Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default No Concierge Lounge for Diamond Passengers

Only Diamond Plus passengers will be able to access the CL except for freedom class ships.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/be...A_e2:12h3g0fq2

one more reason not to go on rccl.
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Admiral

That's not going to go over very well! I've always thought their repeat guest perks sucked anyway, this confirms it.
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
First Mate

It was expected. Its the result of a pathetic policy (giving multi cruise credits for cheap 3-Nighters and 2 Nighters and giving D and DP status to family members regardless if they had cruises on RCI or not) and fraud (inviting friends and lower C & A status members into the CL).

Thankfully I do not cruise for the benefits and thankfully I decided a couple months ago to spread my wings and broaden my horizon.

I am going on my long cruises on different lines anyways and still will use RCI for the fill ins. Those smaller ships usually do not have CLs anyways.

It is only disappointing because it was preventable.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Admiral

We are D+ now anyway (29 credits) but I can really see a problem. So many people have worked diligently to get to D. They are going to forgo this now and move on to other lines that are offering the same thing for less.

At this point, I believe Princess has or will have as of July 1, better perks.

We noticed on our last couple of cruises they have decreased the coupon book to make it basically worthless. There were only 2 coupons worth using for us anyway.

Now they are even going to take away the wine tasting and make it more "upscale" for a small charge!! yea right.

We will be spreading our wings as well. If one of the other lines comes up with the cruise we want from Dubai to Barcelona I would even consider changing that.

There aren't much by way of incentives now.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am sorry to hear this as a Diamond memeber (15 cruises). I really enjoy the CL lounge on Enchantment and Mariner.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
We are D+ now anyway (29 credits) but I can really see a problem. So many people have worked diligently to get to D. They are going to forgo this now and move on to other lines that are offering the same thing for less.

We noticed on our last couple of cruises they have decreased the coupon book to make it basically worthless. There were only 2 coupons worth using for us anyway.

Now they are even going to take away the wine tasting and make it more "upscale" for a small charge!! yea right.

We will be spreading our wings as well. If one of the other lines comes up with the cruise we want from Dubai to Barcelona I would even consider changing that.

Your RC friends are in an uproar though. I guess Adam did not confirm these changes with them first. Tse.

Old March 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Passenger

Thats it - unless this is changed i'm cruising with another cruise line next year.

jj.... :evil:
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxswain
Thats it - unless this is changed i'm cruising with another cruise line next year.

jj.... :evil:
I booked the southern caribbean on the Caribbean princess on 4-18-2010.

Maybe we can make a Royal Chump cruise out of that one.

Old March 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Passenger

Funny i'm looking at P&O at the minute lol

jj.....
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Wow! Oh well bye bye CL. :o Although there is still the CL for the Diamonds on the Freedom class. 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat

Your RC friends are in an uproar though. I guess Adam did not confirm these changes with them first. Tse.

Not likey my friends, but yes they sure are in an uproar. They are not all D+ - as a matter of fact quite a few are not, and they are not happy at all. This is something we can agree on. Very stupid move on the part of RCL.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
First Mate

Wow, this does suck, just cancelled the Adventure and booked the Liberty. I love the CL. Fortunately the Freedom class is my favorite.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Good timing from RCL. It's taken everyone's attention away from the RCL/CC/RC viral marketing program and put it smack dab on the C&A program.

Can you say hoof and mouth disease.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM
First Mate

this bites! emails sent...

y'all should read some of the carp being posted over 'there'....including a RCPer calling non RCPers morons....or something like that......

so i shall not make hasty decisions, but i shall shop around.....all of our cruises were in JSs except 1. 3 were 7 nighters, one was 9, one was 12 and 3 were 5 9tow of THOSE were a B2B)......57 nghts at sea...that's not small potatoes to me......

and sure, i can go on Freedom class..BUT then i have to haul tushie to FLAUSA so i either have to fly (mom hates it) ,take Amtrak (gotta have a sleeper..TOO much dinero) or drive....what a PITA

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Wow - at least 2 of the threads about the loss of the CL to D have disappeared. If they've been rolled into another thread it doesn't say nor have the posts expanded in the one or two tame ones that are left.

The one where someone said they would organize a petition is gone.

Just how much censorship is going on over there.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Very disappointing. I think a lot of people will look else where now. I know I have lost my incentive. Who's to say once I get my 25th cruise they then won't raise it again to another level. Big mistake IMHO. Oh well, more Princess and Carnival for me now.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Very disappointing. I think a lot of people will look else where now. I know I have lost my incentive. Who's to say once I get my 25th cruise they then won't raise it again to another level. Big mistake IMHO. Oh well, more Princess and Carnival for me now.
Agreee completly. We are D+ but this whole thing still ticks me.

I am completely embarressed now. I have clients who will turn D on their Independence cruise (TA) and was very pleased with myself telling them when they return to the states on April of 2010 on the Independence they will be able to go into the CL lounge. Now I have to tell them that isn't going to happen. (while looking for another ship for them as they won't be happy.)

I just hate when someone makes me look a fool.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 27th, 2009, 09:47 PM
First Mate

Well...Indy will HAVE a Diamond lounge so they can use it....only freedom class and the 2 behemoths will have them....like i'm gonna sail on a ship that won't float....

pity i wanted to try a Freedom class ! what to do what to do

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

And Explorer B2B Video:
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Does anyone know if Diamond Members will be allowed in the CL on cruises before July 1st -- on the Mariner? I know they are saying no after July 1st -- but I don't see them saying 'yes' before July 1st. They just say to call if you have questions about your benefits and are booked for 'before July 1st.' Sounds like it may not be access to the CL but 'something else'.

