Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Passenger

Default What airport do I use when cruising out of Galveston?

Hey everyone! Im glad to be back chatting with you all again because it means we are going again! YAY.
I did my best to search before I posted but I must be rusty, I am needing know what airport to search for flights too and what is the best method of transportation to the ship.
THIS time we are taking the kids!
We live in Seattle and thought of going Mexico, but I wasnt too impressed with some of the pics and excursions...Anyone have anything great to say about Mexico with a 8&14yr old?
Thanks as always everyone -
Jolene
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Houston Hoby is the closest airport about 30 min drive to Galveston pier. If you fly into IAH, it is 1.5 hours drive.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I found when I needed to book flights from Boston, we had lots of choices, at both airports, but the choices had times that just would not work for a cruise, with time issues....I wanted to book Hobby, as well, being closer, but I just could not find a flight with appropriate times for our needs.

We ended up flyiny into Bush. The transfer bus, picks up at all the terminals so it was a while before we got going....The ride was about an hr and a half. Going there was fine, but a friend of a friend drove us to the airport, to make sure we got ther in time for this flight home. We also decided to takeour own luggage off to save time, which was quite hard, with all our bags...The transfer bus again has to wait for the bus to fill before it leaves as well, so make sure your flight home if you fly out of Bush, is after 2:00, whcih was the time the line had advised us.

I hope you find great flight form Hobby..it makes it so much easier..good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Default airport and stuff to do

From Seattle.
Probably can fly non-stop on Continental into Bush International
but
Check prices for connecting via Southwest over either Phoenix or Las Vegas into Hobby.

Southwest does not charge for checked luggage. It is less than 45 minutes to the pier in Galveston.

If you are coming in early, consider visiting the Johnson Space Center.
You might also want to check transfer costs with Galveston Limo.

As for things to do....on Voyager. Adventure Ocean has a great program but...when you get to Cozumel..You could book your own day at Chakkanab Park, swim with the dolphins, snorkel, or just beach for the day.
You did not way it you were on the Western Itinerary. If you are, then a really great day is in Roatan. Considered some of the world's very best snorkeling.....from shore too!

A little history? How about the ruins you can visit while in port at Costa Maya?

Just a few ideas....
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Passenger

Thank you all so much for the tips ....
I really appreciate it.
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Beginner

As for the Mexico trip...we went to an all-inclusive resort call the Grand Palladium in the Riveria Maya, south of cancun about an hour. There are 3 "hotels" in one, the colonial, the kantenah, and the white sands. Don't worry which to pick because you can't tell them apart! It was fantastic and we can't wait to take our 10 year old girl and 13 year old boy! They have large fantastic pools and small ones too, and a swim up bar. They have trains and boats that ride around the resort, everything is included. It's lush tropical green and flowers, there's practically a zoo right there on the site with beautifual animals. Put-put, tennis, snorkeling, archery, scuba lessons in the pool for free. dance club, kids club, beautiful beach, soft sand, tons of variety in food and it was all great (except the mexican food that was average ;0). There is also a fantastic spa. Lots of stuff to do in there for free too, but the children aren't allowed in. I think you have to be 18k not positive.
The excursions were awesome! We highly recommend the one that is at www.alltournative.com/tours-products/overview
It was a bit spendy 100.00 per person, BUT is was one of the most enlightening days of our lives. You take an air conditioned bus, to the jungle, hike through the woods, listen to a Mayan religious ceremony (about 10 minutes) ride a zip line, repel down into a cenote (underground cave) swim in the cave, hike back, take canoes out onto a lake. Have a real mayan lunch (which is very basic and most kids would easily eat it). Our van stopped in the Mayan village on the way back and we went into a real mayan hut and met a real mayan family. it was amazing. the other guests brought trinkets for the children pens and pencils etc. and it was amazing how excited they were. Then you go to the ruins and climb to the top. This is an adventures day, fun but not as physically straining as it sounds. There were other children in that age range there. There were out of shape overweight people and nobody had difficulty. Well the top of the ruin was exhausting. All in all it's a fabulous place to go. We also went to Xel-Ha, but you can't wear regular sun screen there and we both got a little burnt even though re-applied the eco friendly stuff multiple times. Nest time we would definately pick the other eco park called Xcaret. This year we are leaning towards a cruise, only because the passport isn't yet required for it, but we really want to take the kids to the palladium. Book far in advance if you are going on a kids school break because the prices skyrocket several months out. Good luck!