Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Default Bayonne New Jersey Port

I am reading quite abit about the headaches at Liberty Port in Bayonne New Jersey. Does anyone have any pointers on how to handle the port?
Also is it better to get ther early or arrive later? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Passenger

We sailed out of there in September. Drove in about 11:30, parked the car in the lot, walked over with our bags, checked in and were on the ship having lunch in less than thirty minutes. I felt it was one of the easiest ports we have sailed out of. I don't know why everyone says they have a bad experience there because we had the exact opposite.
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Beginner

Early for sure. The sooner you get there the farther ahead you will be in the line. They allow you to board by 11:40.
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Beginner

I didn't really have much of a problem.. we were there about 11:45 and on the boat by 12:15pm. I think some people are so anxious to get on the boat they think it is worse that it really is. Enjoy your cruise
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Hey there....it isnt bad...just lots of traffic....we usually get there about 11 and it isn't bad......last time we were on the ship before noon-that was Feb...

if you would like any other info, ask away or PM me...i have a blog too with lots of info.....can i post that here????
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

I was disappointed to hear they moved the parking back to before the terminal. It was easy when you could drop your bags off and then park. Now, I hear you pass the parking to drop your bags, and then have to drive around again to park.

I may have to switch back to Carnival, but I hear they are in the process of changing the NY terminal parking as well.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Captain

Default Cape Liberty

My only complaint about the port.......when you drive in, it looks like you are entering a landfill. The terminal is a warehouse converted to a cruise port.

Other than that, everything was OK.......
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cape Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad
My only complaint about the port.......when you drive in, it looks like you are entering a landfill. The terminal is a warehouse converted to a cruise port.

Other than that, everything was OK.......
HEY!!!!!!!!! we resemble that remark!!!! it ain't pretty but it's in jersey and i don't have to get on a plane! Luckily i live in a part of NJ that is NOT a landfill! 8)

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've never been to that part! (just kidding NJ is awesome!!!!!) I agree with you meg, not having to fly is a big plus in my book!!! Would rather spend two days at sea than two hours on a plane any day!

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April, 2009
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Had no problems other then getting to the dock after 1pm and having to park all the way in the back. Get there as early as you can. Otherwise it was smooth sailing.

Carnival Legend:Western Caribbean
RCCL - Explorer of the seas: Bermuda - April 08
NCL - Spirit: Eastern Caribbean - April 07
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got an email from my TA not to get there before noon due to construction. Cruising April 17th.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April, 2009
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
First Mate

there is construction on the turnpike too......i would still go early if it was me......................

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermeg
there is construction on the turnpike too......i would still go early if it was me......................
I don't know why they would give me this advice. It would seem prudent to leave even earlier if there will be back-ups due to construction. I will drop my dog off at the kennel as soon as they open and leave right away.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermeg
I don't know why they would give me this advice. It would seem prudent to leave even earlier if there will be back-ups due to construction. I will drop my dog off at the kennel as soon as they open and leave right away.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Just got back from the Explorer getting on the ship was a bit unorganized especially dropping the bags off we were told to just leave them sitting there and there were no porters or anyone around to help or point out what to do. The port does look like a landfill with boarded up vacant buildings. Best advice for getting on the ship is to wait a little bit as there seems to be a rush of people driving in early and the traffic gets way backed up, we passed a huge line of people getting on the next cruise as we left and the taxi driver said for as far back as the line of cars was that is was at least an hour wait from where the line ended, that was a little after 11:00. We got there around noon and the sat in traffic for about ten minutes before getting dropped off. The good news at the end of the cruise we had a late flight so took the last color tags to leave and had the quickest departure ever way faster than even Miami, we got off the ship on the bus to the terminal our bags were right there and through customs in maybe five minutes top. Have fun on your cruise make sure you have a jacket when you leave going under the bridge is quite the sight but is cool on the pool deck and you will not have your luggage yet, also the first day at sea and last day you will have quite the wavy ride the seas are pretty crazy after the first day the water calms down and it warms up fast. Enjoy your cruise and if you don't have plans for Samana yet go to Cayo Laventado beach it was the most beautiful beach I have ever been to.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007