CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Fuel charges... NEVER refunded (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/361230-fuel-charges-never-refunded.html)

ItaliaPrincessFL February 9th, 2009 09:24 PM

Fuel charges... NEVER refunded

I got together 37 friends and family members to take a cruise on the Monarch this past week. RCs policy was to refund my fuel charges and put onto my sail card. I paid for 7 passengers!!! and got back ZERO. Had the group coord., Gerald, of the ship "look into it" with the promise of "I will get back to you with an answer by tonight"... never heard from the guy again.
Yes, I used a cruise planner ((by suggestion of RC)), but my payments were made to RC. They REFUSE to discuss this situation with me.
NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE ROYAL CARIBBEAN, nor will I recommend them.
Another complaint... Bad weather (rain and cold), ok, thats certainly not the company's fault... but you woud think they would have added more onboard activities for the passengers. We were unable to have the planned Bar-b-q at Coco Key due to 6 foot waves, but they offered NOTHING on board in its place. POOR PLANNING ON THEIR PART.

Carnival here I come.

maduck February 10th, 2009 10:07 AM

Don't know if you've checked this out or not. On a recent RC Cruise we had some tours cancelled that I had put on my credit card for several other passengers traveling with me. RC only credited my SeaPass for my charges; they credited each individual's SeaPass for their charges even though I had paid for them all on my credit card. It appears that when a credit is given, it goes to the individual passenger involved, not who originally paid for it. Check it out. Sounds like a high-stress level organizing 37 people. When you're cruising, you gotta "go with the flow" and trying to handle disappointment for 37 must be a lot of stress.

Good luck, and don't give up on Royal Caribbean. They are a great cruise line and I've always found them working hard to provide a pleasant cruise experience. :roll:

ItaliaPrincessFL February 10th, 2009 11:32 AM

I did check my 7 passengers' accounts. No fuel charges were given to them, but the rest of the group (30), they all received theirs.
Perhaps we were on the same ship? Monarch? Our excursion was cancelled due to bad weather and rough seas. (Coco Key with the beach party Bar-B-Q Everyone got back their charges without a problem for the water attractions. BUT... dont you think RC should have added more fun things to do while stuck on the ship? You know, like plan B. They did add scrap booking....whoopee.

blueliner February 10th, 2009 04:59 PM

There are a few things here I don't understand. First, if you have a cruise planner, have you tried to contact this person and inquire? Also, when your group coordinator didn't get back to you, why didn't you follow up and contact him or her again? Did you try speaking to the Pursers desk about your refund? Why do you say RCI refuses to discuss it, have you called their customer service department?

Just curious, what other activities do you think RCI should've provided when the ship missed Coco Cay? If you read the "Contract of Carriage", you will see that the cruiseline can alter an itinerary for just cause, like weather. I've been to Coco Cay many times, and the BBQ is really nothing more than some burgers, hot dogs, chicken and ribs made in a kitchen and brought out to the food islands in metal trays for the passengers to pick through and eat, almost exactly the same as you would get in the Windjammer Cafe. If you thought they'd be BBQing a pig on the beach, that just doesn't happen. I don't mean to diminish your disappointment in any way, Coco cay is a wonderful island and a great port-of-call. However, I'm sure that while the ship didn't add on any other activities, all the regular ship's activities were intact and the Windjammer, dining room and pool were open.

ItaliaPrincessFL February 10th, 2009 08:46 PM

Thanks for your reply Scott. I left some facts out of my original post.
Of course I contacted my cruise planner. Through Emails, VMs, and Fax, I asked her to please make sure mine and my adult kids' fuel charges were put back onto my credit card. She E'd me back that that RC's policy is to put them onto the sail card of the purchaser. OK, great. 1st night on board I immediately went to the customer service desk to make sure this was done. I was told to come back in the morning, this is when all their passenger info is D/L into thei computer. Next morning... no fuel credits appeared. The very helpful CSR then E'd the coordinator of the ship with my dilema. That evening I received a VM on my cabin phone saying he was working on it. The following night I went to the ship coord. and left a note on his desk. The next morning I tracked the guy down. We sat for an hour while he looked through his comp. totaly baffled. He PROMISED me that by that evening he would have answers. The following morning my cruise was over.
Today I faxed my cruise planner with a letter and a copy of her emailed promises... so far I haven't heard from her.
As for the cancelled trip to Coco Key, hey, RC is not responsible for the weather, I know that. It was also pouring on the ship and with the temp. in the 50s, So no one was at the pool or on the deck. IMO, when there is incelement weather, a cruise ship should have plan B. Add more comedy and game shows during the day, movies, live bands, etc. The only additional activity our ship had was a scrapbook class.
I dont want to sound like sour grapes! But we bought our 5 adult kids with us... first time cruise for them all...it was such a disappointment and I was shorted $$$280!!!!

