Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome CruiserMeg,
We're always happy to see new posters here. I'm sure you'll find out message boards to be the friendliest and informative at the same time.

Feel free to ask questions or let us know if you have any problems.

Again, Welcome to Cruisemates!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
First Mate

Hi all..thanks for the welcome..

Donna...my only problem is i am not on a SHIP!!!

Ah well...............tomorrow is St Patricks day......amateur night, so i will stay home!
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
First Mate

Once again: Cruise Mate is impressive. Yet another good discussion.

While I may not post here that often I sure do read it on a daily basis.

As I said over at CC: this was the attempt of a marketing strategy which has gone awkward. For a marketing campaign each individual RC should have something in common with the other. But they really don't. Some have lots of posts, some have not. Some have DP status, some are just Gold, some are positive, some are not.

I still believe that RCI ordered a marketing company to seek out posters which filled a certain profile. But getting 50 people with these requirements probably was harder to do than initially anticipated.

So, they found a handful and then went by reference. They asked those few selected who they recommend, recommendation done, forwarded and RCI contacted them.

You got your first 50. The second 'official' group is even more diverse.

You can not find an RC who publicly says why they were chosen. They say "I have no idea".

First of all, if I join any program I like to know the details. What is in involved, what do I have to invest, what do I get back. Seems like non did that.

Secondly, the better way of doing such program in an online community is: to invite publicly. Let people apply. State guidelines, have membership applications in which you state why you have the 'stuff' to be a Royal Champion.

Finally, product promotion and biased reporting are two different things. When RCs begin to promote the RCI brand and battle opinions by 'attacking' bad reviews that is a dangerous territory.

Funny though I did attack bad reviews or complainers threads but mostly by those who were one post wonders and never returned, those who wouldn't take accountability for things they should take responsibility for or those who complained before they even put a foot on an RCI ship for the first time.

I still think that this program, once initiated as a marketing ploy, has become a 'friend-picks-friend' program.

I said on the RCI thread that I will find out. And so I will. Last weekend was very encouraging.

I think RCI did not even know the extend of the program until now. They may just have thought that all these RCs are the result of the marketing research.

That this issue spiraled so out of control is the responsibility of the RCs themselves. People asked very simple questions and instead of answers they got 'sarcasm', 'accusations' and were attacked.

Thanks again to Paul and CM for yet another great thread on a hot topic.
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Fl Cruiser...you are correct.....(but i think saying the campaign went awkward is a HUGE understatement!! )

that thing needs to be locked so it dies a quick death into cyber oblivion.

Now....back to trying to be helpful and plotting what line to tr next!
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Admiral

welcome to all the new folks.... so if you guys are all booked to cruise please be sure to join the roll calls; would like to see more participating in Cruisemate roll calls....
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM
First Mate

I will pop over to roll alls...as soon as i figure out what cruises i will actually take.

i've got 2 booked on RC....but like a nut, they are 3 weeks away, so i know at least ONE will get changed....i was toying with trying Celebrity...but that's giving money to RC again!

Yikes.

I did just send off an email to the powers that be over at RCI expressing (in a rather shortish email, unusual for me! ) my distaste for the mess they've caused.
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
First Mate

Paul..thanks!

Yes, things have changed....seems that sometimes people just want to be, hmm, well bone heads is a good word!

Drama free is a good thing! Yes, we like the air over here........

I know if I was a new cruiser..(and we all were once) and i saw all sorts of-hmm- bashing to sum it all up-on a message board, ANY board, i would be put off.

I was a new poster on another travel board and, to be truthful, i had posted several bad reviews of hotels i'd been in. (Full disclosure, i USED to work for a big hotel chain...I own stock, and have for over 20 years since i bought it on the Employee program...and i stay inthose hotels all the time...because they have LOTS of brands, a good product and 95% of the time, the best rates.) ANYWAY, someone had the nerve to say I had 10 posts and 8 were negative...OK..my reply wasdo you want to see the photos of the busted stuff??? I had been in, literally 8 rooms and 7 had something broken, dirty, missing or all three!

THAT almost scared me off until they realized that I KNEW what i was talking about.

But I digress....it's nice to NOT be belittled!

have a nice day!
Old March 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
First Mate

Pahleez! Look at the review that I posted on TripAdvisor about a B&B called Smart in Rome. I made sure that I took pictures and I posted them. I didn't want anyone other than backpackers to go to this Roman Gulag of a hotel.

I have seven reviews of which two of them are 1.0, one 2.0 and the rest are 4.0 or 5.0.

