CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Ambassadors/Aqua Theater Experience (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/363151-royal-ambassadors-aqua-theater-experience.html)

FL_Cruiser64 April 3rd, 2009 09:36 PM

Royal Ambassadors/Aqua Theater Experience

I believe I dropped that designation before as a pre-RC possible designation. LOL

But finally they are here: the Royal Ambassadors. Weeeeeee....hahahaha
But this time the 'job' is of much less weird and 'secret' selection and rather clear in its job description: merely a thank you to TAs. LOL

The membership was given away at the end of the Aqua Theater Experience. Which brings me to a quick review.

The even was rather uneventful. A few dive shows, a trampoline show and some synchronized 'chicks'. LOL

I took some pics and video but not sure if they came out OK since the lighting wasn't the best.

It dragged on forever - too many speeches: Fain, Goldstein, Freed, Port Director, and the Broward tourism official.

The only interesting tid bit I got from those speeches was from the port director. The terminal being build is supposed to be able to hold 3000 passenger on the second floor. The goal is to reach a embarkation time frame from curbside to boarding of 15 minutes(!).

Oasis is also supposed to have disembarkation and embarkation at the same time.

:roll:

Tuesday I will see which pics came out OK to be uploaded.

Matelot April 3rd, 2009 09:50 PM

I'm glad I won't be at the airport at FLL when all those people get off at the same time :D

dirtgirl April 4th, 2009 02:27 AM

Re: Royal Ambassadors/Aqua Theater Experience

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64
I believe I dropped that designation before as a pre-RC possible designation. LOL

But this time the 'job' is of much less weird and 'secret' selection and rather clear in its job description: merely a thank you to TAs. LOL

The membership was given away at the end of the Aqua Theater Experience. Which brings me to a quick review.

The even was rather uneventful. A few dive shows, a trampoline show and some synchronized 'chicks'. LOL

I took some pics and video but not sure if they came out OK since the lighting wasn't the best.

It dragged on forever - too many speeches: Fain, Goldstein, Freed, Port Director, and the Broward tourism official.

The only interesting tid bit I got from those speeches was from the port director. The terminal being build is supposed to be able to hold 3000 passenger on the second floor. The goal is to reach a embarkation time frame from curbside to boarding of 15 minutes(!).

Chicks??? :shock: :wink:

Royalchump April 4th, 2009 07:35 PM

Thanks for the update, I bet if the RC were invitied there would be a completely different spin.

Donna April 4th, 2009 07:46 PM

Can't wait to see the pics. I actually got an e-mail to book Allure of the Seas....Have to see how this Oasis is, but I get it will be a wonderful cruise expierence.

WildRover April 4th, 2009 07:59 PM

A terminal bldg that holds 3000 but a ship that is disembarking 5000 and embarking 5000 more all at the same time? I am no math whiz but I think there might be a problem. Or is this that new math I used to hear so much about?

God help Orlando airport and those poor locals that actually use the highway to get someplace other than Port Canaveral.

RCL might want to call Disney to get some tips on crowd control and how to move huge amts of people effeceintly.

Manuel April 5th, 2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildRover
A terminal bldg that holds 3000 but a ship that is disembarking 5000 and embarking 5000 more all at the same time? I am no math whiz but I think there might be a problem. Or is this that new math I used to hear so much about?

God help Orlando airport and those poor locals that actually use the highway to get someplace other than Port Canaveral.

RCL might want to call Disney to get some tips on crowd control and how to move huge amts of people effeceintly.

Last time I cruised there were SEVERAL ships in the harbor. They left the port in the same afternoon and there was no chaos. We stayed at a hotel for a couple of days pre-cruise and and there people there that were cruising on different cruise lines. The locals handled it very well and apreciated our business.

TM

Irish Girl April 5th, 2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildRover

There won't be 5000 people getting on or off at the same time. It's always over a period of a few hours so I don't see a problem. If they do it like Celebrity did with the Solstice, you will be surprised at how fast embarkation and debarkation is. I was on the ship within 10 minutes of arrival. There were 60 agents to check people in.

Debarkation was a breeze. My number was 19 and we walked off at 9:00 am. Groups were small, luggage was arranged by number. We got to the Ft. Lauderdale airport by 9:20.

