Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Default RCL vs Carnival explain the differences

Thus far I have only cruised with Carnival and Costa. I'm curious how RCL compares. The ships sure look cooler, prices are higher and they don't have self serve laundry which I like on trips of 7 or more days. What about food, age groups, shows, adult only areas, shore excursions, etc?
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: RCL vs Carnival explain the differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Thus far I have only cruised with Carnival and Costa. I'm curious how RCL compares. The ships sure look cooler, prices are higher and they don't have self serve laundry which I like on trips of 7 or more days. What about food, age groups, shows, adult only areas, shore excursions, etc?
I have sailed on far more RCL ships and only 1 Carnival ship but I can tell you I liked the food better on Carnival. I found the Carnival ship aggravating because we couldn't get around as easy as we were used to. I didn't like the buffett on the Carnival ship. The Centrum is much nicer on the RCL ships.

I too like the self serve laundry on Carnival and Princess. Demographics on RCL seem to be about the same as Carnval - they are trying to attract the family crowd for sure.

I don't do any ship excursions as I find them a total and complete rip-of.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I found the buffet on Carnival to always have a line going, where on Royal Caribbean, never had to wait. I think the layout of the buffet on Royal Caribbean is much nicer with the different food stations and same with the beverages. Seems the service level was also a lot better. Even on the huge ships, you don't feel that crowded feeling, especially when in port, waiiting in lines to get off, found that all too often on Carnival. I loved the food on both and give a high mark to the entertainment on Royal Caribbean again.

A lot depends on what you are looking for in a cruise, different strokes for different folks. You never know until you try them..

Happy Cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM
First Mate

We did our first Royal cruise this past November after being on several Carnival cruises.
First let me agree... the absence of a self laundry didn't thrill me.
We found that the food on both lines were basically the same level.
The elegance of the ship itself was far superior on Royal as was the service and level of entertainment with one rather BIG drawback.
Royal didn't have the midnight adult comedy show each night like Carnival did and we really missed that.

We believe Royal was a better cruise experience overall and worth the difference in price.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Suz
We did our first Royal cruise this past November after being on several Carnival cruises.
First let me agree... the absence of a self laundry didn't thrill me.
We found that the food on both lines were basically the same level.
The elegance of the ship itself was far superior on Royal as was the service and level of entertainment with one rather BIG drawback.
Royal didn't have the midnight adult comedy show each night like Carnival did and we really missed that.

We believe Royal was a better cruise experience overall and worth the difference in price.

The self service laundry(or lack there of) doesn't bother me. Who want to spend time in a laundry mat when on vacation? I did love the midnight comedy shows on Carnival, I went with low expectations and ended up laughing my @#$ off!!!!

How many midnite shows should I expect on RCI on a nine nighter?

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas April, 2009
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Royal does have the adult game "Quest", hope you didn't miss that :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
First Mate

Quest was amazing... but only ONE late night adult comedy show on a 7 night cruise was a let down.

2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Default DIFFERENT!

Good question, we have been on both Princess and RCCL and then Carnival. Carnival is different and I am hard pressed to explain why. I guess for me it was a feeling not sure how else to describe it. We had fun and enjoyed the people we met but it was different. Mike
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have sailed both and royal hands down has the better ships. One thing I liked better about carnival was that at night time the always had music going on the pool deck and you could sit out there have a drink and enjoy the music instead of being in a lounge. Also on carnival they had better food to choose from at non-dining times. Royal sandwiches and pizza in the promenade was only okay and if you wanted a burger or something you had to pay at johnny rockets. I liked how carnival almost always had something on the buffet or you could get a burger whenever with out paying. On royal the promenade area is awesome and they do a lot of fun things there. Plus if you want to enjoy your coffee or just pass some time that is a great place to do it.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Passenger

We have only cruised Carnival (third cruise in more 4 days) and there is no comparison with the US Coast Guard Cutter Basswood back in the early 70s. As far as Im concerned:CARNIVAL ROCKS!!!

Always forward never straight.
2009 Carnival Splendor: Mex Riv 4/19/09
2007 Carnival Victory: W. Caribean
2006 Carnival Pride: Mexican Riviera
1971-72 USCG Cutter Basswood: Guam/Marianas
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've sailed quite a few ships from both RCI and Carnival.

Royal Caribbean ships are most aesthetically pleasing for sure, and the layouts are excellent as well. I think the pool areas on Voyager class ships are undersized for the passenger loads.

On Carnival my favorites are the Spirit Class ships... as far as layout.

So design and decorator issues vary depending on which ships you're look at.

Other than those I think both lines offer a similar enough experience that I don't see any valid reason to pay more to sail an RCI ship. I think food is better on Canival, and entertainment is similar enough to be a wash bascially.

Carnival cabins are larger, RCI cabins are "prettier".

If I'm deciding between the two, price would probably be my deciding factor.
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:21 AM
First Mate

I've sailed on Carnival once and it could have been the grossest experience. Think 1989 neon lighting; poor ship layout - can't walk from one side of the ship to the other without going up one deck down two decks; who ever designed their ships must have loved zig-saw puzzles; food quality wasn't very exciting, no innovative activities (e.g., ice skating, rock climbing, surfing); tons of intoxicated people. I will say that my experience was several years back on the Imagination; perhaps they've stepped their game up on some newer ships.

