Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Big table or table for two,which is best?

My wife thinks we should sit at a big table so we can socialize and meet people. I Kind of wanted a table for two. I look at it like we will be socializing and meeting people all day and might just want to have a quiet, romantic dinner just the two of us. What says you? Thank You

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April, 2009
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Captain

Getting a table for two takes an act of ___ (or a well placed twenty dollar bill). This is an area where even we "old timers" with "RCI" think they just might be messing up the request so they can "straighten it out" for you. We are "Diamond Plus," cruise Travel Agents and had the top # of cruises on our "Legend" cruise last month, yet we were assigned a table for eight instead of the small table "RCI" had confirmed on our reservation form.

But my vote is to at least ask since they are putting some people there, even got it once ourselves! It is nice to socialize but you are right that there are plenty of other opportunties during the day to meet/greet.
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Familiar Face

It all depends what you like. I just booked and my TA said there are not many tables for 2. She asked if i wanted a small 4-6 or a large 8-10 people. The way i look at it - if the small table has only 1 other couple and you have nothing in common its better to get the large table. Out of 8-10 people you should find someone you click with.
Bottom line - It depends what you want !!!

If you dont like your table after teh first night - see the Matri'D and he will do his best to make the neccesary changes you require..

Carnival Freedom Jan 2012
RC Liberty OTS Feb 2011
Carnival Valor Feb 2010
RC Navigator OTS Apr 2009
Carnival Splendor Jan 2009
Carnival Valor- Feb 2008
Carnival Ecstacy - Feb 2006
Carnival Imagination - Jan 2005
Carnival Fascination - Feb 2004
Carnival Fascination - Jan 2003
Disney Magic - Nov 2003
Carnival Ecstacy - Feb 2001
Royal Caribbean Sovereign Of the Seas 1999
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 1997
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Admiral

I always request a table for two and always get it. Dave I agree with you. I have all day to mingle and meet wonderful fellow cruisers but when it comes to dinner time I want it to be family only time.

Enjoy your cruise!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My vote, a big table. Its much more fun and interesting to meet and talk to people about their day's activities. There is plenty of time during the day to sit at the pool just the 2 of you or walk, etc. You can always go to the buffet or a speciality restaurant and have a small table, just the 2 of you whenever you want.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

We had a table for two on our 02/09 VOS cruise and loved it. We sent an email to RCL a few weeks before the cruise making the table for 2 request.

BTW - - The second night the Head Waiter came by and asked how we liked our table and added that we must have requested it in advance because there were only four tables for two in the entire VOS dining room.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Pattizoo

We have taken 2 longer cruises. One of the highlights of each cruise was our new friends from our table. We never did anything together during the day, but we always looked forward to dinner and missed anyone who didn't show up. Both times, we all ended up sharing one of the last nights in the specialty restaurants together too. We still email regularly with some of them and hope to visit each other's homes in the future. (they are from the UK and Australia and New Zealand) We DIDN'T really get to know many folks during the daytime. It was the extended time over dinner that allowed the friendships to develop. On a shorter (7 days or less,) not sure it would make all that much difference. People tend to settle in more on longer cruises, more sea days to just hang out, more time to develop common interests.
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Admiral

We allways get a table for 6 or 8, and we have enjoyed the company of many pleasant and interesting people on our cruises.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Familiar Face

8) We have always sat with family in dining room. On our last cruise we sat with one other couple and they asked to be moved as soon as we walked up to the table with our 2 toddlers. Next cruise is just wife and I and we asked for large late seating so we can meet new people. We figure with 6-8 people, there should be someone we like, or someone who likes us.lol 8)
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Passenger

We just got back from a back to back cruise. the first week we had a table for 10. The people were fabulous. We all got along great Also made life long friends. The second week we found out that we had a table for two which we did not want. They changed us and we got a table for 8. Well, after meeting the people, I just knew I was not gonna get along with two of the couples. We decided not to go back to the diningroom. We ate in the Windjammer the rest of the week. We also saved on the tips in the dining room. That was a plus for us. We ordered the wine list and it was brought to the Windjammer each night. I enjoyed the variety of food, plus they had table cloths on the table and the waiters all had their black uniforms on. It felt like I was in the dining room. btw....I'm not a fussy person, but one of the guys at the table seemed to be a bit obnoxious and the other one was a bit of a brag and a complainer. Not my cup of tea.
I summed them up the first night.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdad
8) We have always sat with family in dining room. On our last cruise we sat with one other couple and they asked to be moved as soon as we walked up to the table with our 2 toddlers. Next cruise is just wife and I and we asked for large late seating so we can meet new people. We figure with 6-8 people, there should be someone we like, or someone who likes us.lol 8)
I am not sure I would have the nerve to ask for another table, but then if I was sitting with the guy I encountered while watching football on the Inspiration, I would probably ask to be moved.
We would not have asked for another table if you walked up. We love children and think they would have added fun to dinner!
On our June 2009 cruise (which is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary), when asked what size table we wanted, I said I didn't care. So, I am curious as to what we will be assigned. I like to meet people, but if I don't click with them, then it is hard to have a conversation. Then dinner seems like work.
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Maybe it's because next month I will be married 42 years, but I vote for a large table... to me, 8 is best.....getting to chat about the day, with tablemates is such a nice thing...I always rorate seating so, we can get to know everyone..I can eat with hubby at home, as I have for a zillion years