Oasis is sailing from Port Everglades which is a long way from Orlando and Port Canaveral. You can see all the ships from the Ft. Lauderdale airport, it's only about a mile from the port.

glgolfer April 6th, 2009 01:17 PM

aqua theater media event in fll. 2 nights in an embassy suites plus food = $700+.
600 mile round trip.
event = herded through one building for drinks and finger food. through another building to finally around the pool.
6 speeches of varying lengths taking up 30+ minutes.
10 minutes of diving and syncronized swimming.
bus back to the hotel.

oh, almost forgot, we got a tote bag with a tshirt declaring us ambassadors of rci and an ambassadors pin. both saying we're travel agents.

additional comments - too many people, too small a space, too much bs and i forgot that we got a small round lollipop each. a really nice payoff.

sd2009 April 6th, 2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matelot
I'm glad I won't be at the airport at FLL when all those people get off at the same time :D

A busy day at FLL is about 35K cruise pax so this won't really have that sort of effect.

FL_Cruiser64 April 6th, 2009 01:56 PM

[quote="Charlesincharge"][quote="FL_Cruiser64"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by glgolfer
Quote:

Originally Posted by Royalchump
Take a hike dude.
I think I mentioned The RA announcement.

Did'n't know I have to mention a crappy T-Shirt, a little pin thingy and a tote bag which is ugly as hell and will end up in the attic. It was free stuff and that's what it looked like. I focused on the event and not what I can get out of these events which is essentially bragging.

How much was all that worth? The same T-Shirt, bag and pin was handed out the next day at the booth at the trade show- freely to anybody walking up.

Now do I have to list all the free stuff I got at the trade show as well?
Want me to tell you the color underwear I was wearing?

Your comment
Quote:

oliver forgot that big freebie. but he probably didn't take the lollipop because of his high moral standards unlike us shills for rci.
is a-typical of some of the RCs. Trash talk.

And I didn't get a lollipop. I don't like lollipops.

Not what I heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :wink:

Huh?

FL_Cruiser64 April 6th, 2009 02:18 PM

Re: Royal Ambassadors/Aqua Theater Experience

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd2009
Quote:

Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64

Yours is quite the balancing act. You berated the RCs for bragging about their invites and yet you mentioned this invite a number of times and then rushed back not only to say that you went but also to say you weren't impressed. Seems like you're playing it both ways, Oliver.

Obviously the three of you just came over here to turn CM into CC. I am delighted to see that. Not that you want to turn CM into CC but the way you have been 'operating' on CC with your RC gang.

I really hope that Kuki and Paul leave this thread standing as is.

Back to subject: I made clear that the invitation was mainly part of cruise3sixty which was CLIA's trade show, conference and seminar days which ended today. While it was not an open to the public event (neither was cruise3sixty) it was not an exclusive event. Though I was surprised to see that RCs were invited. After all, these type of things are for sales purposes.

For me, and other cruise consultants and travel agents this invitation was 'not' a special invitation. RCI send an e-mail out to most conference participants and it was a first-come-first-serve type of thing.

I confirmed that invitation since I know that in my circle of friends and family members as well as on CM there are people interested in Oasis. I also made it clear that I will 'suffer' through the event for others BEFORE I even went there.

But it must have gone totally past you. If you read, read everything. Not just what fits your purposes.

It is truly sad that you and others not only carry that attitude at CC but also carry it on other sites like CM and CruiseTalk.

You all could learn a lot from PH8 about social etiquette. While she is not my favorite (and I am not hers) I was impressed that she is actually able to 'cross' the line of differences and said 'hi' to me.

glgolfer April 6th, 2009 03:20 PM

if i had ever found you in all that mess, i would have said hi, too. i have nothing against you personally as you seem to have against the rc. i was just pulling your chain about the lollipop and injecting a little humor. i don't think either one of us can be bought for a lollipop or a teeshirt. and i hope everyone here appreciates your sacrifice.
enjoyed your reaction to my post though.
and i wasn't replying to anything you said, just countering the bias represented by the post i did reply to.

i really enjoyed your take a hike dude comment. i haven't been banned here, so i think i'll stay a while and we'll see who is the most helpful and honest in answering questions.

just a thought, you're allowed to post anything, but i'm not unless i agree with you. you're allowed to offend me, but i'm not allowed to offend you. interesting concept that seems to be what is taught on most college campuses today. i'll let the folks here judge.

