Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
First Mate

Default Diamond Members - New Lounge Access

Looks like the line heard loud and clear that Diamond members were disappointed in the change in policy. I believe there updates appear to be fair and reasonable given the circumstances. Kootos to Royal Caribbean.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/...es_update.html
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I actually don't think there would have been near "the uproar" to the cutbacks in the C&A programs if not for all the PR miscues that proceeded it.

The cumulative effect is what pushed it over the top.

I think it naive to believe that any of this will push RCI to bankruptcy. Though I do think that Mr. Goldstein's letter proves it put a significant dent in their bookings, I don't believe it any way would be terminal for the company.

As far as the actualy theories explained in implementing the new new D benefits, it's really pretty simple. If overcrowding was the total issue, they could have simply opened the newly designated lounges for Diamond members, and offerred the same free drinks they do in the Concierge Lounges. Instead they are offering a 25% discount. So the reality is they are giving back 1/4 of what they took away.

And all the other changes they made adding additional fees, and making discounts non-combinable still exist. Yet many folks seem to be pleased that RCI "listened" to them. Pretty funny really.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
First Mate

Is there a different path to type in to read
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Diamond Members - New Lounge Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember
Looks like the line heard loud and clear that Diamond members were disappointed in the change in policy. I believe there updates appear to be fair and reasonable given the circumstances. Kootos to Royal Caribbean.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/...es_update.html
From posts on Cruisemates and CruiseCritics some cruisers are more content getting toosed the bone. I for one am not. I sent a letter to C&A two weeks ago only to receive their standard form reply given to everyone who sent them an email. I took the route as one poster did and contacted princess to see if they had programs similar to RCCL and if many, many of the loyal RCCL cruisers were to "defect" to them and give them our business could we attain status similar to what we've earned on RCCL. My letter was sent a week ago and according to Princess policy all letters are answered in 2-4 weeks. has anyone reading this sent princess a letter similar to mine and received a reply yet? Princess executives have got to be liking this ! While Mr. Goldstein and Company sot themselves in the foot once again.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Admiral

I, for one, didn't mind the cutbacks and fully intended to continue to cruise RCI. I don't cruise for a "special" lounge, and i'm still 1 credit away from making Diamond member anyway. So RCI didn't really take anything away from me. I cruise for the ships and itineraries.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

I'm also with Blue on this one. In this crazy economy if cutbacks have to be made I do understand. I always continued to cruise with Royal because of the wonderful cruise experience and not for perks and status. Also will be cruising on other lines however do not care about the perks and status on other lines either.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Admiral

I guess I'll be different. All things beling equal the perks are what sway me and that does include the "free" drinks. This whole situation is a crock. As Kuki already pointed out of the 100% they took away they have at best, given 25% back.

I find it rather silly that people are actually willing to settle for that and think it's AOK.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

It was a nice letter and gesture, but it's not enough to make me go back.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:07 AM
First Mate

Just want to make the point that NO other cruiseline offers a club lounge access like Royal Caribbean does. The closest thing is Princess who give you a small mini-bar set-up and once you drink your small set-up that's it. I believe when you compare apples to apples; Royal is actually giving their members some very competitive benefits. Let's all not forget that they are building Diamond Lounges on future vessels for the exclusive use of the Diamond members (Freedom & Oasis Class). Has any other cruise line done this? Has any other cruise line gone as far as building in these designated areas to recognize their Loyal Customers? Seriously people, you've got to be kidding me that other lines are offering something so much better than this?!? Totally mind boggling.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Just want to make the point that NO other cruiseline offers a club lounge access like Royal Caribbean does. The closest thing is Princess who give you a small mini-bar set-up and once you drink your small set-up that's it. I believe when you compare apples to apples; Royal is actually giving their members some very competitive benefits. Let's all not forget that they are building Diamond Lounges on future vessels for the exclusive use of the Diamond members (Freedom & Oasis Class). Has any other cruise line done this? Has any other cruise line gone as far as building in these designated areas to recognize their Loyal Customers? Seriously people, you've got to be kidding me that other lines are offering something so much better than this?!? Totally mind boggling.
Good points, but for me it's the fact that they have gone back on their promise or commitment to their loyal guests. They could completely restore the benefits, but that would not restore my trust.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Good points, but for me it's the fact that they have gone back on their promise or commitment to their loyal guests. They could completely restore the benefits, but that would not restore my trust.
I agree with you 100% Snoozeman, the damage has been done. Like I said on the other side, this issue is far from over.

