Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Key West Beaches?

I will be in Key West next week and I am wondering if there are any nice beaches to visit while we are there. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Key West surprisingly is not really known for great beaches....usually people tend to beach on other ports, but here is some info, that may help you make a decision.

Beaches in Key West
Swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling are ideal at most beaches in Key West. Lifeguards are not present at beaches, so swimming is at your own risk. Topless and nude bathing are illegal. Fishing is allowed off the piers at most beaches. Check fishing license requirements.

FORT ZACHARY TAYLOR
An 87 acre state park with a pre-Civil War Fort. Wonderful sunset views. One of the best beaches in Key West, though a bit rocky. Public restrooms, food/drink kiosk, chair rentals, picnic tables and BBQ's. Admission charged. Entrance through Truman Annex at Southard Street.

SOUTH BEACH
A favorite of locals. Nice sandy beach with shallow waters and a concrete pier. No restrooms or facilities. Located at the end of Duval Street on the Atlantic Ocean.

HIGG'S BEACH
Wide sandy beach with long wooden pier. Restroom facilities, covered picnic tables, full service restaurant, playground, chair rentals, rafts and watersports rentals. End of Reynold's Street.

REST BEACH
Soft sand and natural vegetation. Home of the White Street Pier where you can enjoy some great fishing. Wheelchair accessible. Yoga deck with nightly classes. Restrooms within walking distance. Picnic tables. White Street on Atlantic Ocean.

SMATHERS BEACH
Half mile stretch of sandy man-made beach. Restrooms, ample parking, concession stands, chair rentals, bike paths, picnic tables, volleyball nets, watersports rentals - jet skiiing, parasailing, and windsurfing. South Roosevelt Boulevard.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Trip - I was going to post the same thing. haha I hope someone here has actually been on one of the beaches. I know I never even knew there were beaches there.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks, I think we will opt for the Fort.
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:48 PM
First Mate

yes, i agree. the beaches are not great at all. and what ones are there are populated by vendors. key west, sadly, has become a very commercial place. visit the audubon home, maybe papa h's home. not much else, really. the tram is not so great.
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jump in a cab once you get off the ship and go to Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park Beach. 10 minute ride. (Plus you have to pay the entrance fee to the State Park) But it was worth spending our last day on the beach. Beach is VERY rocky. If you have water shoes, you might want to bring them. There are bathrooms/changing rooms there.

ps: Get the cab phone number and call them when you are ready for pick-up. That is what our cab driver told us to do.

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas