Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Beginner

Default What the Diff! Besides the price

Hey All,

Im looking for some life experience here...We've cruised with Princess and Carnival and are now planning for our pre christmas cruise with our kids (10,9)..In pricing cruises out,I see that Royal has a heftier price tag attached to them compared to carnival (between 800-1000 for Eastern).I would appreciate any feedback if its warranted or not...Tha kind of change can go a long way towards excursions.Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:12 PM
First Mate

Royal provided a more traditional cruising atmosphere. Their forte was ship design up to the Radiance class, which are extremely well designed and very efficient. From the Voyager class onward the ship design changed to be more about impression, with the advent of the Royal Promenade and a skating rink. The ships in the Freedom class add such extras as the flow rider, the H2O water park and a boxing ring. Basically, the ship is part of the big attraction... not the ports.

Decor wise, the ships have nice conservative decor, certainly nothing as brash as Carnival. They also don't allow you to bring any alcohol on board. The public spaces are certainly impressive.

The food is entirely debatable as to which is better (I think Princess is better, certainly from the standpoint of quality of meat, but RCI has better coffee.)

Do I think it commands a premium? No. But that's a personal choice each person must make for themselves. I do enjoy RCL and I enjoy Princess as well. I don't know Carnival well enough, though.
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My short answer would be, if, for your family of 4, you can save that much money, by booking Carnival or Primcess, stay with what you know.

I love RCI, but, that kind of over the top pricing, would mean for me, I would wait till I could find a better price to sail them. The gap between RCI and Carnival, is much narrower than years gone by.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

In todays tough times; price has to be a major deciding factor. Loyalty has to go out the window. You want the best vacation for the best price. Whoever or whatever cruiseline can offer your family the best deal, should be the one you take. RCI is the only ship on the seas with the flowrider (surf machine), ice rink(for skating and watching ice capade shows), and Johnny Rockets, for a fun time. These are all on RCI ships, but Carnival's newer ships are now including the water parks, so they are catching up to RCI.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Ive been on all 3 cruise lines and there isnt a great difference between them. I too have 2 kids and price definately plays a part in my decision. If I could save 800-1000 dollars Im certianly going to do so. However either way you decide you wont be dissapointed, so book it and enjoy

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
Admiral

I'll just agree with the others and say I would not be booking something that is going to cost that much more.

That money can be put to other use such as excursions or a couple of extra days in florida or whereever you are sailing from.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Beginner

Price varies based on demand more than anything. Assuming you are comparing like classes of service (inside to inside, balcony to balcony) across the lines.

If you check often, you will see the price changing, depending on how booked a cruise is. Pick a less popular ship/route/time, and pay alot less. Could be the Princess criuse is not as booked up as the RCL. I havent seen RCL overall more expensive than Princess, but often more than Carnival
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I would shop around for a cheaper Royal Caribbean cruise. Kids love the RCL ships, especially older kids (young kids don't care as long as it has a water park and fun programs).

Cruise fares can vary a lot by sail date. if you are booking summer or spring break (a little late for that, right?) then you will pay more.

MOst cruises get more expensive in the summer because kids are on vacation.

if you can't find a cheaper RCL cruise (keep in mind I recommend the bigger ships, the bigger the better when it comes to onboard features) then I would look for a bargain on Carnival or even Princess. Princess can (not always) be very competitive for pricing, and their bigger ships (post 100,000 tons) are full of fun features.

I like Carnival a lot for food & service, but they are are more focused on interaction with the staff & crew and less on shipboard features. The food & service is good, but the decor is a bit shocking (um, the word tacky comes to mind). It isn't cheap, it is just in somewhat questionable taste to be honest.

Should decor matter? Well, why not stay at Circus Circus instead of the Venetian in Vegas? Why not stay at the Holiday Inn instaed of the Plaza in NYC. Yes, it matters especially as a first impression.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I would shop around for a cheaper Royal Caribbean cruise. Kids love the RCL ships, especially older kids (young kids don't care as long as it has a water park and fun programs).

Cruise fares can vary a lot by sail date. if you are booking summer or spring break (a little late for that, right?) then you will pay more.

if you can't find a cheaper RCL cruise (keep in mind I recommend the bigger ships, the bigger the better when it comes to onboard features) then I would look for a bargain on Carnival or even Princess. Princess can (not always) be very competitive for pricing, and their bigger ships (post 100,000 tons) are full of fun features.

I like Carnival a lot for food & service, but they are are more focused on interaction with the staff & crew and less on shipboard features. The food & service is good, but the decor is a bit shocking (um, the word tacky comes to mind). It isn't cheap, it is just in somewhat questionable taste to be honest.