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 16th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Beginner

Did you know that the windjammer serves the same food as the main dining room. The only difference....you do not get a personal waiter, and you can have as much food as you would like with out feeling guilty
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Big table or table for two,which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261
My wife thinks we should sit at a big table so we can socialize and meet people. I Kind of wanted a table for two. I look at it like we will be socializing and meeting people all day and might just want to have a quiet, romantic dinner just the two of us. What says you? Thank You
Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Wow, it's so personal. I have been married 40 years. Probably during the first 25, I would have wanted the table for two, because we were really just into being by ourselves. As we have aged, we have come to enjoy other people, more, and we really do not have that much interaction during the day when cruising -- we're reading in the sun, or on an excursion, where we do get a little of that, so we enjoy the larger table at night, to share the experiences other have had on their excursions, especially. Having said all that -- we have NEVER had bad table mates. We have had wonderful experiences, and have kept in contact with some. Two couples who we actually met on an excursion have become dear friends and we have gone to their country, and they have come here and stayed in our homes with us, so you can make great, life long friends. If I ever had a bad experience with table mates, my mind might change completely, so recognize I have a bias.
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynne
We just got back from a back to back cruise. the first week we had a table for 10. The people were fabulous. We all got along great Also made life long friends. The second week we found out that we had a table for two which we did not want. They changed us and we got a table for 8. Well, after meeting the people, I just knew I was not gonna get along with two of the couples. We decided not to go back to the diningroom. We ate in the Windjammer the rest of the week. We also saved on the tips in the dining room. That was a plus for us. We ordered the wine list and it was brought to the Windjammer each night. I enjoyed the variety of food, plus they had table cloths on the table and the waiters all had their black uniforms on. It felt like I was in the dining room. btw....I'm not a fussy person, but one of the guys at the table seemed to be a bit obnoxious and the other one was a bit of a brag and a complainer. Not my cup of tea.
I summed them up the first night.
You are a genteel soul. I am afraid I would have had to take someone down a peg. The cruise before my last, we had a crappy table placement but enjoyed our table mates (this was a cruise just for my sisters, so had it not been for good company, I would have asked for a table not by the kitchen) even though the fellow was of a different political persuasion. One night, Tom, got a bit loaded before he came to dinner, and the passions did fly. I think the table nearest to us thought we were having a donnybrook, but we weren't -- passionate people can still enjoy each other's passion for a subject. An obnoxious braggert? -- I wouldn't have been able to resist!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Admiral

We have had a table for two twice. I enjoyed it both times. Once for our 30th wedding anniversary and once two people cancelled for a table of four. Very romantic; but if I had my choice I'd opt for the big table. DW and I love our time togather we also love meeting people.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Passenger

my choice is a large table. that way you can talk to all kinds of people. and have a lot of laughs.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

We request a small table but accept whatever we get, we have had some great table mates.
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
My vote, a big table. Its much more fun and interesting to meet and talk to people about their day's activities. There is plenty of time during the day to sit at the pool just the 2 of you or walk, etc. You can always go to the buffet or a speciality restaurant and have a small table, just the 2 of you whenever you want.
I second that motion.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have decided to go with a big table as per my DW's request. It seems that tables for two are few and would rather sit with lots of people than just one other couple that we may or may not like. I made a reservation for Potofinos so we will at least have a table for two there........I think?????

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Default table for two

Dave its interesting that you ask this. My husband and I just had the same discussion. We are opting for a small table. On our last cruise, we ended up with two single older women who continuously asked other people to join us and we had to listen to a couple of sleezeballs try to pick these women up. It was not pleasant. Good luck.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Captain

Wait a minute.
How romantic is a table for two going to be if your wife is looking longingly at the larger tables? How mad is she going to be if you request a table for two?

You might want to rethink this or your cruise could end up being the longest 7 days of your life.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Passenger

We always opt for the large table. We still converse with friends we met many years ago while cruising.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Beginner

My wife and I have never had a problem getting a table for 2 and there was no need to slip any money to anyone. We simply request it when we book our cruise and then double check the table assignment when we board the ship. The only time we ever had a larger table is when we cruise with family or friends. The reason for our table for two request is because on our first two cruises, we had people at the table that were either boring, no personality, or not interested in conversation.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have decided to go with a big table as per my DW's request. It seems that tables for two are few and would rather sit with lots of people than just one other couple that we may or may not like. I made a reservation for Potofinos so we will at least have a table for two there........I think?????

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
an excellent compromise!
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Familiar Face

Dave -
I know this is in the wrong topic area, but you mentioned you were going horseback riding in Sanama. Have you checked the write-ups about the condition of the horses and how they are treated. You may want to reconsider this excursion. I guess I just hate seeing or participating in anything or anyone who is cruel to animals.

http://dr1.com/forums/north-east-coa...ns-samana.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archi...?t-315923.html
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh
Dave -
I know this is in the wrong topic area, but you mentioned you were going horseback riding in Sanama. Have you checked the write-ups about the condition of the horses and how they are treated. You may want to reconsider this excursion. I guess I just hate seeing or participating in anything or anyone who is cruel to animals.

http://dr1.com/forums/north-east-coa...ns-samana.html

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archi...?t-315923.html

Saw it on youtube, horses are in good condition and are only walked.