Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Passenger

Just talked to RC. We are booked for Enchantment May 16th. She said they have cancelled the cozumel stop. I asked if that is subject to change and she would not answer the question directly. I asked 2 more times and she said she cannot comment on that. Then she hung up on me. I was civil and polite. Way to go RCL.

I said that if they were to reinstate the Mex stop I would cancel. Not impressed with RCL.

Oh well.
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoper
Just talked to RC. We are booked for Enchantment May 16th. She said they have cancelled the cozumel stop. I asked if that is subject to change and she would not answer the question directly. I asked 2 more times and she said she cannot comment on that. Then she hung up on me. I was civil and polite. Way to go RCL.

I said that if they were to reinstate the Mex stop I would cancel. Not impressed with RCL.

Oh well.
Good for them -- I guess they decided that Cozumel is inland? couldn't help the snark -- my bad.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Now all cruiselines have cancelled all Mexican ports and none too soon really. The only one that went in today was RCL to Cabo with the Mariner. Not very smart on their part but they always seem to be the last to join the circus.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:44 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
Now all cruiselines have cancelled all Mexican ports and none too soon really. The only one that went in today was RCL to Cabo with the Mariner. Not very smart on their part but they always seem to be the last to join the circus.
Have you read Paul Motter's article on the front page of this board? While he makes some valid points like why aren't we closing the borders? The tenor of his article was disturbing, imo. He tries to say a handful of people pressured the cruise ships to stop porting in Mexico -- people who didn't want to cruise there anyway. Since when does a handful of complainers make these corporations do anything? And why should one who wants to cruise to Mexico be prevented from doing so by these handful of complainers, he rails.

He says Mexico only has an outbreak of illness, not an epidemic. So I looked up the definition -- it's based on what is normal or expected so even a few cases of rabies can be considered an epidemic since it is so rare. So we have a never-before-seen virus at a mortality rate of 12%, by the most recent calculations, and that is normal or expected? It's not epidemic? 60% of La Gloria got ill -- and that's normal with any flu? You have mortality largely in the healthy adult population, and that's normal for flu?

He questions why those who have been calling for cruise ships not to port in Mexico aren't calling for planes not to fly there. Well, by definition cruising would be non-essential travel because it's vacation, not basic transportation.

He understands the economics, but Mexico's loss will be another caribbean ports' gain, and those who are being allowed to cancel a cruise, aren't being given their money back, as I understand it. They will need to choose another cruise. It's a temporary hit, but a small one, given that. He points to Cozumel as being 1000 miles from an outbreak -- ah, it's quite close to CanCun where the NY and NZ group traveled. And yes, it's an island, but we all know there are ferries that run back and forth to the mainland, and how close is Playa to CanCun?

So what's the deal? This thing probably will not go on forever, although there is some sense that it will die down over the summer only to reemerge in the fall. The cruise lines are only making temporary changes, to be reevaluated in a couple of weeks when we have a better handle on this. Why does he seem so ticked off?
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Admiral

I can't speak for him of course, but I happen to be one of those who agree with the changes. I'm not a big Mexico fan at the best of times I admit but knowingly sending people into an area of acute danger (in this case contageous illness) is wanton disregard for people as far as I am concerned.

There are several issues in play here. One of the big ones being governments (my own Canadian one included) have said said no travel to Mexico unless essential. Follow that by travel insurance not being valid when going to a posted country now creates a monetary risk.

I don't believe there are just a few people who were complaining - I would be more inclined to say a lot of people were complaining about going to Mexico.

There is no telling where this disease is going to go. Yes, there are not really that many cases right now is the big scheme of things. But...........and that is the problem..................but there is no way of knowing where this is going to go. Obviously Mexico is the epicenter - why would anyone want to willingly go into the center of such a thing?

Once Mexico gets a handle on it and there are answers, fine, start going back - but until then - stay away.

BTW - there are at least 2 Canadians who had been to CanCun who have mild cases of this, so no one can tell me it isn't in the port areas.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

I just read Paul Mottor's piece. I think he is putting the "blame" on the wrong people. The cruiselines have bent to the will of the people because they are protecting their bottom line in my opinion.

If there were "only" the vocal few raising the hew and cry over this issue, then give those people a refund or transfer to another cruise and everything will be fine.

This is a publicity nightmare. If they were to continue to sail to Mexico they will be called heartless and careless. Once so many governments (inculding the US) advised against non-essential travel to Mexico they really didn't have any choice.

But Paul, stop blaming the few. This may hurt their bottom line some but not near as much as it would if they don't listen to the majority (and the government.)

Besides, I put people before anyone's bottom line.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Captain

Wow, what a difference a day makes, huh?

Well, no ships stopping in Mexico. I guess that answers OP's question.

