Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Default iPhone-based Cruise Commuication System

Hello,

I am working on a project for school where we need to come up with a product idea and then do some market research into the market for that product.

I thought it would be cool to create an iPhone based communications system for cruise ships so when you are sea, you would have a way of communicating with other friends and passengers on board. I find that when I'm cruising, I wish I could use my phone to talk to people on board, even though I like being disconnected from the rest of the world. I have been on an RC cruise before (Liberty of the Seas) and the big size of their ships seems to make a communications system even more useful.

If you have a spare moment, could you take the following survey so I can determine if anybody else likes this idea?

Click here to take the survey

Even if you think it is a terrible idea, that's fine too. I'd love to know why you think so, whether you like the idea or not.

Thanks! And happy cruising!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: iPhone-based Cruise Commuication System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatthews812
Hello,

I am working on a project for school where we need to come up with a product idea and then do some market research into the market for that product.

I thought it would be cool to create an iPhone based communications system for cruise ships so when you are sea, you would have a way of communicating with other friends and passengers on board. I find that when I'm cruising, I wish I could use my phone to talk to people on board, even though I like being disconnected from the rest of the world. I have been on an RC cruise before (Liberty of the Seas) and the big size of their ships seems to make a communications system even more useful.

If you have a spare moment, could you take the following survey so I can determine if anybody else likes this idea?

Even if you think it is a terrible idea, that's fine too. I'd love to know why you think so, whether you like the idea or not.

Kevin
This would be a great idea! Good luck in your project!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: iPhone-based Cruise Commuication System

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmatthews812
Hello,

Kevin
This would be a great idea! Good luck in your project!
Hi Scott
What a great idea. I did read somewhere that RCI has some type of phone available for passengers on some of their ships, for a charge of $20. I don't know if that $20 is for the entire lenght of the cruise. the phone is only for communication onboard.
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
First Mate

Royal Caribbean uses a Nokia phone for shipboard communications; all crew have been assigned one. If you are a parent with a child under the age of 10 years old; you can receive the free usage of the device so that you can be contacted by daycare if your child requires you. The phone works like a cell phone but it only can be used onboard; it operates just like a regular phone in your cabin or one of the house phones.

Also, keep in mind that you can now use your regular cell phone onboard at international dialing rates.