CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Tux or suit on formal nite??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/362203-tux-suit-formal-nite.html)

dave 3261 March 9th, 2009 05:14 PM

Tux or suit on formal nite???

My wife and I will be going on the Explorer of the Seas in April. I have not decided if I will wear a suit or tuxedo. What do most men wear?
Thank You,

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April,2009

blueliner March 9th, 2009 05:18 PM

Re: Tux or suit on formal nite???

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave 3261
My wife and I will be going on the Explorer of the Seas in April. I have not decided if I will wear a suit or tuxedo. What do most men wear?
Thank You,

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004

On the cruises I have been on, it is usually an 80% suit to 20% tux split. I always just wear a nice dark suit myself. We have always changed right after dinner into casual clothes anyway for the evening, so we never saw the need to rent a tux for only a couple of hours of wear. Those that do rent or wear a tux will usually wear them throughout the evening.

dave 3261 March 9th, 2009 05:44 PM

Suit vs. Tux

Thanks for your input. At this point I'm leaning towards a suit,especially if it is 80/20 and I don't own a tux and do not care to wear rental clothes.Thanks again-Dave-

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April, 2009

JSnow789 March 9th, 2009 06:11 PM

Personally-I own a Tux so that is what I wear. There are such few opportunities to wear it that I take every chance I can!

Plus I think that a formal occasion calls for a Tux.

:)

dave 3261 March 9th, 2009 06:35 PM

Very funny quote! So it's 1 to 1 now. I set sail on April 17th so I'll see how this thread goes and decide by, say the beginning of April so I have time for alterations if I decide to buy a tuxedo.Thank You!

Carnival Victory,2003
Carnival Victory,2004

blueliner March 9th, 2009 06:47 PM

I don't know how the thread will go, but onboard ship, it runs 80/20 suit over tux. On my last cruise on the Majesty OTS, we didn't see a single tux, we were looking for them.

subtropic March 9th, 2009 06:52 PM

On my very first cruise (back in 1982) I wore a tux. Have not taken one since. Yes they are a nice throwback to formal dinners but are really not advisable (for the extra stuff you pack). A small minority still sport the formal attire but a dark suit will fit the bill.

Pootersdad March 9th, 2009 08:27 PM

Suit vs. Tux

I wore a suit until three or four years ago. I bought a tux (paid $100 for it), and have taken it on cruises since. After all, what is a tux but a suit with a big belt around your waist? If you can get a tux at a good price, go for it. Never know when you might be invited to a formal affair, or the Captain's table...... :roll:

JSnow789 March 9th, 2009 08:40 PM

I have several different vests with matching ties that go with my tux.

Plus-I can report that you turn a LOT more heads in a tux than you do in just a suit... And that can be either a good or a bad thing!

Since I'm cruising alone this week-I'm already sad there is only 1 formal night!

:p

Pootersdad March 10th, 2009 07:52 AM

Suit vs. Tux

Plus, I think I look better in a tux. OK, I know it's all in my head, but what the heck..... :roll:

thecruisequeen March 10th, 2009 07:59 AM

A suit is fine. A Tux is great but if you don't have one there is no need to go out and buy one for the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise... :)

katlady March 10th, 2009 11:03 AM

My hubby owns a tux, he wears it on both formal nights and just changes out the shirt and tie. Men are so lucky. Women have to have two completely different outfits and shoes to match. Oh well at least it gives me a reason to shoe shop. :wink:

paul1815 March 10th, 2009 02:38 PM

I am thinking of renting one through RCL

Has anyone done that and if so was the service and quality of the suit OK?

Ron n Jon March 11th, 2009 09:46 AM

For the many cruies taken, I have always brought along a black suit. I also bring a formal shirt with studs and a black bow tie. I also bring along regular business shirts with standard ties. The decision to go "formal" or not is usually taken after you have met people you will be dinning with or some social activity where people make their position clear on formal dress. If the table indicates they are going formal I will don the formal shirt, etc. If they decide to go business, I do likewise. The balck suit is almost indistinguishable from a tux especially in the

Ron n Jon March 11th, 2009 09:54 AM

For the many cruises taken, I have always brought along a plain black suit. I pack a formal shirt with studs and a black bow tie. I also bring along regular business shirts with standard ties.