It's really easy to tell a shill. Look at a review of a place in Montreal called Angelica Blue. The good reviews smell funny. There is no way that EVERYTHING is perfect.

What one person sees one way another sees differently. For example, I have no use for the CL on RCL.. I don't drink coffee or any of that stuff. I hardly ever drink alcohol. I don't like exclusivity. I like to meet people, chat, join in the games and fun. Others simply love the CL and for them C&A wouldn't be anything without the CL. It's just human nature. We all value things differently.

Paul, I certainly see your point about message board bullies. It's nice to be able to chime in with some really helpful or critical information when it really needs to be said.
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Wow - thanks for the openess I'm seeing here. I can't believe the mess that CC has made for itself. I for one, have no respect for them.

I have posted reviews over there and now desperately wished I hadn't. It's pointless when people now look at reviews there with a jaded eye. I know I won't even bother reading them anymore.

I've been working on one from our January cruise and I will complete it but it won't be posted over there.

I do find it amusing that the RC's are defending themselves and each other. CC is not defending them - they are somewhat defending themselves but that's all.

So many things are clearer now - I almost want to hit myself upside the head for being so dense at times.

BTW - for clarity - I am a D+ with RCL - they have been our line of choice for sometime although we have decided it's time to "spread our wings". I work for the municipal government here but I am also a P/T TA. (mods - if that was wrong to say, please remove it). But in that capacity I have "pushed" RCL/Celebrity more than any other line. In our office I am knows as the so called "expert" on RCL. That will change now I must admit.

We have sailed well over 20 cruises - Princess, NCL, Celebrity and of course, RCL.

I have been banned on CC for trying to help people because I'm a "TA" yet one of the better known posters over there starts almost every post with "I am a TA............... I don't know if she is a RC or not.

However, now that all of this is in the open I have such a clearer understand of why I periodicly get banned. On well, it won't be much of a problem anymore as I will try to keep my fingers to myself. There are 2 threads I will continue to post on - in the floataway but that will be it.
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Admiral

As a regular disgusted poster at CC, I want to thank Cruisemates for allowing this civil discussion to take place. Like Paul said earlier, there are a few posters on the RCL board over there that are just nasty and now I know whey as everyone of them is a RC.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Welcome to all the newcomers. I have been avoiding this mess both at CC and over here. I finally feel the need to have my say.

Paul, thaks for inviting this open, civil and necessary thread. We all need to know who we can trust. Obviously, many of us who spend a lot of time on CC feel they have abused their relationship with us.

It reminds me of a one night stand where the sex was great but there was no respect in the morning. 8) I feel slightly used and a little bit like I need a good shower.

I think a lot of folks will now take everything done and said over there with a huge grain of salt. I know I will.

I am so happy that Cruisemates has not been involved with this kind of misleading and inappropriate behavior.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The key to discussion is CIVILITY. Even discord can take place civily, if people take the time to think about what they're posting.

We have no problem here with people disagreeing. It's not always Rah! Rah! and everything is beautiful. But we do hate it when there's "swarming", intimidation and bullying going on.

We prefer to make people welcome to voice their opinions, than to chase them away... and that requires civility.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Truth, dare, double dare...promise or repeat?

Truth, dare, double dare...promise or repeat?

Like the old game, what can be trusted?
CC was playing and found it was busted
You can censor a book or a letter from home
Or maybe delete a stupid old poem

But once it's posted on-line in a room
Chatter sticks..until the end of doom
Delete it you might, but not without risk
Of someone saying..."tsk, tsk, tsk"

CC has blundered, publically scorned
RCI misstepped, carefully warned
Cruisemates shines, a no-nonsense site
A beacon of truth, of reliable might

Ignore the obtuse and dim-witted posts
Rely on CM with good natured hosts
Regardless of chatter or blog-o-sphere din
HAVE FUN on your cruise...for that is no sin!

Costa cruise in 1989
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Passenger

I think my head may explode from this whole drama. It has certainly caused me to do more research on the subject, examine both sides of the issue and look at other cruise communities that I have "forgotten" about in the past. Thanks for being a port in the storm and presenting a valid outlook without the vitriol and unnecessary emotion that has taken over this topic.

Paul, I especially appreciate your insights on the recruitment of a minor. I admit I found that a bit strange and a little ethically challenging. While I have posted a few times that I felt this subject was blown way out of proportion, the longer it goes on, the more I am able to view both sides of this issue in a new light.
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I think my head may explode from this whole drama. It has certainly caused me to do more research on the subject, examine both sides of the issue and look at other cruise communities that I have "forgotten" about in the past. Thanks for being a port in the storm and presenting a valid outlook without the vitriol and unnecessary emotion that has taken over this topic.

