photos with alot of small shops where the prices are alot cheaper than the port shops.I took the Costa Maya and Cozumel cruise over Thanksgiving and I really liked Costa Maya alot.You won't regret spending 5 dollars to go into town and the souveniers are less than half the price they are at the port.Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Wayne
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ESIURC_ROVEL Send a message via MSN to ESIURC_ROVEL Send a message via Yahoo to ESIURC_ROVEL
Default Other than that shops, did hang at any beach clubs...

HI Wayne, great tip. I have 2 more questions: a) How did you ask the taxi driver to get you to where the other location is or was "what is that area of Costa Maya called?" b) Did you also stay at any beaches or beach clubs that you can reccommed also? Please write backk and thanks.
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Hi Esturc sorry I haven't been on this site for about a month now and I missed your message.You might have already gone on your cruise but I'll answer your questions anyways.Just ask the driver to take you into town as it's only about ten minutes away and it was suggested to me by a native.There are several bars in town but I don't drink so I can't really rate them as I didn't go in any of them.Hope you have a great time on your cruise and post back and let me know how you enjoyed it.

Wayne
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

OP: What did you find? What was your impression? We were docked next to you in Cozumel on the Voyager. Too bad about the rain.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.