Colleen
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I agree with you DM! Other cruiselines are not offering anything special either.

What is Totally Mind Boggling for me is that cruisers book cruises for the the perks and status.

I always cruise for the cruise experience and never worry about what perks can I get out of a cruiseline.

As for trust I don't trust any cruiseline. Any cruiseline at any given time can cutback.

Many of the Loyal guests in fact are not 100% loyal to Royal and cruise other lines also (myself included).

It is very funny though that Royal takes away free drinks and cruisers go crazy.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:
I agree with you DM! Other cruiselines are not offering anything special either.

What is Totally Mind Boggling for me is that cruisers book cruises for the the perks and status.

I always cruise for the cruise experience and never worry about what perks can I get out of a cruiseline.

As for trust I don't trust any cruiseline. Any cruiseline at any given time can cutback.

Many of the Loyal guests in fact are not 100% loyal to Royal and cruise other lines also (myself included).

It is very funny though that Royal takes away free drinks and cruisers go crazy.

For both you and Diamondmember. To each his own..........as far as I'm concerned RCL is playing a con-job and so many fall for it. Of course they are pushing everyone towards the monster ships. That's half the reason they are playing this game.

No, other cruiselines don't have as CL lounge - BUT - they never claimed they did nor did they say they would or will have in the future. The question here is honesty and that's something RCL is terribly lacking in.

Personally, this does not affect my status - I am a D+ however it does effect my friends and clients and that does pee me off.

Honesty is imperative and that is something RCL doesn't have. But there are those who think no matter what RCL does is OAK and they would walk the gangplank just becauset they are told to do so by either the RC's or RCL itself.

I'm glad to report I am not a sheep and prefer to beat my own drum and that does mean not accepting the weak response that RCL is handing out.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat

To each his own
I agree with you 100% to each his own.

I believe that those cruisers that are upset about Royals cutbacks should cancel their Royal bookings and never cruise with Royal again. There are many other wonderful cruiselines out there.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Familiar Face

Default Replying to this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
It was a nice letter and gesture, but it's not enough to make me go back.
Snoozeman....I couldn't agree with your comment any better. Unfortunately I have 20 RCCL cruises booked and that still leads me to being short to continue to get the full experience of Diamond+. But as brought out this status will change in a few years unless like you and others have said I'll spend my money elsewhere using other cruise lines. From what I read about Princess the so called mini bar or booze in your room may not be compared to what you used to get in the CL along with the better finger feeds. All nice touches and a way to thank the passengers for cruising with RCCL and being Diamond. many of the replies don't see this as a positive gesture. Shareholders are also the loosers here where they once were able to combine with the Diamond dixcount on balconies.. RCCL is still not making things attractive for their Diamond guests while continue taking perks away that people spent their hard earned money on in these economic times.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:

To each his own

I believe that those cruisers that are upset about Royals cutbacks should cancel their Royal bookings and never cruise with Royal again. There are many other wonderful cruiselines out there.
That is rather a silly statement. If all who are upset cancel their Royal bookings you don't think it will affect the overall product? Of course it will.

Actually it is a rather rude statement. Everyone has a right to their opinion and also the right to state that opinion just as you do. Telling them to sail elsewhere only makes your Royal product weaker and doesn't help it in these weak financial times when EVERY company needs all the business it can get.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To each his own

That is rather a silly statement. If all who are upset cancel their Royal bookings you don't think it will affect the overall product? Of course it will.

