Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Beginner

Default BYOB on the ship?

Has anyone ever taken or attempted to take their own liquor on board? Our travel agent actually suggested we bring our own in our suitcases. I am very leary of this because the RCI guidelines explicitly prohibit bringing your own alcohol. I don't want to risk getting thrown off the ship over a bottle of wine! Any experiences with this?

Also, what about bringing liquor from the islands onto the ship? I know that they will check bottles and give them to you at the end of your trip. Do they search you every time you come on board and/or make you go through detectors?
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
First Mate

They scan all suitcases on arrival at the ship.
If they find liquor they will not throw you off the ship- they confiscate it and return it to you on the last night of the cruise.
As you come back onto the ship from ports you have to go through the same type of scanners/patdown as you do at airports.
Not to say people don't come up with some ingenious ways to smuggle it on but the policy is that way because they make their profits from services sold on board, not from your cruise fare.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: BYOB on the ship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis sue
Has anyone ever taken or attempted to take their own liquor on board? Our travel agent actually suggested we bring our own in our suitcases. I am very leary of this because the RCI guidelines explicitly prohibit bringing your own alcohol. I don't want to risk getting thrown off the ship over a bottle of wine! Any experiences with this?

Also, what about bringing liquor from the islands onto the ship? I know that they will check bottles and give them to you at the end of your trip. Do they search you every time you come on board and/or make you go through detectors?
Alexis-take your gambles. Never had an issue in +10 times bring bottles of wine and a case of beer> Just make sure you pack some cushion around bottles so they don't break. Or get the boxed wine if you are ok with that. from the island though is a different story,they are getting more strict and that one I don't think will work. Have seen people get nailed for that ...they just take the booze and return at the last night.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Captain

brew... How did you get a case of beer onboard?!! I need to know. I really need to know.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Passenger

I'd like to know too.