CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Rhapsody of the Seas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/361237-rhapsody-seas.html)

RosieRoo February 10th, 2009 08:50 AM

Rhapsody of the Seas

I am planning a sailing to Alaska on the Rhapsody and looking at an aft JS. I have never sailed this class of ship but I have sailed the Radiance and Voyager classes. Can someone please tell me if these aft JS cabins are larger and the size of the balconies? Any pictures you could share would be helpful. Also any opinions on the Rhapsody. Thanks.

DSW49 February 22nd, 2009 04:21 PM

My wife and I sailed on the Rhapsody just this past January. He have sailed many times on RCCL an enjoyed all of the ships...except this last one on the Rhapsody. The food in the dining room was consistently AWFUL...as was the food in the Windjammer. There are no speciality restaurants on this ship so there was no escaping the unpleasant dining experiences. There was a lot of work being done on the ship and often times large sections of the two upper decks were roped off...making it impossible to take walks around the ship (something I like to do each day for exercise). The ship is old and so is the propulsion system. There was a constant rumble and vibration during dinner because that was when the ship typically set sail for the next port. I was told that the ship has a 70 foot shaft running underneath the ship fore to aft. When the ship got up over 15 knots, the ship would start vibrating. This was particularly felt in the dinning room. :cry:

gx94111 February 25th, 2009 03:38 PM

Oh my, I'm booked on the Rhapsody for Alaska in May. Would you mind giving a bit more detail about the food issues? Lack of variety, taste, too hot/cold? Also, were the decks roped off all the time, only during the day, a few hours, etc.? Any other issues you would care to share?

Thanks,

DSW49 March 2nd, 2009 03:59 PM

As concerns the food issues: meats were tough; fish entres were dry. Often times they would serve the same stuff from a previous evening but give it a different name. Since this has never happened to us on several previous RCCL cruises, we are guessing that the problem was the chef. Sorry I don't have his name. On several occassions during dinner, I would send my entre back and try something else...only to be again disappointed. Even the pasta dishes were tasteless and overcooked.

Parts of the two upper decks were roped off for several hours each day because they were washing windows. This made it impossible to walk all the way around the deck. One evening during dinner, they decided that the dining room windows had to be washed; so there we sat in formal wear while two men in overalls were washing the windows...dirty rags and all. Not very appetizing.

Sorry

gx94111 March 2nd, 2009 06:44 PM

Hmmm, no it doesn't sound very appetizing. I've been on an old ship (NCL's Majesty) that seemed to be in a constant state of maintenance, you couldn't walk the promenade b/c it was closed off, painting was going on, banging sounds from fixing heaven knows what. Someone suggested it was being done b/c it was a repo cruise. I hope whatever it was on Rhapsody when you were there will have fully passed by May.

Thanks for your reply.