Actually it is a rather rude statement. Everyone has a right to their opinion and also the right to state that opinion just as you do. Telling them to sail elsewhere only makes your Royal product weaker and doesn't help it in these weak financial times when EVERY company needs all the business it can get.
Was not meant as rude statement at all. Meaning I understand those that are upset and want to choose another line that is all.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
First Mate

I certainly do not consider myself a sheep following what Royal is dishing out; I merely understand their perspective on this point of view. I travel very frequently with my job and have rewards/status with all major hotel chains, airlines, car rentals, etc. I can tell you with certainty that perks to the "frequent traveler" programs always change. If the changes are not commensurate with your expectations; then you certainly have the right to move over to another cruise line. Just seems silly to me; similar to cruise queen's comment; I sail with Royal for the overall cruise experience, ship design, service and environment. I am also a shareholder; the "onboard credit" change in terms of combining offers isn't something new. Does Carnival even provide shareholders with this onboard credit? If you choose not to book your cruise onboard for the free onboard credit; then at least you'll get it via your shareholder. The only thing downside now is that if you book onboard you can't cash in the shareholder....so what, I always felt like I was double dipping anyway. You still get your Diamond Discount off the cabin cost and any Coupons they send you; those you can still combine.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I certainly do not consider myself a sheep following what Royal is dishing out; I merely understand their perspective on this point of view. I travel very frequently with my job and have rewards/status with all major hotel chains, airlines, car rentals, etc. I can tell you with certainty that perks to the "frequent traveler" programs always change. If the changes are not commensurate with your expectations; then you certainly have the right to move over to another cruise line. Just seems silly to me; similar to cruise queen's comment; I sail with Royal for the overall cruise experience, ship design, service and environment. I am also a shareholder; the "onboard credit" change in terms of combining offers isn't something new. Does Carnival even provide shareholders with this onboard credit? If you choose not to book your cruise onboard for the free onboard credit; then at least you'll get it via your shareholder. The only thing downside now is that if you book onboard you can't cash in the shareholder....so what, I always felt like I was double dipping anyway. You still get your Diamond Discount off the cabin cost and any Coupons they send you; those you can still combine.
First off let me say... I agree with you that cruising with a line simply for their loyalty program rewards seems a bit odd to me. To me, those rewards are perks or a bonus once my choice has been made.

Now, as for accepting changes to various Frequent traveler programs just because they happen across the board, is exactly the reaction the companies making them love.

Should qualify that comment as some programs try to enhance their programs. Its the changes cutting back on rewards that should be questioned.

Accepting cutbacks because of the "current climate" doesn't make sense to me either. In a tough business climate business should be doing what's necessar to attract their clientele, not tell them they can't afford to give them what they were.

BTW, as an aside.. Carnival does offer the shareholder benefits, valid on all Carnival Corporation ships.

I should note that though I am Diamond level on RCI, I've never used the Concierge Lounge, as I don't really drink... so no real value there to me.

I do use the free wash and fold laundry service for Platinum level repeaters on Carnival, so there's more quantitative value there for me. But still not the reason I would book Carnival.

My Blog this week is about Cruiser's Cruise Line Loyalty, and their reasons for being loyal to whatever their line of choice is. Hoping for lots of feedback there to help explain this issue.
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/2009...-line-loyalty/
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
First Mate

While I agree with your point of view around the fact that any service based industry should only be attempting to do "more" to retain their repeat customers; however, this just isn't the way organizations are operating across the board. All benefit programs I participate from my Platinum American Express Card to Free ATM Access at my local Bank have all modified their programs throughout the years. Sometimes I've received "enhanced" benefits and other times they've reduced; my point is that all industries whether it be travel & tourism, banking, or credit cards all can modify their terms & conditions when they believe it is appropriate. Sometimes it benefits us as the consumer and other times doesn't.
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Admiral

I know this is not really the place to post this as first, it's a cruising board and second it doesn't really pertain to this issue but in a sense it shows the travel world and what is happening today.