glgolfer April 6th, 2009 04:20 PM

ah, that's what's wrong. I thought i was complimenting you on your high morals and you took it as a nasty attack. i was going to say i apologize for thinking you had high morals but that might upset you.

a sense of humor goes a long way toward making life easier and opening a reasonable discourse.

after 67 years and 30+ working for the government, i learned that a long time ago.

and i'm still trying to keep mine even though i just learned i have diabetes and gout to go along with arthritis.

reminds me of when i quit smoking and a friend told me i had the patience of a pregnant rattlesnake. that's still a possibility.

felix_the_cat April 6th, 2009 04:57 PM

For the record, I believe the invitation was sent to all TA's and Consultants. I know I recieved one. Even though I was going to be in Florida this weekend I didn't go. It wouldn't have left me with any time to visit with the friends we were down there to see.

I don't care who gets a T-shirt, lolly or anything else. I ask one thing of all of you, be honest.

You can say to me :I was there, and this is what I thought of it.............

I have all the respect in the world for that. What I don't have respect for is the sniping and arguing that is constantly going on. I have no respect for sneaky people.

I am interested in what Oliver say and heard. I need to have second hand information as I can't afford to go to these things myself. I'm also interested in what some of the honest RC's saw for the same reason. JUST BE HONEST ABOUT IT.

glgolfer April 6th, 2009 05:49 PM

did you read what i said about it?

my comments indicated it wasn't worth it.
my wife and i were curious how much rci spent on the evet in the midst of all their cutbacks. it was a lot of $$$ just to pump up travel agents and consultants.
i got so fed up, i got up and headed out to be first on a bus to get the H back to the motel.

btw, the why not campaign sucks. if i had heard why not one more time there i would have done something obscene.

and i wasn't bragging about the shirt, pin, tote bag and lollipop. just stating what rci gave away so everyone knew how cheap they were.

PH8 April 6th, 2009 05:53 PM

another RC speaks up

Ok, my ears were ringing.......heard my name mentioned so figured I'd post my two cents......

I was indeed invited to the "event" as a RC,Im sure......it was never in writing ,but Im sure thats why.

My husband and I arrived to the event early enough to get to enjoy some of the food and drink.That is when we ran into FLCruiser and amazingly enough,it was all very cordial.But come on,would anyone think we would be casting harsh words there??? I think we are too civil to do that(well, at least in person :wink: We save that stuff for online posting).

The event itself was just as the others described.Displays,food,drink,games,shows,speeches ,etc.........and did I mention HOT and really HUMID????????? It was unbearable at times.Maybe if one was dressed in shorts,it wouldn't had been so bad,but seeing as the event started at 8pm,we tended to dress up a bit more.

The gifts we got may not be exactly what we wanted,but hey,we didn't have to get anything,did we?? I plan on giving my stuff to a TA.I have no need to wear a Tshirt that says TRAVEL AGENT on the back. :shock: (but the lollipos were good--hehe)

So there you have it,the opinion of yet another :-P :-P RC!!

Paul Motter April 6th, 2009 05:56 PM

Our approach here is that we really try not to offend people. Sometimes someone says something that someone else gets offended at. It is not intended to insult by the first party, but it happens.

At that point we like to invoke the old "stop - think - defuse" rule. Kind of like those old commercials trying to stop gang violence.

If someone gets overly offended by a post where you did not mean to offend, please just say "sorry, i didn't mean it that way" and drop it.

If you get offended by something someone says, then we also urge you to say "I am sorry old chum, but I don't believe I fully grasp your meaning, Are you intending to imply some sort of malfeasance on my part? because If I am indeed guilty of such a lapse in ettiquette then I must beg your indulgence as i apologize profusely."

Or something else equally civilized and politically correct. The best way to win points online is to be humble, and knowlegable and helpful at the same time. The fastest way to lose points is to demand respect.

The truth is we don't keep score here for anything. We all try to help. Im very bad at names so I will never remember if you are more helpfuul than someone else. personally, I judge comments, not people. I don't even notice who says them most of the time.

I have edited this post to try to keep it on topic.

