Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Beginner

Default Things you need to know about the Mariner

Hello...
My family and I just got back from our cruise to Mexico on the Mariner. This was my 2nd time on that ship. The first time around was out of Orlando. A lot has changed since than! First off do not try to sneak any alcohol or irons on. They have dogs that shiff and everything is put through the machines...looked over very well. There were a ton of people who did not get their belongings due to those things. I was one of them. I had the iron in my suitcase, which I leave in there. I forgot all about it. I had no problems taking it through Orlando. Well not this time. After dinner I went to claim my luggage and when I went down there, there were a ton of people doing the same thing. Lets just say they were not happy! One lady's bag was checked because she had some silver on her shoe. She was not happy! So be careful of what you pack.
They no longer have mints on the pillows. The only cabins that get them are the suites. I asked about it and they said it stopped in Jan. They are under staffed! I over heard 2 employees talking about it. Royal is on a hiring frezze. There were supose to be 25 in her department and there were only 16. The lady who works in the perfume shop is the only one who works there. She is open from 9am until 11pm on sea days. They were closed on one of days for a couple of hours and she said that was the first time she ever had to close. She was beat and needed to take a break.
The ship is not kept up as well as I expected. Chops went from $20 to $25. Jonney Rockets went from $3.95 to $4.95. They now charge for room service. And the shows were no where comparable to the ones we have seen the last time around. Some of them were so bad I just walked out. Oh and one last thing....the Mexico ports are no where comparable to the caribbean ports. So if this is your first crusie I would choose something else. Everyone has thier own thoughts ...Some like it some hate it. Deanna
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Admiral

An iron is a BIG no-no onboard a cruise ship. It is a huge fire hazard, good thing they checked the luggage and confiscated it.

I disagree, the Mexican Riviera ports have a lot to offer and I really enjoyed them on my cruise a couple of years ago.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Familiar Face

I guess were all differen't! I was on the first Mariner Mexican Riviera sailing, my third time on Mariner. I personally thought the boat seemed in very good condition. I too heard that staff had been cut, however I can't say that I noticed it, in fact I thought service at the windjammer was better than in the past. Somehow I managed to bootleg alcohol and a travel iron onboard, luck of the draw I guess. I have been on 12 caribbean cruises, this was my first mexican riviera, I thought it was a nice change, the water isn't as blue and the islands (I know Mexico isn't and island) aren't as green but it was something different....we really enjoyed Mazatlan much to my surprise. On a side note, the 5-8pm gathering in the concierge lounge was moved to a larger lounge, is this typical?

Any questions about the cruise feel free to ask!
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have heard about the missing mints Have not heard anyone report a charge for room service? What was the charge...I've always just tipped the person who brought the meal...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
First Mate

To help clarify the Room Service Charge; I just sailed on Independence two weeks ago and here's the deal. If you order Room Service between Midnight and 5AM there is a $5.00 service fee. It is still FREE any other time of the day. As for Chops, yes the price went up from $20 to $25; BUT the new price now INCLUDES your gratuity! So before you ended up spending the extra $5.00 anyway on a tip. Also, the poster failed to mention that Portofino is still $20.00 and that also INCLUDES your gratuity. So in a way Portofino just got cheaper! As for Johnny Rockets, yes it did go up by a dollar, but who really cares as all repeat cruises get a free coupon for one free visit; really no big deal.

Chocolates --> Agreed they removed them and are only given out in the suites; however, if you ask nicely to your cabin stewart he/she will get them for you free of charge.
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Passenger

I heard it was only $3

I did'nt find the need to get room service. I did'nt mind walking down and getting something to bring back to the room. Plus, I needed the exercise after all that food.
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks,
That explains it more clearly...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Admiral

There is always the other side to the story. The OP may or may not have had an agenda with their post, but obviously left out vital info in the post concerning the issues they raised. I'm always a bit leary of a poster that complains when they cannot smuggle things onboard, like an iron which is such a big fire hazard! I actually did a little fist pump and a "yeah" when I read the cruiseline stopped the iron.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
First Mate

So lets see you tried to bring something not allowed onboard and got caught, and so you blame the cruise line for enforcing their rules. The rules are there for a reason and a fire on a ship is a big reason not to allow irons onboard. No Mexico is not the Caribbean but is still a nice place to visit. The speciality restaurants and Johnny Rockets are optional places to eat and if the price is to high for you then stick to the Windjammer and the dining room. Mints on the pillows are really a nice touch but we usually just bring them home for the kids, if they are missed that much ask for them or stay in a suite. There was a thread on this site months ago that the mints were disappearing so it shouldn't have been an unknown before you left. Overall have never had a bad day cruising, yes we have had excursions cancelled, rainy weather, rough seas, but hey we are on vacation and don't let things bother us, it could be worse we could be at work instead of on a huge ship being waited on and exploring the beautiful things the world has to offer us.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Beginner

I did not post this to get negative feedback. My reason for posting this was to make people aware of some drawbacks on the ship. I have read the previous posts over the last few months and they have all said "I have heard" nothing confirmed. Unless I am missing something. As far as the iron goes, I was not trying to smuggle it on. It stays in my suitcase at all times. It is a travel iron. I would be lying if I were to say that I would not have used it. I could go on with a list of things that are far worse than an iron as far as a fire hazard is concerned but I will leave that one alone!

Deanna
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Been on Mariner twice in Caribbean from Port Canaveral (Orlando is 50 miles West) and had the best time ever. Of course I don't worry about irons or hair dryers but my booze and beer did get through. It was the last two Springs Breaks too. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10