namvet4 February 11th, 2009 09:53 AM

Spend a few more $$$ - make a phone call - go right to whomever at the top will listen . . . It's worth a shot!

Corporate Information
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132
Phone (305) 539-6000

Richard D. Fain
Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and Director

Adam M. Goldstein
President & CEO Royal Caribbean International

Brian J. Rice
Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Link to corporate information

ItaliaPrincessFL February 11th, 2009 10:44 AM

I did call RC many times!! The problem is because I booked through a TA, RC REFUSES to address my dilema and tells me I MUST go through my TA. IMO, my travel agent represents RC and my payments were made to RC, not the TA.
I appreciate the names of the TOP people of RC you posted... I will calll and write them! Thanks!

Jacqueline13 February 11th, 2009 10:57 AM

I was on the Monarch in December and we missed Coco Cay because of bad weather. The crew brought the BBQ to the pool deck , the band played and I"m pretty certain that there were a few extra events added .
There was an updated Cruise Compass provided.
It's the first time I've missed a port and I can't say I was disappointed. It was pretty chilly and windy on deck, but we're Canadians and we would have been up there if it had been snowing so it was another wonderful day at sea!!!!

I missed out on the fuel tax credit (by two weeks!!!) so I can't comment on that , but whenever I've had an issue with RCL it has been quickly addressed . Our cabin category price (on Monarch) dropped twice, and both times a refund was given via credit card - without question .
On a past cruise, a problem with pre-paid room decorations was solved with an offer to re-do (declined) and a complimentary champagne (not expected and VERY appreciated !).
On our last cruise (Monarch) , I discovered that I had been overcharged for the mini-bar . I was charged for items I didn't take and what should have cost about 11$ was listed as 25$ . Passengers were already disembarking and the Main desk was swamped . Even so, the crew member who I dealt with not only took off the extra items, he took off ALL the items. I can't argue with that!

I hope your issues have been sorted out . I can see how it would affect your impression of RCL , but read the posts on other cruise line threads
and you'll see that it can happen with any company. With such a huge volume of passengers I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often ! The drag is that it happened to YOU and I have faith that RCL will make good somehow .

blueliner February 11th, 2009 11:57 AM

Here is my suggestion. First, continue to press your TA. If your TA wants your return business, and they usually do, they will get back to you quickly and get this resolved. If your TA does not do this, I suggest you contact the TA's manager and speak with them.

If this doesn't work, and the TA won't work with you to resolve the situation, then you should go through the Customer Service Department at RCI. Do not write the chairman or President of the company. I know we would all like to think that if we write to the "top" guy, they will read our letter, become enraged at the injustice and run downstairs and personally fix the problem. Well, that really doesn't happen in a huge company like RCI. Their letters are screened and complaint letters are sent to the Customer Service Dept. where they belong.

Write your letter to the Customer Service Dept., be polite and do not rant or rave. If you do write a mean spirited letter, they will believe they cannot retain you as a customer and will be less inclined to solve your problem. Explain your situation and that your TA has not provided you with satisfaction on your complaint. Provide copies of all your supporting documents, including proof that you paid the fuel surcharges and didn't receive a refund.

Having dealt with the RCI Customer Service Department at RCI, this is not a quick process. It will take a few weeks for them to get back to you. If you haven't heard from them in a month, I suggest you call the Customer Service line and inquire. Be advised that the people that answer the phone at RCI Customer Service are not the actual reps that work on your problem, the actual reps do not give out their phone numbers. This keeps them insulated from customers constantly calling them. The front people take your phone number, message, and all your information, and pass this along to the rep, who will contact you.

