Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How has Economy changed your plans if any?

I know everyone that is on this board has cruise on your mind and so do I.

But I am wondering if I am the only humbug SOB looking at our 401 K and savings go in the toilet and have second thoughts on booking a cruise because of finances?

Am I just looking at the cup half empty or is finances on peoples minds in the current economic state?

Just curious if I am the only one...feeling guilty, but just want to see what other people are thinking.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to JSnow789

I'm looking at buying a beach condo now-BEFORE i get laid off! I mean I can get the loan now and then just sit on it like everyone else in foreclosure right!!!

I don't think I'm going to get laid off-but I am looking for an ocean front condo-The prices are to good to ignore.

~~~~~~~
Norwegian Windward May, 1993 (before she became the 'Wind')
Explorer Feb, 2007
Legend Aug, 2008
Grandeur Mar, 2009
Monarch May, 2009
Monarch Sep, 2009
Enchantment Nov, 2009
Liberty Jan, 2010
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
First Mate

I'll be cruising in 5 weeks and have two more booked. I always look at the glass half full. Hope things go well for you.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Admiral

My job is pretty safe, and I'm pretty close to retirement. I was fortunate to have changed my 401k to a fixed fund before the market atarted to tank.
I'm still cruising but I would be in better shape it the economy were to improve.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Not yet. I still have a job,allbeit in the auto sector(gulp).I dont have to make final payment 'till July and I actually already have the money put aside. I will have to decide wether to pay for the cruise or save it to buy wood to burn in the barrel outside the box I'll be living in.
Carnival Pride Jan/07 Long Beach
Splendour of the Seas Sept/09 Venice
Adventure of the Seas Jan/11 San Juan
Adventure of the Seas Feb/12 San Juan
Navigator of the Seas Jan/13 N'arlins

<

Read and post cruise reviewsRead and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Yeoman

If many people feel that they can't afford to cruise, the cruises might be cheaper. That means that I might cruise more and choose a better cabin.
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
First Mate

Default Economy

I too put everything I had in a money market in July 2007 so I have not been affected.

I work in the marine industry and it is very fragile. I am looking at my up coming cruise as maybe a last hurrah....but who knows.

I do feel a bit guilty taking a cruise with what America is going through.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
First Mate

For those of us who were told to hang in there and leave the 401k's alone, thise is a disaster.
So much for advice.
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good replies all. Many of us are in the same boat and you have to live life to the fullest because you can't take $ to the grave!

But nevertheless, with a couple kids to put through college, etc, the cruise that we normally take each year becomes an issue for us personally.

Like I said for most of us that weren't smart enough to go fixed funds, all of us are in the same sitaution.

I really try to look at glass half full, but you can't be blind what is going on around us. Hopefull Obama will get his act together and spark the market!
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Passenger

It has taken a toll on me. I do not have 401 k's or anything like that to fall back on. My sister and I own our small company. Befor this year, I had no money problems. We would stay in a suite and enjoy the perks. Now my sister can't aford to go, and because she is my cruise partner I have to pay for her. So I do have to think of funds when booking a cruise. We are staying in a central park room on oasis. I hope the rooms are a little bigger than everyone says they are.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Captain

I will not be booking a cruise onboard. I am not worried about my finances... I am worried about the cruiselines finances. Too risky in my opinion.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
I will not be booking a cruise onboard. I am not worried about my finances... I am worried about the cruiselines finances. Too risky in my opinion.
We are still a powerfull country and we will pull out of this economic mess.
The cruise industry will make it and so will we.

My next cruise is on 4-12-09, and I have two more booked.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Admiral

I'm in my early 40s so I did leave my pension plan alone and I'm just ignoring it right now We are cruising closer to home this year, but we have more cruises booked than normal due to the deals. HAL in May to Alaska, picked up a last minute deal, $279 before taxes. Then in September we're doing a coastal with a Mexican Riviera on Princess. So our total is down as we've hit the med. the last 3 out of 4 years, but we're getting three cruises out of it. Hopefully we're starting to stablize, we looking at a France land trip next year in place of a cruise.
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
First Mate

I'm just in a funk, and when I am, it's not so much a money thing as an inertia thing. We pulled 90% of our investments when the dow was at 13,000 -- lost a bit on the lagging 10%, but we did ok. Interest rates on CD's -- where everything is parked -- are enough to make you cry, so the entire scheme is thrown off. Originally, the grande plan was predicated on 7% a year return. Taxes are through the roof and ever climbing. I've had my city place up for sell for 19 months, and dropped the price over 60,000 and still not even a good offer. This crap was not supposed to happen to us in Chicago where we did not have the huge appreciations of CA, FL, and AZ. At this point, after realtor fees, I am pretty much going to be breaking even after 7 years, if I can sell it at all.

I was thinking of an anniversary cruise, and this weekend friends tried to talk me into taking the more expensive one I was thinking about, but I just can't get up for it. I'm just glum. It continues to be cold, and I need spring to get me looking up, I think.

I did buy a beach condo two 1/2 years ago, and I am sure I have lost value on that, also, but it wasn't expensive, and I think I will be using that more instead of cruising. I still have to fly to it, but then after that, I already have the cost covered. I do plan on taking a European river cruise in the not too distant future -- something a little different.

I am scared to death that something might happen to the dollar. All the years of saving for retirement being gone just as we hit retirement age, would radicalize me.

If I were a younger person in any profession other than health care, perhaps, if I did not have 12 months of emergency funds stuck aside, on top of full funding of my retirement accounts, I would not even think of putting a foot on a ship or an airplane, for that matter -- first things first. This is selfish on my part, somewhat, because I am sick and tired of bailing out those who live for today instead of plan for tomorrow.