Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Passenger

Default Monarch April 17th short review

boarding time was 12:30, they let people on by 11:30, maybe a little earlier. We were on by 11:45 enjoying lunch. The rooms on the 2nd level #2083 were quite small. I'm not sure if the inside cabins on the higher floors were any larger. Maybe because my last cruise was on carnival, but the rooms seemed more like converted crew quarters. But, I love Royal, so I realized that the room was adequate, I don't need a lot of space. The shower had the curtains that stick to you - I hate those and had thought that they were done away with. Our bathroom had a sewer smell that (stupid me) thought due to us being so low on the ship (I've never been on deck 2 before. The 2nd day I finally called it in and they fixed it, thankfully. It had to do with a valve in the shower drain or something like that. The food was very good to excellent, I even enjoyed the pizza. The service was good also - though at times I did feel that they may have cut back. During some of the shows it seemed there was not enough people getting drinks and I had to wait a long time. There was no soft serve ice cream. They've done away with baked alaska due to fire hazard - bummer!

Our waiter was excellent and made animals out of the napkins and put on little skits with them - awesome.

I'm looking forward to trying the my time dining program when you can tell them each morning what time you plan to eat dinner. Very flexible and a hybrid against the free style.

Also..I was able to put $100 down towards a future cruise and receive a certificate for me and two other cabins to get an onboard credit. The amount is according to how many days the cruise is and it does not expire, I can decide later on when to book the cruise. That was so cool, no pressure to pick a ship and date.

The comedy, dance show, comedian/magician were ALL EXCELLENT. The pools were BOTH shut at night, that was a disappointment for me. Also enjoyed the cruise director, the last few prior to this on Royal were sub-par, so it was refreshing to have a young, hip, good-looking, lively cruise director with a good sense of humor. (Drew Devine)

The first day the ship was rocking in 15 foot seas and 25 mile an hour winds. We learned that some rich guy had rented out the majesty for a company party and due to that we had to swap our itenary and go to coco cay first, then the bahamas. I was fine with that, but the waves were too bad for us to tender in coco cay..so we did not go there. Out of 13 cruises, mostly during hurricane season - this has NEVER happened to me. I've never missed a port due to wether. So..for all of you hesitant to book during Sept, keep in mind that mother nature is unpredictable at ANY time of year.

We arrived in Nassau about 10 p.m. and left the next day at 1 p.m. (not a lot of time to do stuff). I've been many times and will be back in Sept, so no big deal for me, others were disappointed. The weater was nice the entire trip, though windy at times. Someone fell off of the Norweigan sky and we were one of the ships helping to look. He was never found. How sad.

The dance club was open on the ship till 3 a.m. and was happening - though I did see quite a few really really drunk people. The quest game as always was a hoot. Of course my team took 1st place - I did good recruiting. I did NOT appreciate a few of the quest. 1) the false teeth one should go away...what if someone drops a persons teeth and they break - that would be devastating 2) the mad rush to kiss a guy on stage caused me to collide with a ton of girls and it was quite painful. I hit the floor and hurt my knee. I'm not sure why I did not expect us all to reach this guy at the same time, but we did. Not fun.

The ship is small and not nearly as impressive as the Enchantment or larger ships, but it was still pretty and in good shape.

We had a loyalty party for platinum and above and it was very nice, though it had gotten cancelled / rescheduled at the last minute with no notice to us. They apoligized with an extra gift to us in the room (calculator).

I learned that the gifts are going away and replacing with better coupons eff 9/1. I go on the same cruise 9/18 so we will see.

The pools were too cold to swim in except for one hot day, when it may have felt refreshing. I think that I'll stick to my Sept cruises and not do any more spring ones. The inside cabin for me was $282 total and in Sept it is $266 total. Others had same rate with better cabin, so I learned the trick was to keep an eye on the price changes HOURLY up until you leave on the cruise. NOTED.

I smuggled on 4 wine coolers, not hidden or anything in my carry on..they let it go through, no questions asked. They were not even wrapped in clothes or anything!

The last 2 carnival ships (sensation & fascination) that I went on had an awful taste to the water and drinks with ice for the first day, I was so happy that this did not happen on Royal.

There seemed to be more younger people then I remembered, but this was more during the spring break time then the Sept cruises that I normally take.

I could never get RCCL's website to work in the internet cafe. Sometimes it would come up and then get replaced by the sign on screen. That was frustrating as I was wanting to look at some possible cruises out of tampa. The front desk was clueless.

Sorry that this is not organized...late and wanted to give all some feedback.

We had a great time and can't wait to go back.

Fantasy 9/11/94 Freeport Nassau
Fascination 9/10/01 KW Cozumel
Imagination 9/12/02 KW Cozumel
Soverign 9/11/03 Coco Nassau
Enchantment 12/16/04 KW Cozumel
Soverign 9/23/05 Coco Nassau
Soverign 1/20/06 Coco Nassau
Navigator 9/16/06 Labade Ocho Rios George Town Cozumel
Enchantment 9/6/07 KW Cozumel
Sensation 2/21/08 Nassau
Mariner 9/14/08 Coco St. Thomas St. Maarten
Fascination 12/4/08 Freeport Nassau
Monarch 4/17/09 Coco Nassau
Monarch 9/18/09 Coco Nassau
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Captain

Thanks for the review, bevygodwin.

Sounds like your cruise had some bumps.

My DD sailed the Monarch in March and said it was too cold for swimming then, too.

Hope your knee is better!

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Captain

We had a woman badly sprain her ankle during the quest game when we were sailing on Sovereign in '07. Like you, I think there are parts of it that they might need to tone down just a bit to keep from people getting hurt or property getting damaged, lost etc. It was a lot of fun though.
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Passenger

My knee is better, thank goodness..I was really getting worried. Of course a few days after I got home, I decided to get a hot rock massage to pay my body back for what I put it through. It was great and really helped the kinks in my back, neck & shoulders.

On one quest someones prescription pills spilled all over the floor and had to be carefully picked up. YIKES I wonder if anyone's false teeth have ever been dropped - that would NOT be funny at all.

Now that I'm caught up on my sleep I do recall that we got to Nassau earlier than the planned 10-11 p.m. Since we missed coco cay, they felt they would try to get there earlier, hoping there would be a parking space..and there was..we arrived at 3 p.m., stayed the night in nassau and left the next day at 12:30.

Wow..them 3 day cruises sure take a toll on you! lol

Sensation 2/21/08 Nassau
Monarch 4/17/09 Coco Nassau
Monarch 9/18/09 Coco Nassau
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the great review!

We are booked in Halloween and can't wait!

Can you tell me if they have the midnight buffet in the dining room where they have all the chocoloate sculptures and fruit/cheese carvings?

Thanks!
Michell
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Passenger

We are going again in Sep with a group of friends, looking forward to it and hoping the waves are not as bad as they were this time.

They no longer do the midnight buffet on the smaller cruises (they may still do it on the 5 or 7 night cruises). They did have some fruit carvings at the dancing under the stars midnight party, but nothing like the spread of decorative foods that they used to do for the midnight buffet. I think that a lot of the food was going to waste, so they discontinued this.

Sensation 2/21/08 Nassau