They ask for your loyality but offer none in return. A stab in the back of all loyal Diamond members. We'll pull the knife out and enjoy our last RCCL cruise in April. Hello Princess!
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Spuds
Does anyone know if Diamond Members will be allowed in the CL on cruises before July 1st -- on the Mariner? I know they are saying no after July 1st -- but I don't see them saying 'yes' before July 1st. They just say to call if you have questions about your benefits and are booked for 'before July 1st.' Sounds like it may not be access to the CL but 'something else'.

They ask for your loyality but offer none in return. A stab in the back of all loyal Diamond members. We'll pull the knife out and enjoy our last RCCL cruise in April. Hello Princess!
I believe that you will have access to the CL until July 1.

What a boneheaded move by RCI. In tough economic times you want to hang on to your customers, not alienate them (further, for some).
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Default In The Minority

I am not quite Diamond + yet, but will be soon. I do not have a problem with the upcoming lounge change. It means more when you reach a level that more than one third of the ship does not have. I know when we cruised with my Father and sister on occasion we would take them into the lounge and we should not have. It gets too crowded on occasions. Others probably do the same. With a smaller amount of people using the lounge it will become less crowded and more enjoyable to use. They should also add 50 to 100 free internet minutes for Diamond + members. Also, redo the coupon books so Diamond members have a few more perks and not combine the coupon book with Diamond + members. They should have their own book with more benifits including free laundry service a time or two. When you can get 2 credits for a 3 day cruise in a suite, as previously mentioned, it just does mean that much to reach Diamond. Just my thought. I am doing a 2 week cruise in September to Alaska and will not be able to use the lounge, but am taking the Oasis in December so will be available. After that will be Diamond +, so hopefully will not increase the number of cruises needed.
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Captain

I am still of the opinion that RCL doesn't make as much money off of repeat cruisers as it does off of new cruisers.

Repeats are less likely to buy pics, take the expensive excursion, go to the spa AGAIN, and know their way around a coupon book like no others. They know that onboard sales are ripoffs, and how to get a pricedrop faster than most TAs. And OBC? They know more about this than RCL! These are experienced bargain hunters! And I believe they spend less and less on board every time they cruise.

I also believe RCL knows this through tracking so this move was a calculated gamble maybe to get Diamonds to aspire to Diamond Plus and fast.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Passenger

What the hell is going on in the RCI offices - they really know how to p### loyal customers off.

jj.....
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover
I am still of the opinion that RCL doesn't make as much money off of repeat cruisers as it does off of new cruisers.

Repeats are less likely to buy pics, take the expensive excursion, go to the spa AGAIN, and know their way around a coupon book like no others. They know that onboard sales are ripoffs, and how to get a pricedrop faster than most TAs. And OBC? They know more about this than RCL! These are experienced bargain hunters! And I believe they spend less and less on board every time they cruise.

I also believe RCL knows this through tracking so this move was a calculated gamble maybe to get Diamonds to aspire to Diamond Plus and fast.
RCI may make less money per cruise on experienced cruisers (although we spend plenty of money onboard, I think we may be exceptions to the rule) but we cruise more that somebody who tries it once and never goes back. And in these tough times, I have to think that it's harder to get somebody to cruise for the first time than it is to get somebody back onboard.

These changes have been talked about for quite some time, and I know of several CCers who cruised like crazy to get to DP "in time." Do you think RCI may have planted that rumor in advance to boost sales? (asked rhetorically - I believe that the answer is yes)?
Old March 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterchick
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRover

RCI may make less money per cruise on experienced cruisers (although we spend plenty of money onboard, I think we may be exceptions to the rule) but we cruise more that somebody who tries it once and never goes back. And in these tough times, I have to think that it's harder to get somebody to cruise for the first time than it is to get somebody back onboard.

These changes have been talked about for quite some time, and I know of several CCers who cruised like crazy to get to DP "in time." Do you think RCI may have planted that rumor in advance to boost sales? (asked rhetorically - I believe that the answer is yes)?
Critterchick & WildRover - I'm being lazy now but I would like to point you to the positing I just made under the Commandos thread on here. It is only my opinion but I do believe the damage will be more widespread than they think.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

DW and I are 3 points away from D Plus. We did go into the CL from time to time, not everyday but we did use it. One more perk lost what's next?
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM
First Mate

i hear they are going to charge extra if you want a mattress....

and you have to pay to use a lifeboat in the "unlikely event" of an emergency.i THINK that lifejackets will remain free.....as long as you are at lesat Platinum.

And Explorer B2B Video:
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2
DW and I are 3 points away from D Plus. We did go into the CL from time to time, not everyday but we did use it. One more perk lost what's next?
Feel your pain, we just completed 21 cruise credits. On our last cruise we were asked to reuse our towels. I don't know what will be next, but we will be shopping around.
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
First Mate

reuse towels AND sheets...

on Exin Feb they changed the towels but in 12 nights we never got new sheets....a COUPLE new pillowcases, but they never changed both cases at once..........

And Explorer B2B Video:
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Familiar Face

I too have been loyal, I enjoyed the CL for the first time on Mariner this month. It has taken me 9 years to get to Diamond, now they throw the screws at me! RC is basically claiming it is due to overcrowding in the CL. On Mariner Feb 22 - Mar 1 the first two nights the CL was packed, after the 2nd night they moved the function to the Lotus Lounge, at no time did I see more than probably 40-50 persons in the Lotus Lounge and I realized this was a great perk! Shame on RC for giving and then taking, this is a great way to run loyalty off.