I put your choice to what hotel you would generally stay in on a land based vacation The Westin or The Holiday Inn? Both have rooms and pool; but their are obvious difference in the class of establishment and general population of people who will frequent each place. Honestly, if you've only sailed on Carnival you'd believe it's the best thing since sliced bread becauses cruises in general are amazing; however, if you sail with Royal you'll see the finer touches on things and get the "wow" experience from their ships. Another good indication is Carnival's commericals; a dude in a track suit running around the ship....enough said.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Admiral

Showcat everyone will have their opinion on the two cruiselines. Maybe you should just try it out and see for yourself. Worse thing would be is you are not crazy about Royal and won't cruise with them again or might enjoy it and you can cruise in the future with both lines.

I've only been on one Carnival so I can't compare much. Royal has the nicer ships Carnival has the better food. Royal usually cost more.
However my Royal Liberty cruise is costing me the same amount like my Carnival Liberty cruise. If you are flexible with dates and look good you can find some good deals.

I'm alittle nervous about going back on Carnival however like one of my good friends here on CM told me "cruises are like pizza they are all good just some are alittle better then others".

Enjoy whichever you pick! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
...like one of my good friends here on CM told me "cruises are like pizza they are all good just some are a little better then others".
You KNOW you left something out of that quote !!!!!!!!
It's ok, we forgive you

2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Beginner

I'm a RCCL fan, but there are real differences.

1. Decor. Carnival is more Las Vegas glitz. RCCL is more Hilton convention hotel.

2. Food. Carnival's food is definately better. And I think there is a bit more of it.

3. Activities. Carnival always has several activities going on at the same time. RCCL tends to have some lull periods in the daily planner. On the other hand, carnival never seems to change it's shows or activities. If you take 2 Carnival cruises within 12 months of each other, you always seem to have the same production shows, contests, etc.

4. Layout. RCCL wins hands down. Carnival ship layouts are old school now.

5. Staff. Carnival is the winner. On Carnival ships I never see the cabin stewards equipment left in the hallways. On Carnival ships I've al never
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Passenger

I've sailed both lines also and while I believe that Royal used to be the 'better' (Target vs Walmart) of the two back in the day, Carnival has come up a lot.

I'm loyal to royal and almost diamond (love the perks for loyalty), though I'm also working my way up to carnival platinum.

Carnival
1) cheaper, so you have more young party crowd that can easily afford to go
2) ships more vegas style (glass, brass)
3) food & service was incredible on my last few (the ones before that I can't recall) *
4) Shuts pool at 10 - ugh!
5) pools are small and no way to swim laps (slide takes up 1/2 the pool)
6) activity participants seemed to get champagne a lot
7) have to play hide and seek to find your pics
8) rooms are bigger
9) everyone gets a robe in the room to use
10) bathroom FREE amenities
11) always has lobster one night
12) Dinner menu had more options

Royal
1) possibly classier crowd, those that can and don't mind paying more
2) ships more glamorous (oak, marble)
3) food was not good on the last one that I did *
4) leaves pools open ALL night - yea - midnight swim!
5) pools are nice sized and you CAN swim laps
6) activity participants generally got worthless ship on stick
7) had face recognition software so that your pics were in YOUR folder - not more hide & seek
8) rooms are smaller
9) only platinum and above get robes in the room
10) past guests get coupon book and a free gift
11) I've heard does not have lobster on shorter cruises
12) Not a lot of choices at dinner
13) Got to have the QUEST game in my life!

* Don't recall all the cruises, but here are some recent ones:
Sensation Feb 07 - food to dye for / Fascination in Dec 08, food was good/great. Mariner Sept 08 food good/awful (especially the coffee) / Monarch this weekend - TBD

Fantasy 9/11/94 Freeport Nassau
Fascination 9/10/01 KW Cozumel
Imagination 9/12/02 KW Cozumel
Soverign 9/11/03 Coco Nassau
Enchantment 12/16/04 KW Cozumel
Soverign 9/23/05 Coco Nassau
Soverign 1/20/06 Coco Nassau
Navigator 9/16/06 Labade Ocho Rios George Town Cozumel
Enchantment 9/6/07 KW Cozumel
Sensation 2/21/08 Nassau
Mariner 9/14/08 Coco St. Thomas St. Maarten
Fascination 12/4/08 Freeport Nassau
Monarch 4/17/09 Coco Nassau
Monarch 9/18/09 Coco Nassau
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
First Mate