The decision to go "formal" or not is usually taken after you have met people you will be either dinning with or some social activity where people make their position clear on formal dress. If the table indicates they are going formal I will don the black suit and formal shirt, etc. If they decide to go business, I do likewise with regular shirt. The black suit is almost indistinguishable from a tux especially when socializing in such a large crowd.

For the sake of packing one additional shirt and tie, having this flexibility has been most rewarding.

jaxon March 15th, 2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtropic
On my very first cruise (back in 1982) I wore a tux. Have not taken one since. Yes they are a nice throwback to formal dinners but are really not advisable (for the extra stuff you pack). A small minority still sport the formal attire but a dark suit will fit the bill.

Now that the airlines are charging for extra bags, I think there are even fewer tuxes. On our last cruise, I am not sure if I saw more than one or two. My husband always used to take a tux, but not, now -- because of the packing, particularly the extra shoes. He has big feet, and he really needs to minimize how much foot wear he brings. Before extra luggage fees, we had one bag, just for his shoes.

Although he looks smashing in a tux, it used to take some work from me getting him ready -- the cumberbund, the bow tie, the shirt studs, the suspenders, the vest adjustment! Beyond, "Honey, zip me up." I don't require much help, and I am happier now that he doesn't, and I can just get dressed. Poor guy -- he never liked wearing one, anyway.

OLD MAN March 15th, 2009 05:23 PM

Ether a tux or a suit is OK.. But please leave it on for the full evening. Don't go back to your room after dinner and change cloths.. The whole evening is to be fromal attire, not just dinner.. OM

ziggypup March 17th, 2009 02:59 AM

Tuxedo

cruiserdad March 17th, 2009 11:17 PM

8) 1st cruise I wore a tux, now just take a suit with a couple of shirts. I must say though. I did look better in the tux. There really isn't much differance taking a suit or a tux, is there? 8)

Jeff of Torrance March 18th, 2009 12:08 AM

A tux on formal nights. Slacks, nice shirt and sport coat for the rest.

Ron n Jon March 18th, 2009 08:36 PM

As former formal night advocates, not formal night (if you want to) formal night (if you do not want to) formal night with blazer, formal night with no jacket but a long large tie. It has all become ridiculous. Oceania had the right idea ions ago… if the customers say they do not want it, don’t schedule it!!!!

It was nice while it lasted… so was the Titanic!!!. For heaven’s sake get rid of formal nights and we will all be much happier. Those who want to wear formal wear do so at your country club, do so at your daughter’s wedding, but let’s get use to the idea that there are no more REAL formal nights on the high sea. There can now only be those under false pretence where most passengers do not adhere to the code and the host company could care less in enforcing it.

When something that has been dead for some time becomes rancor, for heaven bury it!

cruisinmike March 18th, 2009 08:50 PM

I've done suit and tux. Own my tux, but it's just the mood I'm in I suppose.

One thought on the packing bit though. With the airlines nickel and diming and the costs for round trip luggage, it may be advisable to rent if you want to dress-up if packing the suit/tux puts you into an extra bag. You'd have to look at that on a case by case basis.

Regardless, you'll feel comfortable either way. Enjoy the cruise.

Mike M March 19th, 2009 02:34 AM

After about fifteen cruises I finally gave up on the tuxedo. I now wear a very nice, dark suit for formal night.

I do believe the tuxedo on most mass market lines is going the way of the dinosaur.

Take care,
Mike

SAAdds1 March 19th, 2009 09:10 PM

My husband wears a suit.
I will admit that I like to see a man in a tux. :)

dave 3261 March 27th, 2009 03:38 AM

I think I'll go with my nice pinstripe suite for formal night and a black suit for the second formal night. When blueliner said he did not see a single tux on his cruise, I made my decision. I have read that caribbean cruises are not as formal as mediterranean cruises

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April, 2009