Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Default Explorer of the Seas Prop Problems

Has anyone heard of the problems with the EOS propellor?
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Captain

Default Propeller Problem on Explorer

Yes. We just got off EX yesterday. On the cruise prior to ours, the ship struck an "object" while in the Caribbean, which caused vibrations at normal speeds (22-23 kts.). They had to limp back to Cape Liberty at a reduced speed.

They were to attempt repairs while doing the turn around, but because of low visibility underwater, the divers couldn't fix the problem. We were told they would attempt repairs again once we got to the Caribbean. Because of the lowered speeds, we had to skip our first port call, San Juan. We were told of this during the muster drill. As compensation, RCI gave each passenger $75 in shipboard credit.

The repair was attempted again when we got to St. Thomas. Didn't work. They made some temporary fix to eliminate the vibrations, but permanent repairs won't be made (so we were told) until the ship goes into drydock IN JANUARY 2010! They can still cruise at a reduced speed (around 18 kts.), so it's unknown whether or not any ports on the current (or future) cruises will have to be scrapped.

We were also told that the Captain was relieved of command and sent back to Maimi for meetings. In fact, we had a total of three Captains on this 12-night cruise. One senior crew member told us the original Captain would probably be retired.

In spite of the slower speed, the cruise was great. Just wish something could be done to improve the Cape Liberty cruise port. Going into the port from the hotel made me think we were entering a landfill.

By the way, we were told the current cruise has approximately 1,00 kids on board.
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to niskydog Send a message via Yahoo to niskydog

Now you got me nervous here,scheduled for this cruise in Sept, 09 out of NJ to Bermuda.Should I cancel this ?
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Captain

Default Explorer Propeller Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by niskydog
Now you got me nervous here,scheduled for this cruise in Sept, 09 out of NJ to Bermuda.Should I cancel this ?
Royal Caribbean assured us that there was no reason to be concerned. Apparently the repairs that they made brought the props into balance. The company probably feels that this is a "non-issue", hence the decision to wait until January to do a permanent fix.

I certainly wouldn't presume to advise you whether or not to cancel a cruise - I'm not an RCI spokesman. If you're concerned, you might want to check with RCI or your TA regarding the itinerary, and whether any port calls may be modified.

Suffice to say that after the repairs were made, we didn't feel anything unusual in the way the ship performed. We did have some rough seas the last day out, but that had nothing to do with the propulsion system.
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Who was the captain?

When we sailed her in July of last year the captain was a white headed fellow from Norway (I think).

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Captain

Default Explorer Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiel
Who was the captain?

When we sailed her in July of last year the captain was a white headed fellow from Norway (I think).
If I recall properly, it was Captain Thor (I think that's his first name).
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM
First Mate

Yup, that's his name. Really nice guy.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Default Update from RC

When I couldn't find any excursions for Puerto Rico(first port), I started to wonder why. After I read your post it, I contacted RC. This is what I was told.

It is true that the Explorer of the Seas experienced an issue with the starboard azipod. This issue has been corrected and no other sailings were affected by this issue.

I didn't realize that PR had been eliminated . Our travel agency group booking material showed Puerto Rico as a port. The cruise line eliminated it some time after the travel agency printed the April 26th cruise date . It is important to check your booked cruise every once in a while.

Explorer of the Sea 03/28/10
Explorer of the Sea 04/26/09
Explorer of the Sea 9/28/08
Celebrity Ships previous sailings
Old February 26th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Update from RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by laccruise
When I couldn't find any excursions for Puerto Rico(first port), I started to wonder why. After I read your post it, I contacted RC. This is what I was told.

It is true that the Explorer of the Seas experienced an issue with the starboard azipod. This issue has been corrected and no other sailings were affected by this issue.

I didn't realize that PR had been eliminated . Our travel agency group booking material showed Puerto Rico as a port. The cruise line eliminated it some time after the travel agency printed the April 26th cruise date . It is important to check your booked cruise every once in a while.
We'll be taking the 4/26 cruise on the Explorer. The itinerary was just updated. RCCL eliminated the last stop at Tortola and re-instated the stop at San Jaun (our first port). As far as we can determine this will be the final itinerary.

headusher
Explorer of the Seas, 2009
Princess Sun, 3/2007
Massdam, 2006
Princess Dawn, 2005
Grandeur, 2004
Majesty, 2003
Massdam, 2003
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the update. I hope we keep Puerto Rico. We really enjoyed PR in the past. Instead of staying in Tortola in 2007, we went to the Virgin Gorda. A friend was telling us they didn't do much in Tortola. I hope this is the final change. We will be on the same cruise.
2 months till we sail.

Explorer of the Sea 03/28/10
Explorer of the Sea 04/26/09
Explorer of the Sea 9/28/08
Celebrity Ships previous sailings
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are headed out on April 17th.....nothing has changed on us that I know of yet.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Fantasy June '02
Carnival Fantasy Oct '03
Carnival Valor April '07
RCI Explorer of Seas April '09
Carnival Freedom April '11
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Familiar Face

My husband and I are also on the April 17th cruise and I am still trying to figure out what to do in Puerto Rico at 4PM. We have done Old San Juan on our last two visits. The segway tour was sold out by a large group. I am hoping to find some suggestions from the excursion desk onboard.
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Familiar Face

My husband and I are also on the April 17th cruise and I am still trying to figure out what to do in Puerto Rico at 4PM. We have done Old San Juan on our last two visits. The segway tour was sold out by a large group. I am hoping to find some suggestions from the excursion desk onboard.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are now getting in 1 hour later iinto PR...

But the prop is not the problem, it's the migrating whales...

http://rightwhalessouth.nmfs.noaa.gov/

Carnival Fantasy Oct '03
Carnival Valor April '07
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
First Mate

We just got off the Explorer yesterday. There was a note in the rooms that the ship is operating at reduced speeds and so our time in the ports was reduced by an hour at each island. Puerto Rico was totally changed and we got there at night after spending the day at St. Thomas and left at 11:30 the next morning so didn't get to do much except walk around close to where the ship docks. Had a wonderful time though. Expect kind of rough seas the first day out and last day back.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've heard that the ride from NYC to the south can be rough, it's where the continetal shelf is.

We are prepared with the patches (BUT NOT FOR KIDS) and I think Meclizine.

Carnival Fantasy Oct '03
Carnival Valor April '07
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Pafuncouple,

Our previous two trips were in June (16th and 19th) and our impending departure is scheduled for June 11th.

The first Itinerary in '06 had the first stop as St. Thomas and the entire trip down was smooth as silk.

Last year RCL added Bermuda and dropped their private beach in Haiti (a change we found marvelous as we'd never been to Bermuda and we can enjoy a beach right here in the states). The voyage to Bermuda was not quite as smooth but was certainly anything but rocky. Upon leaving Bermuda and heading South, the voyage was as smooth as in '06.

But bear in mind, you're going out into the Atlantic in April and it may well be choppy (though nothing like the North Atlantic in mid-winter). I'd say, however, that the further South you travel it will get much smoother (probably by when you wake up the next morning if you're not going to Bermuda).

In any event, I'm sure you'll love the cruise!

Todd

Todd
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
First Mate

The seas can be rough the first and last days they do calm down once you get about even with the top of Florida. At least with the ship moving at slower speeds the seas shouldn't feel as rough.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007