Should decor matter? Well, why not stay at Circus Circus instead of the Venetian in Vegas? Why not stay at the Holiday Inn instaed of the Plaza in NYC. Yes, it matters especially as a first impression.

Very well said Paul

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
...but the decor is a bit shocking (um, the word tacky comes to mind). It isn't cheap, it is just in somewhat questionable taste to be honest.

Stop being so PC. Some of older Carnival decor looks like they bought it for a cheap brothel... except it's all G rate, of course.
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono Pug
Ive been on all 3 cruise lines and there isnt a great difference between them. I too have 2 kids and price definately plays a part in my decision. If I could save 800-1000 dollars Im certianly going to do so. However either way you decide you wont be dissapointed, so book it and enjoy
Princess has MUTS, but so do some Carnival ships. Carnival ships, the newer ones, also have the huge water slid that kids like.So your kids would probably prefer canrival, since it has more kid's attractions, but most adults prefer Princess.

You have to decide what would fit your family best. Please remember, if you dislike the other line, remember that you paid less, and sometimes it IS that "you get what you pay for." Now, "getting what you pay for," is not necessarily a bad thing though. Only you know how much your cruise experience depended on the flow rider, rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, etc. things that RCI ships have but Carnival and Princess do not have.

BTW, no Johnny Rockets either, however Carnival does have 24 hour self serve ice cream/yogurt and pizza for no extra charge.
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What the Diff! Besides the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman
Hey All,

Im looking for some life experience here...We've cruised with Princess and Carnival and are now planning for our pre christmas cruise with our kids (10,9)..In pricing cruises out,I see that Royal has a heftier price tag attached to them compared to carnival (between 800-1000 for Eastern).I would appreciate any feedback if its warranted or not...Tha kind of change can go a long way towards excursions.Thanks in Advance
Are you comparing the "book" price of RCCL to the "book" price of Carnival and Princess?

Be advised that RCCL does not allow TA's to go below book price like they can on other lines. Some give perks like on board credits or free insurance to compensate. Usually that gets it down to close to what a wheeling dealing TA can do under the book price for the other lines.

I find they all fall somewhere pretty close to one another when compared straight up apples to apples.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Passenger

After cruising Royal for the first time on spring break with a 9 year old, 12 year old and two 14 year olds... we prefered the idea of all the things to do on Royal (rockwall, iceskating, inline skating, mini golf, ect.) Oh and if you are excited about the idea of Johnny Rockets, dont be, the service is not good and our kids wouldnt even eat there more than once. But we were so dissapointed with the food and service on Royal that I doubt we will ever go back. I think if we could go on a larger Carnival ship it would be a hands down choice for Carnival. But everyone has their own oppinion. Just look into what suits your own family best.
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Re: What the Diff! Besides the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman
Hey All,

My granddaughters have been on several cruises, including Carnival, Princess and Disney. The went on their first Royal Caribbean cruise last year and were unanimous about Royal Caribbean having the best children's program. They liked it even better than Disney. They were 11 and 8 at the time of their last cruise, if that helps.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Passenger

Hhhmmm. I guess it depends on what you compare. There are a LOT of apples and oranges involved. But when it comes to $$$ and cents, the $$$ rules.

I would say go to a travel site, pick the length of cruise, amount of money you want to spend and the regions you are interested in, do a search and then compare.

I have found that I don't care for big ships and I don't care for small ships. The middle ground is for me. I have also found that food quality is important. Then there's the ports - don't want too many days at sea and don't want to do the same ports again. Let's not forget air fare. And home ports-what to do there? Here you came looking for answers and I provide a bunch of questions! That's it! I'm fired! Good night all.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Admiral

When you say a Pre Christmas cruise do you mean the first two weeks of December? The first two weeks of December the rates are pretty good.

If you are flexible with dates then I would look around for a good rate on a Freedom Class ship. With a 10 and 9 year old they would love the ship.

It all comes down to one's budget and what they can spend.

Enjoy whichever you pick!!

8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Hi fishmen. By now you already know the price factor , maybe the cabin size , but I think this is a personal choice each person must make for themselves
have a nice day
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Admiral

I loved the Liberty of the Seas and booked it again. I don't care about the price. Life is too short to take a cruise I don't like.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
I loved the Liberty of the Seas and booked it again. I don't care about the price. Life is too short to take a cruise I don't like.

TM
Yes!!! Life is to short to have the ship of your dreams sail without you! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel

TM
Yes!!! Life is to short to have the ship of your dreams sail without you! 8)
As you can see Thecruisequeen has a way with words. 8)

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:

My daughter and her friends are looking at a 5 day RCI Navigator of the seas Thanksgiving week. It is a reasonable price, considering it is Thanksgiving week. No flowrider, but there is an ice skating rink, Johnny Rockets and rock climbing wall.