Paul, I especially appreciate your insights on the recruitment of a minor. I admit I found that a bit strange and a little ethically challenging. While I have posted a few times that I felt this subject was blown way out of proportion, the longer it goes on, the more I am able to view both sides of this issue in a new light.
hey Wolfie, how are you? Now you know where I've been hangin' for a while.

Check out our CruiseMates cruise from Galveston in January 2010. It would be good to cruise with you again. It's a wonderful group of people.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...nquest2009.cfm

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Passenger

hey Snooze! Yep, so this is where you are.

January will probably not be good - we are doing Mariner 11/29 so will most likely do Voyager again in March or April 2010. Thanks for the offer though. And now back to our regularly scheduled non-vitriolic thread.
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
hey Snooze! Yep, so this is where you are.

January will probably not be good - we are doing Mariner 11/29 so will most likely do Voyager again in March or April 2010. Thanks for the offer though. And now back to our regularly scheduled non-vitriolic thread.
At least I got a plug in--the price is right if you can get away.
BTW--Welcome back to CruiseMates. It's a fun group.

Back on topic: At least this has opened the eyes of a lot of people over there.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
The key to discussion is CIVILITY. Even discord can take place civily, if people take the time to think about what they're posting.

We have no problem here with people disagreeing. It's not always Rah! Rah! and everything is beautiful. But we do hate it when there's "swarming", intimidation and bullying going on.

We prefer to make people welcome to voice their opinions, than to chase them away... and that requires civility.
You are so right. I find the CC has gone from downhill for quite some time now. I really didn't know why ....but no more.

It's interesting that someone from over there had been over here then went back there and posted a rather derogatory remark. Not enough to worry about - just enough to be rude.

I love to get into a good discussion. I just don't like and won't do the rudeness that is rampant over there.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisermeg
Fl Cruiser...you are correct.....(but i think saying the campaign went awkward is a HUGE understatement!! )

that thing needs to be locked so it dies a quick death into cyber oblivion.

Now....back to trying to be helpful and plotting what line to tr next!
I agree with your thoughts about understatement, but disagree that the thread should sink into cyber oblivion because it is one of the most illuminating things I have ever seen from a marketing study point of view. I do believe, in time, it will be held up by many -- sociologists, marketers -- as an example of human dynamics as well as marketing strategy. Sometimes things which cause some angst have real value to society.

I was thinking about a marketing scam I got sucked into a month ago, and believe me I do not get suckered easily. It was one of those Sat am things -- checked a site I frequent, nothing to do with cruises -- and saw this ad -- never even thought about it being one. It purported to review a particular product; I am sure you might have seen these things reviewing teeth whiteners. Well, I had tried a similar product that I picked up at the cosmetic counter, and had not been satisifed, so I read the thing. It ranked this one product as best, the others were ranked from not too bad, to doesn't work, and it gave you a little "hint" that if you clicked on the star on the product's web page you could get a nice discount for trying a free trial of something else. Dumb, dumb, dumb me -- I did it -- what the heck, for $5 bucks, the bottom line price after the discount, I'll try most anything. Holy catfish -- the credit card info request came up, the price was shown as 4.99 and I bit! Next thing I knew, I was charged $55, was told, but not before they had my cc, that I had to get a rebate from this other free trial thingy. Then the "free" trial thingy, quickly charges me 1.87 (I now know that is to check if you have a good cc), and I get signed up for an automatic VIP delivery of the $55 product every other month, and had to affirmatively opt out, and on and on and on it goes. I decided to suffer the consequences of my stupidity and not get the free, not so free, trial which also would have hooked me into something - and am still waiting on my cc bill to see if I have properly gotten credits, etc. (the product stunk and supposedly offers a refund if sent back, which I did).

So there you have it -- internet advertising scams -- sites which even look like legitimate reviews of various products in a line, just scamming away. And I thought I was too savvy -- stupid me, I should have known if it wasn't in consumer reports, forget about it -- and now I wonder about them.

I have been wanting to try another line, myself, and I will be looking a bit more carefully in their direction, now. One thing I always liked about RCL (X and RCCL) is that they don't allow TA's to offer anything but little bennies so I didn't have to try to figure out how to get the best deal; and as a platinum member, I got a discount on a balcony, but now, they are disallowing the combining of so many things, like breaks if you are a stock holder, which once could be combined, that it has become like traversing the mine fields, I thought I was avoiding. I HATE not getting the best deal I can! I pride myself in that, and it is why so many friends of mine ask for travel advice.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Truth, dare, double dare...promise or repeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1815
Truth, dare, double dare...promise or repeat?

