Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Passenger

Default Can I expect a price drop ever?

We booked FOS 15 months ago and I check each day to see if the price has dropped for our Sailing on Sept6, 2009. No such luck it has only gone up. We paind $ 859.00pp for a E1 Balcony room now the price is $1199.00 for the same room. What theheck is going on? Can we expect a price drop any time soon? I see all the other sailings have gone downand I thought Hurricane season would be significantly cheaper than any other time of year. Wow am I confused.
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Price drops are not mandatory nor do they happen particularly frequently. It may or may not happen for you. It depends on many factors.

You are booked just as the kids are going back to school so that could help, but then again how booked is your ship? How many other categories are open? Have you checked categories about yours to see if they are cheaper? How many people are in your cabin>

When is your final payment date? If there are going to be price drops they willl normally be after final payment as peope cancel/drop their bookings.

As you say your sailing has gone up in price it sounds like it is selling well at this point and if it continues on this way there will not be a price reduction.

BTW - you sound like you think price drops should be automatic - they arn't. One should always book at a level/price they are happy with and if there is a reduction after than - consider it gravy.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Hi Debs!

Just continue to watch the rate. I was on the Liberty last Sept. the same time frame first week in Sept. and had 3 price drops all within weeks prior to sail.

$859. for a E1 sounds pretty good. Keep an eye on available cabins. If there are many cabins still available you have a good chance of a price drop.

Good Luck!!

Enjoy! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Captain

$859 is a lot less than what I am paying for my cruise.
If your cruise is selling well, then a price drop is unlikely. They'll only lower the price to fill the empty cabins.

But also, RCL management has made it known that they would rather sail w/ empty cabins than drop prices, so keep checking but don't be surprised if the price doesn't drop.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I am cruising on Voyager of the Seas in May and my price has just dropped. So maybe the closer you get to sailing, u will see a price drop; or if your cruise is popular and sells out then u may not see a price drop
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Default You have Misunderstood Felix the Cat

Felix the Cat, I think you have totally misunderstood. I do not expect Anything...I was simply asking a valid question as I have seen many price drops that past several weeks. I don't expect something for nothing and I am very happy with the cabin and thr price that I got. But, be serious everyone likes a surprise and more for their money especially in todays economy. We all work very hard for our money and a little BONUS sure helps. If the price drops this allows me more money to spend on other things.

So it was not necesary to be so rude in your response. Get a grip and be nice.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: You have Misunderstood Felix the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs123
Felix the Cat, I think you have totally misunderstood. I do not expect Anything...I was simply asking a valid question as I have seen many price drops that past several weeks. I don't expect something for nothing and I am very happy with the cabin and thr price that I got. But, be serious everyone likes a surprise and more for their money especially in todays economy. We all work very hard for our money and a little BONUS sure helps. If the price drops this allows me more money to spend on other things.

So it was not necesary to be so rude in your response. Get a grip and be nice.
I wasn't being rude - I was answering your question. It was a legitimate question. However you did sound like you expected to get a price drop as a matter of course. When people expect that it is very hard on them if it doesn't happen.

I would also be inclined to think you may get one after final payment, however you are on a popular ship and therefore that plays into it as well. I also gave you some advise on what to look for as well.

I am alway looking for price drops - for myself and my clients. However as I said, I always book the lowest which is always a balcony, that I'm happy with and when I do get a reduction or there is a higher cat. that ends up cheaper I move or ask for the reduction.

BTW - I've got lots of gravy on our last couple of cruises so I hope you do too.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
First Mate

We got two price drops on our Freedom cruise, one before and one after final payment. I saw another price drop but when I called on that one I had not noticed there was a disclaimer * for new booking only, or I would have got three! Keep checking
Ours was in school vacation time, which surprised me, didn't expect one at all- but I always check.
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We once booked the Jewel on a repo from Boston..booked the hump at just over 1000.....and watched it climb through the roof, to over 2,000!! Some itins, just soar, while others take a nose dive..keep checking, I hope you do get i surprise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Passenger

If I bought from a travel agent and the price went down then do you go thru the agent or from rcl?
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Passenger

we are sailing next week we booked our cruise in feb and were suprised the price dropped over 200 each but kept watching and then it went back up alot more because they started selling out.like all the others said just watch and hope
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Captain

If you booked through a travel agent, you have to go through them to get the price drop. If you booked directly w/ RCL, you can contact them to have your booking price adjusted.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A

How is everyone checking to see if there is a decrease?? I go on the RCCL website for my exact cruise but I was wondering where you all check??? Maybe there is some place I am not looking and I cannot call my TA everyday.

Thanks,

Linda A
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda A
How is everyone checking to see if there is a decrease?? I go on the RCCL website for my exact cruise but I was wondering where you all check??? Maybe there is some place I am not looking and I cannot call my TA everyday.

Thanks,

Linda A
Just go to the website,start to make a reservation for the exact type of cabin you have and check the price.
If it is lower then make that call!
Check also at 70 days before your sailing, that will be final payment day and if there are cancellations it is possible they will adjust prices then if they are not booked to capacity.