CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   military discount and DD-214 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/362422-military-discount-dd-214-a.html)

bsoper March 15th, 2009 06:27 PM

military discount and DD-214

Hello. We are looking to book a RC cruise in May that has a military discount. When I have asked RC if a xerox is okay the agent said yes. Then when my travel agent called they said no, must be original. Then when I called RC customer service today, she says a certified copy is okay. We think we may have found my husband's original copy of the DD214, but not sure. Anyone have experience with providing a cruiseline with military documentation?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Beth

jaxon March 15th, 2009 10:15 PM

Re: military discount and DD-214

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsoper
Hello. We are looking to book a RC cruise in May that has a military discount. When I have asked RC if a xerox is okay the agent said yes. Then when my travel agent called they said no, must be original. Then when I called RC customer service today, she says a certified copy is okay. We think we may have found my husband's original copy of the DD214, but not sure. Anyone have experience with providing a cruiseline with military documentation?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
Beth

Yes. Read and print (from the website) their rules regarding such -- it says nothing about an original, or a certified copy, as I recall -- take the rules with you (your copy should indicate the embossing, or contact the veterans administration for a new copy) -- with rules in hand, you will be all ready SHOULD they ask you to show it at check in.

Robbie H March 16th, 2009 03:49 AM

I researched this for another client and "RCI" rules don't distinguish original vs. copy BUT the DD-214 needs to encompass service in active war zone for at least 6 months (not sure if ground personnel at check-in know how to verify this). My guess would be that you won't encounter any poblem if you bring the copy you currently hold.

EMG March 16th, 2009 10:16 PM

I'm not too sure you have to have War service however; you will need the long copy. The copy that shows your discharge type. The short copy may not be accepted and you will be charged the full rate at check in.

Robbie H March 17th, 2009 05:51 AM

Whoops, exactly right. The war zone comment is covered below but most service people meet the 2 year requirement. Off of the "RCI" website;

"Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in."

Campion March 19th, 2009 10:24 AM

A valid military ID (active/retired) should work in leiu of all that paperwork. Of course, if I understand it correctly, if you don't actually retire from the military, the DD is the only proof you have of service?

bsoper March 21st, 2009 04:07 PM

Yes, since my husband is honorable discharge and he put in more than 2 yrs, he has to show a DD-214. They say they want original copy only. They do have some good rates for military. I just saw that the military rate went down 140, so my travel agent called and in theory they are refunding 119 to our cc. I guess I will see!

yankee123 March 26th, 2009 02:20 PM

From RCCL site:

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:
Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A, or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed BLUE Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess the same white card as described above for active personnel. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Spouses of actively deployed, or deceased military personnel, are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. All other guests traveling in the same stateroom are also eligible for the military rate. Spouse must present the PINK Dependent Military ID upon check-in as proof of eligibility.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Spouses, parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

Search FAQs

Need help?

If you're having trouble, you can complete our e-mail form and one of our representatives will contact you.
If you prefer, you can call us directly.
Or you may search this site for more information.