We booked suites on Royal and had robes in our cabins. It was our first cruise with them.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am a RCL Diamond member AND a CCL Platinum member.
The passengers are EXACTLY the same on both lines.
Older ships, Carnival's are better, not prettier, better. Larger rooms , better promenade. Newer ships, RCL's are better. CCL's are all larger versions of Fantasy class. Not as spectacular as Voyager class but a workable design and HUNDREDS of millions cheaper to build.
Service, the same. Differences ship to ship are greater than line to line.
Food, again some differences ship to ship, but line to line, the norm is:
Dining room, Carnival better, a little, but the gap widens.
Buffets, RCL better on serving line fare. Carnival MUCH better on MANY "made too order" choices.
Beef dishes not remarkable on either line until one tries Carnival's Supper Club steaks. A QUANTUM LEAP above RCL's Chops. RCL not EVEN in the running there.
Price, usually in Carnival's favor, sometimes dramatically in CCL's favor.
When RCL has the right itinerary, we sail them. Same itinerary, we do Carnival or Princess.
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember
I've sailed on Carnival once and it could have been the grossest experience. Think 1989 neon lighting; poor ship layout - can't walk from one side of the ship to the other without going up one deck down two decks; who ever designed their ships must have loved zig-saw puzzles; food quality wasn't very exciting, no innovative activities (e.g., ice skating, rock climbing, surfing); tons of intoxicated people. I will say that my experience was several years back on the Imagination; perhaps they've stepped their game up on some newer ships.

I put your choice to what hotel you would generally stay in on a land based vacation The Westin or The Holiday Inn? Both have rooms and pool; but their are obvious difference in the class of establishment and general population of people who will frequent each place. Honestly, if you've only sailed on Carnival you'd believe it's the best thing since sliced bread becauses cruises in general are amazing; however, if you sail with Royal you'll see the finer touches on things and get the "wow" experience from their ships. Another good indication is Carnival's commericals; a dude in a track suit running around the ship....enough said.
See now this is my pet peeve. My last cruise on RCL was in 1994 so my information is as unimportant and useless as yours is about Carnival. Imagination is a fanasty class ship and one of the older ships in the fleet. However, since your cruise the Imagination has gone into to dry dock. So your information on the ship's design may no longer be up to date. I would not say my sailing the "Viking serenade" on a 4 day cruise in 94 gives you any idea of what the Freedom of the Seas is like. I had a porthole room, it was very small.

My last cruise was on the Carnival Freedom this is a newer, nice ship, but like all Carnival ships it has an over the top design. I love it, others may not. The food was overall very good. However, don't get the diet pumpkin pie (horrible), do try the Chocolate Melting Cake (so good). The supper club was amazing. I could cut my steak with a butter knife. If you are cruising out of the West Coast (California), than Carnival has the most choices (La Paz and Acapulco) and newest ships (Splendor just started sailing 7 days to the Mexican Riveria). If you are cruising out of Florida than RCL has the bigger ships with more stuff like the rock climbing wall, flowrider, ice rink etc. Not all RCL ships have these so know your ship before booking.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Admiral

I would agree with most posts. The newer mega ships from RCCL top the list for all cruise categories (activities, layout, staff, etc) I would however disagree a bit about saying the passengers are exactly the same-I think Carnival's are a bit younger and more party oriented. I prefer RCCL but as I have always said, with Carnival you get more "bang for your buck" as far as cabins go. (Also the pizza is superior on CCL:.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Captain

I think, also, that you have to factor in the recent reductions in loyalty perks by RCL.
They have made a lot of changes in the past 6 months or so.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
I would agree with most posts. The newer mega ships from RCCL top the list for all cruise categories (activities, layout, staff, etc) I would however disagree a bit about saying the passengers are exactly the same-I think Carnival's are a bit younger and more party oriented. I prefer RCCL but as I have always said, with Carnival you get more "bang for your buck" as far as cabins go. (Also the pizza is superior on CCL:.
Thank you as a regular Carnival cruiser I prefer the terms you have used. I do like to have fun and I like to think I'm young. The calendar is trying to prove me wrong. These terms are better then "tons of intoxicated people" and that RCL has "possibly classier crowd." I'm full of class and rarely walk around the ship intoxicated (maybe a little buzzed but not fall down drunk). Someone could misunderstand your meaning when you use these terms.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral

I have to disagree with the specialty restaurant onboard Royal Caribbean...Had excellent filet at Chops, the entire meal was outstanding.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I have to disagree with the specialty restaurant onboard Royal Caribbean...Had excellent filet at Chops, the entire meal was outstanding.
The statement was that Carnival Supper Club steaks are a QUANTUM LEAP ahead of RCL's Chops offerings. AND THEY ARE!!!!!! I did not say Chops was bad, I said the aren't in the running. Chops uses 'market grade' steaks. The same meat you can buy in your local supermarket which is USDA CHOICE or USDA SELECT beef. Terms like "Black Angus" are meaningless, that's the breed, not the grade. You or Chops can do a good job with this meat at home on your grille. What you cannot buy at your local supermarket is USDA PRIME GRADE beef. ALL OF IT GOES TO RESTAURANT SUPPLY. And its price is more than double the price of CHOICE meat. Carnival's Supper Clubs use USDA PRIME GRADE beef and it is also "aged," just like an upscale land steakhouse.
To say Peter Luger's is 4 times better than Outback, is not saying Outback is bad. Its only saying Luger's is better.. Chops would compare with Outback. Carnival's Supper Clubs would not come near equaling Peter Luger's, but would be more than 2 times better than Chops or Outback.