So, if not appropriate Kuki please remove.

Conquest Vacations has closed effective noon today. Now, this is a Canadian company and their primary has been land vacations to the Caribbean and Mexico.

My point being, no company is immune from going under these days. I beleive that under the right circumstances RCL can be one of those companies. I also realize they have secured financing for the monster ship but at what cost?????

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
You still get your Diamond Discount off the cabin cost and any Coupons they send you; those you can still combine.
Actually you don't. If RCI sends you a coupon you have to choose between the balcony discount and the coupon, they can no longer be combined.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To each his own

Agree Felix why cut off your nose to spite your face? I see you are cruising on Brilliance of the seas. I wish I could go on the May 22, 09 one-I doubt we will ever see a price like that again. $2000 a person for a balcony that includes airfare from NY Kennedy.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To each his own

Agree Felix why cut off your nose to spite your face? I see you are cruising on Brilliance of the seas. I wish I could go on the May 22, 09 one-I doubt we will ever see a price like that again. $2000 a person for a balcony that includes airfare from NY Kennedy.
The Brilliance is probably my favourite ship. We've been on her twice. However, that sailing won't work for us as on May 22 we will be sailing on the Infinity to Alaska.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To each his own

The Brilliance is probably my favourite ship. We've been on her twice. However, that sailing won't work for us as on May 22 we will be sailing on the Infinity to Alaska.
Well we decided to book a tour this year and it is pricey, we could take 3 or 4 cruises for what this is costing us.

NCL had sent us what I thought was a great deal, $2600 a person including airfare for a balcony or $1800 a person for an inside. This was a 7 day from Barcelona but it also included 2 nights hotel in Barcelona. This RCI deal is so much better, not only in price, but I believe a much better ship also, and 5 days longer.

Bottom line-if I like the itinerary, I will go for a cruise, no matter the line, but if another line offers a better price for similar itinerary, I would go for that. I wonder if NCL will drop their price now? I doubt though they could make as "sweet" a deal as this!
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Captain

I know the perks seem small to some but looking at our last cruise in Feb, the perks really added up;

Priority boarding/disembarkation

We were upgraded to a "JS" from a "D" (first complimentary upgrade)

Comp bottle of wine

Dinner with Hotel Director second night out

Given gift of a model ship at Welcome Back party (40th cruise credit gift)

Free specialty coffees and cocktails in Concierge Lounge

Used both of our coupons to get $20 internet usage, 2 more coffees/bar
drinks with coupons, and a photo coupon

So does this help me make my decision for future cruises? Yep

Do I love them? Nope, all the take-aways do suck and food has really gone downhill. But when I do cruise with competitor's, I'm not that impressed either.
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Passenger

My own view is - wait for it

I think AG and RCI realised they had screwed up. I do believe over crowding played a big part in their reason to changes things.

I think they've listened and more or less gave in - ok some peole including me will miss the lounge in the afternoons or in the morning for a nice coffee - the 25% of other drinks could have been 2 vouchers per night for any drink.

I did write to AG thanking him for the u-turn and asking why hadn't they talked to loyal members and find out there views - i did get a nice reply back acknowledging things could have been better handled and apologising.

For me i think its a fair deal - although i can see why others don't agree.

I also think this is a Big shot across the bow of RCI and maybe they'll take to time consult if there is a next time.

jj.......
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Beginner

I am amazed at how much this topic is debated. Whatever they give should be considered a gift.......in this economy everyone is scaling back. Look at the airlines!

I must say though, we are looking at the Oasis and I am shocked that the prices are still so high for December. Hope that changes soon!
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Default Almost Diamond +

I am going on a 2 week Alaska in September which will qualify me for Diamond + upon completion. Glad to finally get there before they up the amount of cruise credits you might need. I am sailing on the Oasis in December and that would be a good time to be on my first Diamond + cruise as you get a behind the scenes tour or something and that should be interesting on that ship.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15