Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Beginner

Default Analysis now bad due to Royal Champs???

Wow - Am I glad I found this site. I happened to find one of the non-deleted posts today on CC about the viral marketing and it is now making me wonder about the anaylsis I just did last night on my next cruise.

I am very anal when it comes to picking a cruise and always go overboard (no pun intended) when deciding which one to go on. I have been on about 14 with RCCL being my line of choice. Just got back from a 4 day w/ Carnival and for the money it was a good value.

Last night I went to CC member reviews and looked at all the ships I was considering for next winter ... I looked at 100 reviews each and counted how many times the ship got a '3' or less on Service and Dining which are the two top considerations for me. Yes I looked at 100 reviews each !! I added the two counts togethe to get:

Service Food Total

RCCL - Serenade 9 15 24
CCL - Freedom 8 17 25
CCL - Triumph 12 15 27
X - Summit 13 20 33
CCL - Victory 15 21 36
PCL - Crown 17 24 41
X - Solstice 17 25 42
NCL - Jewel 20 26 46
NCL - Pearl 17 30 47

After watching CNBC on the Pearl it looked interesting to me - a bit casual but thought I might give it try. After my analysis I am not so sure. But now I am thinking the RCCL reviews are tainted and not accurate and there are more 'false' positive reviews than there really should be?

Do folks this this is a good representation. Is there really that big of a gap between RCCL and NCL? And I was slightly surprised Carnival did better than X ....

In my eyes now that I know about the Royal Champs, alot more makes sence. I was questioning things after that poor poster who wanted to write the AG on the fuel supplements .... he was burned at the stake and all the arguements against him were so illogical .. (I did write the FL AG as I had a cruise effected). So now I am questioning the quantity and accuracy of the reviews on CC.

Any insights appreciated ....

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Captain

Hi Dave.
Welcome aboard!
Nice to see that another one "gets it".

Your problem is exactly what we have been trying to point out.

You can not use reviews at CC or any other review site to get an accurate picture of how lines rank against one another. There is no transparency. Buyer Beware.

Your ranking system is great but as the old saying goes: "Sh*t in, sh*t out".

Only you can decide if RCL is worth your money.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Passenger

Welcome A-board Dave !!

jj...
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Familiar Face

I confess that I don't understand your numbers, but I was an Italian lit major, not anything numerical.

Having said that, I NEVER rely on the numbers. I've seen people get them backwards and give the ship a 1 while raving about everything onboard. I think what a person writes is far more important than the numbers assigned to each category. What is a "5" to one person is a "3" to somebody else, and there's no good way to gauge which one is closer to me in preferences.

And I read the reviews with my usual cynical eye. If somebody is over the moon and not a single thing went astray, I'm happy they're so positive, but I also don't believe them. Same with the cruiser who couldn't get over a toilet being backed up for 20 minutes and their cruise was ruined for good. Ship happens.

I try to write balanced reviews. When I post them in the RCI boards, I am often picked apart by people who don't believe that Mariner can be crowded (she can be and is) or that the food in the MDR on Radiance sucks (it did).

BTW, I'm a Royal Champion. I like the RCI product but it is by no means perfect. I think it would do a grave disservice to folks like you to leave out the bad parts of any cruising experience.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Beginner

Dave, have you looked into Princess? We really did not like the NCL Pearl at all and as you saw if you watched Cruise, Inc. they are really into pushing fee-based activities which we totally understand now why they were not hardly any free activities during the day and just the 1 show at night. The service was bad and most of the free-style restaurants are fee-based at 25.00 a person. Add it up. I hope that I like Royal to add to our choices of cruises and we were hoping to do the same with NCL but after the Pearl it would have to be free for me to go on another NCL cruise.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Admiral

Dave I am not sure I am the person to ask but I liked the Pearl fine. I also liked Caribbean Princess. Both I liked better than Mariner of the Seas. Carnival Miracle I put about equal to Mariner of the Seas. What made it better was the better price.

However I did like HAL Westerdam and Celebrity Constellation better than any of these. Which goes to show I guess I am sort of a "old fogie" so I probably do not have the best advice!

I do hope to eventually to a RCI radiance class, I believe that class of ship I would prefer.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingAgain
Dave, have you looked into Princess? We really did not like the NCL Pearl at all and as you saw if you watched Cruise, Inc. they are really into pushing fee-based activities which we totally understand now why they were not hardly any free activities during the day and just the 1 show at night. The service was bad and most of the free-style restaurants are fee-based at 25.00 a person. Add it up. I hope that I like Royal to add to our choices of cruises and we were hoping to do the same with NCL but after the Pearl it would have to be free for me to go on another NCL cruise.
-this is too funny! I look at your list of ships and I see you cruised Caribbean Princess and liked it but you disliked the Pearl. I found them similar. although the CP had better pools.

Which just goes to show we are all different and all have different opinions, the OP's chart thingie is not worth much-even if it was not influenced by RC's, because even if 99.9 percent prefer another ship to the Pearl, it does not mean he will hate the Pearl. However, he could-who knows?

The Pearl, back in November, offered 2 shows , and the only activities I remember they charged for was bowling and the therapy pool. HAL Westerdam charged for the therapy poo and it was a much higher cost than the Pearl.

As far as the show lounge, the CP had such a small show lounge I WISHED they had offered 3 shows as we had to arrive 45 minutes early in order to have a seat.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have found - and I think the Cruise Inc show confirms, that the people who like Norwegian Pearl, and their other free-style ships, are the people who are willing to spend the extra money for the alternative dining, and appreciate the variety of cuisine onboard.

If you are looking for a replacement of the RCI experience, (pre-set dining times, daily buffet meals, etc) then I would suggest something more like Carnival or Princess megaships. Not to say anything bad about NCL - just to point out how they are different.

I think it is REALLY important to note that the basic cruise fare on most NCL ships right now are bargains, so you should be willing to spend more on board. However, some people will do what they normally do on other cruise lines when they get to NCL and really miss the point of how NCL is different in a good way

You are much more on your own on NCL, and have to make decisions (heaven forbid ) about discretionary spending onboard. You have many more options to make it a special cruise, but you can't sit back and just expect it to happen (like you can more easily on other cruise lines), you have to be proactive about creating a good cruise experience for you, and if you do then the options are more than most cruise ships.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did our first NCL cruise this December on the Gem. I am not a fan of freestyle cruisng, but it was XMas and my kids don't like traditional dining. We had an excellent cruise. I did feel it was very low key which was great for an XMas cruise.

Did open my eyes their are other experiences other than RCCL.