Like the old game, what can be trusted?
CC was playing and found it was busted
You can censor a book or a letter from home
Or maybe delete a stupid old poem

But once it's posted on-line in a room
Chatter sticks..until the end of doom
Delete it you might, but not without risk
Of someone saying..."tsk, tsk, tsk"

CC has blundered, publically scorned
RCI misstepped, carefully warned
Cruisemates shines, a no-nonsense site
A beacon of truth, of reliable might

Ignore the obtuse and dim-witted posts
Rely on CM with good natured hosts
Regardless of chatter or blog-o-sphere din
HAVE FUN on your cruise...for that is no sin!

very good! I enjoyed that, thanks!
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:34 PM
First Mate

jaxon.....

i just want it to go away so MY head won't blow up! (THAT would be gross!)..interesting and enlightening..you got it...but, nauseating.

and paul1815.......

you win the pulitzer prize for poetry!
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:
...i just want it to go away so MY head won't blow up!
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Admiral

OMG I can't stop laughing!!! Too funny!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Admiral

is there TEQUILA in that bubble
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM
First Mate

Ah....my French Canadian friend....

tres bon!!

Ephraim, you are crazy...in a very good way!!!!!!

As an aside, I am currently plotting my next trip up your way......mom and I need our annual dose of Montreal!
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Ah....my French Canadian friend....

tres bon!!

Ephraim, you are crazy...in a very good way!!!!!!

As an aside, I am currently plotting my next trip up your way......mom and I need our annual dose of Montreal!
I love Google Images. You can find almost anything when you need it.

Just so you know... I'm am English Canadian, born and bred in Montreal, part of that local minority known as Anglophones (ie native English speakers, which might explain my odd English spelling). My partner is French Canadian. Where do you stay in Montreal? Going to Schwartz's. We leave right next to Square St-Louis and Prince-Arthur. If you need some other recommendations or suggestions, drop a line.

(Don't worry, I realize that you can't hear my lack of accent and impeccable English through your speakers. At least until you have given me full control of your computer)

BTW.. Paul, if you ask me I can create a nice FAQ about Canada and Canadians as I did on the site I'm a refugee from. Lovely interesting, boring and trivial facts about Canada and Canadians.... from my head that's "full of useless crap" as someone somewhere said.
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Ah.......well, we love Canada and Canadians...(my grandma was French Canadian...)

we generally stay at the Spring Hill SUites over in Old Montreal round the corner from Notre Dame.....nice, quiet and near lots of cute little places to eat...

and when we get bored we hop a cab (or i walk to the subway) and head up to the underground...or the Baie...or whatever!
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Ah.......well, we love Canada and Canadians...(my grandma was French Canadian...)

we generally stay at the Spring Hill Suites over in Old Montreal round the corner from Notre Dame.....nice, quiet and near lots of cute little places to eat...

and when we get bored we hop a cab (or i walk to the subway) and head up to the underground...or the Baie...or whatever!
I think we are OT...

Great, now I'm going to feel OLD... when I was a child I remember going to the Baie... but it was called Morgan's at the time. If you don't know, that building has a plaque on it from the daughters of the confederacy stating that Jefferson Davis once slept there. Been to Gibby's?

Back OT (so we don't get in trouble)

I see that CC has posted that they will no longer be a go between to providing email addresses... thus ending RCL's ability to easily create new RCs, but still taking no action to ensure content integrity. They should have NEVER been a go between in the first place, if you want do it for a user... then why would you do it for someone else?
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Admiral

I also see they have rolled another thread into there where the RC's were mocking those complaining about it.

Do you really think CC is being nuetral in this saga - not at all. I believe they know exactly what they are doing when the roll something like that together. If they don't - they have more money than brains in owning/managing that site.
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim
I see that CC has posted that they will no longer be a go between to providing email addresses... thus ending RCL's ability to easily create new RCs, but still taking no action to ensure content integrity. They should have NEVER been a go between in the first place, if you want do it for a user... then why would you do it for someone else?
They never whould have put themselves in that position if they did not want to completely control communication on their boards. Had they not locked dowm the PM amd email features of the software they use there would have been no reason to get in the middle of the situation.

Sometimes treating adults as adults is a better option.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Closed Thread