Good luck and I hope you get this resolved.

ItaliaPrincessFL February 11th, 2009 04:42 PM

I called RCs customer service Dept. again today. Again I heard because I did not book directly through them, there is not a darn thing they can do about it. I maintain that RC took my money via my TA and it is RC who completes fuel refunds.
My TA said "I do not get paid enough money for this" AND "I HATE MY JOB" ... Her boss is fully aware of my situation and does not return my calls. I can only assume RC gave them my $ and they used it for payroll.

blueliner February 11th, 2009 05:05 PM

Calling RCI customer service only gets you to the call takers, not the real service representatives. This is why I suggest you put it all in writting, including the travel agency's refusal to address your situation and the other documentation and send it in (my suggestion is registered mail) to RCI Customer Service. The call takers are trained to tell you that if you booked through a TA, you must call them. At least this way you get your problem to the actual service reps and you have a better chance of getting satisfaction.

My suggestion with the travel agency is to just report them to the Better Business Bureau. You probably won't get much satisfaction from them, but atleast you've reported them. The amount of money probably isn't enough for any legal action.

paul1815 February 17th, 2009 09:11 AM

Whaaaahooooooooo....

If I can believe my TA (Cruises Only) I just saved another $900 on my crusie fare! My sail date is March 21, 2009 and I noticed from browsing the RCL web that my cabin category went down quite a bit...so I called the TA and he says RCL will refund me $900 on my VISA!! How cool is that!? (assuming it actually happens)

:)
:o
LOL

Snoozeman February 18th, 2009 08:01 PM

Re: Whaaaahooooooooo....

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul1815
If I can believe my TA (Cruises Only) I just saved another $900 on my crusie fare! My sail date is March 21, 2009 and I noticed from browsing the RCL web that my cabin category went down quite a bit...so I called the TA and he says RCL will refund me $900 on my VISA!! How cool is that!? (assuming it actually happens)

LOL

Wow Fantastic!

paul1815 February 20th, 2009 08:43 AM

Re: Whaaaahooooooooo....

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul1815

LOL

Well, today I did recieve an $800 credit on my card....not quite the $900 promised...but it will pay for some excursions!

:wink:

ItaliaPrincessFL February 20th, 2009 07:32 PM

Congratulations to you! Can you please share your TA's info? I would use him next year for my group. And perhaps he could teach my TA a lesson about good Customer Service!!

paul1815 February 20th, 2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItaliaPrincessFL
Congratulations to you! Can you please share your TA's info? I would use him next year for my group. And perhaps he could teach my TA a lesson about good Customer Service!!

It was a gentleman named Bob Turlington from Cruises Only.
"..888-251-2255, and enter my extension 82495 when prompted. "

And....I actually did get the money back on my CC....$917!

yahootelemundo July 3rd, 2009 01:46 AM

Re: Fuel charges... NEVER refunded

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItaliaPrincessFL
I got together 37 friends and family members to take a cruise on the Monarch this past week. RCs policy was to refund my fuel charges and put onto my sail card. I paid for 7 passengers!!! and got back ZERO. Had the group coord., Gerald, of the ship "look into it" with the promise of "I will get back to you with an answer by tonight"... never heard from the guy again.
Yes, I used a cruise planner ((by suggestion of RC)), but my payments were made to RC. They REFUSE to discuss this situation with me.
NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE ROYAL CARIBBEAN, nor will I recommend them.
Another complaint... Bad weather (rain and cold), ok, thats certainly not the company's fault... but you woud think they would have added more onboard activities for the passengers. We were unable to have the planned Bar-b-q at Coco Key due to 6 foot waves, but they offered NOTHING on board in its place. POOR PLANNING ON THEIR PART.

Carnival here I come.

I feel so sorry for you,

MrPete July 3rd, 2009 07:32 AM

Re: Fuel charges... NEVER refunded

Quote:

Originally Posted by yahootelemundo
I feel so sorry for you,

Actually, I feel MORE sorry for you, having to resurrect old news and now even old posts.

Anything current you are going to post? If not, why not sit back and wait.

Master Chief July 3rd, 2009 10:43 AM

MrPeteLI:

My sentiments exactly 8)