Paul Motter April 6th, 2009 06:03 PM

By the way - i would REALLY like to hear the details about this event. I didn't even hear about it.

glgolfer April 6th, 2009 06:16 PM

It was intrended to hype the aqua theater on the oasis. it was at the international swimming hall of fame in fort lauderdale for about 2 hours on 2 april.

there were hundreds of travel agents and media there with food and drink tables set up in one of the halls. too many people and not enough space.
there was enough bleacher space at the pool for everyone.
there was 30-45 minutes of speeches and 10 minutes of diving and swimming show intended to give a taste of what would be seen onboard.

PH8 April 6th, 2009 06:29 PM

Details from me........the others can add their thoughts.

Ok, first of all it was held at the Swimming Hall of Fame in Ft Lauderdale........

As we walked in, that room was where the buffet and drinks were(even though other areas had drinks too)...........the sponser of the drinks were Barefoot Bay wine...........nothing like wine served in plastic cups..... :roll: but hey,if its free,its for me.....hahah

Lots of assorted finger foods and desserts(which started melting cuz of the heat)........not sure if they had utensils(I know we didnt have any.well, except for chopsticks for the sushi)

In that room, they had poster sized displays of the different areas of the ship........nothing we really hadnt seen before......I dont think--didnt really look at them too much............by this time, ALOT and I mean ALOT of people started piling in........

We left that room and headed outside.They played games out there........versions of Simon Says(RCCL says)..........Name that Tune(Name that ship),a ball crawl game and others.......

Then onto the pool area............we were all seated on the bleachers to watch the show.............first came the speeches by Richard Fain,Adam Goldstein and the others FLCruiser mentioned)..........they talked about the captain(Bill Wright),the hotel director(Francois Wache),etc......

Next was the show...trampolining,divers,synchronized swimmers.........

and during all this if they flashed the words WHY NOT on the overhead screens, we had to yell it out too............. :roll:

To tell the truth, at the point,I couldnt take the heat anymore and we headed out...........

I think between all the posts of those there,this covers it all..............it really was nothing spectacular............nothing at all like the NYC event was..................

Oh yea and the infamous super big model of the ship was not there.......its in the RCCL headquarters in Miami.......we were hoping to see it..

felix_the_cat April 6th, 2009 06:40 PM

Even though I was in fort Lauderdale and Miami this weekend you all make me very happy I didn't try to take this in. LOL

Question about the Tshirt.......was it in big multi colours and had TRAVEL AGENT on the back????

I stayed at the Ramada Thursday night and there was someone walking around with this on. I said to my hubby - that must be as TA taking a group and needs to wear something so no one can lose her. :D

glgolfer April 6th, 2009 07:02 PM

that's the shirt. i'm like ph and going to give them to a ta friend along with the pins. as we do like lollipops, we'll keep those.

Royalchump April 6th, 2009 07:13 PM

Thank you for your updates. Sounds like RCCL is continuing to have marketing issues. I feel it is the right thing to educate the travel agents since 80% of booking are coming via agents. Since travel agents get commissions from all lines they are vested to keep their customers happy.

cruisermeg April 6th, 2009 07:53 PM

ah.....it is STILL too many friggin people for me!......

the aquathinggie sounds cool, but really i am STILL not convinced that the behemoth will float (even tho' they ALLEGEDLY 'floated it out'!!)

sorry.....sinus infection humor is kinda weird! :-P

katlady April 6th, 2009 08:15 PM

I have a question. This may sound dumb because I'm not a TA and have never been to this event. Was Oasis there? Where you on the ship looking at the "Aqua theater" ? If the ship wasn't there was the "aqua theater" a replica of what the "Aqua Theater" will be? Also will the theater be used for swimming during the day? Is RCL going to charge for the shows or are they including in the fare price?

I'm like most people posting here we are wondering about Oasis. Will I cruise her? Probably not she is in Florida and I'm in California. So on top of the per person cost of the cruise I would have to pay airfare. :(

Sanjoseca April 6th, 2009 08:18 PM

Uh.......I'd like a free T shirt.....I'm not proud. :roll:

felix_the_cat April 6th, 2009 08:55 PM

I wouldn't wear one of those things. It was like a big neon sign. I also don't feel it necessary to wear a HUGE TRAVEL AGENT on my back.

Sanjoseca April 6th, 2009 09:05 PM

OK, I'll take the other free gift that was given away....like I said, I'm not proud.....something about a gift in a mouth on a horse. LOL

WildRover April 6th, 2009 09:07 PM

Thank you Paul.
If I had a Tshirt, I'd give it to you!
:D