Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Passenger

Default Former Captain sues RCI - Monarch OS crew deaths !!

Watch the video - full story http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...ip-safety.html

The US Coast Guard inspected the Monarch of the Seas in San Diego just 4 days after the deadly accident and found deficiencies with temporary hoses used in semi-permanent repairs. Yet determined the vessel was in substantial compliance and could continue sailing.

Mr. Hickey says, “That does not sound sufficient, were talking about methane and hydrogen gas. Temporary fixes will not do.”

Royal Caribbean says, “All repairs were done in coordination… and with the approval of appropriate authorities.”

We asked the Coast Guard to explain how the Monarch was “considered safe” to sail using temporary repairs for an accident so serious it killed 3 and injured 19? The Coast Guard says they are still investigating, 4 years later and can’t comment.

jj.....
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Familiar Face

Oh, please. I watched the segment on TV on Thursday night. We sailed on Monarch the night of the accident. It was a tragic day. The Coast Guard and CDC cleared the ship for sailing, and we never felt endangered.

Disclaimer: I'm a Royal Champion.

First of all, this isn't news, at least according to my definition of it, which means it's a current event. The accident happened in 2005. The Staff Captain left RCI, whether under his own volition or by termination, shortly thereafter. He is suing the company for wrongful termination.

The Mr. Hickey you quote is the former Staff Captain's attorney. I think it would have been appropriate for you to have disclosed that fact here.

The article claims that the Captain was drinking and found dead in his cabin five months later. That Captain was not onboard the day of the accident, and his alleged drinking and death, by whatever cause, had nothing to do with it.

NBC intereviewd Vicki Freed in February of 2009 during the Mariner West Coast Premiere events. She didn't even work for RCI in 2005, and, as the travel agent liaison for the company, would hardly have been the appropriate representative to ask about the incident.

I know you'll look at my comments with a jaundiced eye because I'm an RC, but I fail to see the point of the story, other than to give some publicity to the Staff Captain and perhaps to taint the jury pool if the lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles County.

Oh, and Monarch sailed in LA for another 3 years without incident, other than the occasional whiff of sewage in Bolero's and in a few of the cabins. We never had an issue in our cabins in 20+ cruises after that date. And I don't glow in the dark or have any other scary health issues that could be traced to that incident.

I'm just saying...