Honestly, large corporations need to be more nimble so they can make decisions faster when peoples' well being is at stake. The foot dragging comes off as uncaring greed when I assume it's more likely that no one at the large corp wants to be the one to make a decision so they keep passing the buck til someone calls a meeting, and then the donuts arrive, and they review the issue for 45 minutes, and eventually a decision is reached. Jeez.... and we wonder what's wrong with business in America these days. It's the top ten percent and their incompetence.

Sorry... went off on a bit of a tangent there.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Captain

Just saw a rumor that RCL is offering OBC if you keep your Mexico booking .

Cruiselines must be getting slammed by this swine flu.

Disney Wonder
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
First Mate

Mexican child dies in Houston. Chicago shuts down a school on the North side, large Hispanic student population, for a suspected outbreak. Illinois health officials saying there our probable other cases, but won't say where. Press conference at 1:30. Starting to hit close to home for me.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon
Mexican child dies in Houston. Chicago shuts down a school on the North side, large Hispanic student population, for a suspected outbreak. Illinois health officials saying there our probable other cases, but won't say where. Press conference at 1:30. Starting to hit close to home for me.
Are you in the Illinois area?

Yes, this is becoming bigger. Even though the child was from Mexico the fact is he died in the US therefore there was a lot of exposure in Texas.

We don't go anywhere for another 3 weeks but to be honest, paranoid though it may sound, I will advise all my group to buy themselves a face mask for the plane.

I did read this morning that WHO is considering raising the risk level to 5

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, this is becoming bigger. Even though the child was from Mexico the fact is he died in the US therefore there was a lot of exposure in Texas.

We don't go anywhere for another 3 weeks but to be honest, paranoid though it may sound, I will advise all my group to buy themselves a face mask for the plane.

Yes.

I just read on CC that a cruiser on RCI is being offered a huge OBC (350 -- big to me!) to stay with her cruise, or a full refund, plus 350 voucher for a future Mexican cruise -- don't remember all of it. WOW, am I shocked! Nice for those affected, but I guess I am just a born cynic -- is this because RCI has been hit so hard recently in the pr department? After all, disease is in the Act of God category, and they do nothing like that for changes in itinerary for huricanes, choppy water that prevents porting, blizzards that prevent cruisers from making port, and they are responding to a government directive against non essential travel, to boot! I am shocked.

WHO is evidently getting politicized, imo. I read today they are trying to say that only 7 or 9 people have died in Mexico! I don't think they are going to raise the level when they are doing that -- seems the economic impact of this in a world wide recession (depression?) might be getting to them -- too late.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes.

I just read on CC that a cruiser on RCI is being offered a huge OBC (350 -- big to me!) to stay with her cruise, or a full refund, plus 350 voucher for a future Mexican cruise -- don't remember all of it. WOW, am I shocked! Nice for those affected, but I guess I am just a born cynic -- is this because RCI has been hit so hard recently in the pr department? After all, disease is in the Act of God category, and they do nothing like that for changes in itinerary for huricanes, choppy water that prevents porting, blizzards that prevent cruisers from making port, and they are responding to a government directive against non essential travel, to boot! I am shocked.

WHO is evidently getting politicized, imo. I read today they are trying to say that only 7 or 9 people have died in Mexico! I don't think they are going to raise the level when they are doing that -- seems the economic impact of this in a world wide recession (depression?) might be getting to them -- too late.
I've just read the paper here and it says WHO is almost ready to raise to a level 5. I'm sure the economic impact is playing heavily on everyone here - all companies and Mexico as a whole. But ----------what can I say.

I'm shocked at RCL but you know, they will come out of this smelling like a rose. The PR compared to what they've been having over the last number of months will be good for them. I'm sure there will be a price to pay at some time in the not too distant future but they are coming out ahead of Carnival.

Carnival only changed to May 4 and hasn't announced anything later than that. They say there will be another announcement at 5 PM tonight and it better be a good one. My clients are really upset.

Actually with what RCL has done over this I have to admit they have gone up (a slight bit) in my estimation.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Captain

OBC for those who do not cancel?

Sounds like a cash flow problem to me. RCL needs these people on the ships spending their money NOW. Not 6 months from now.

Yup, This swine flu is a kick in the seat of the pants for the cruiselines.

Disney Wonder
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
First Mate

Just finished listening to the Chicago press conference. 9 cases, 5 in Cook, and 4 in the collar counties. One hospitalized, the 12 yr old in Chicago. Ages, 12,25,36,35,20 In Chicago; 12 and 18 in Kane county; 27 in DuPage; 6 in Lake. Stupid reporters didn't ask if these folks had contact with Mexico. 99% percent sure of diagnosis.

Watching CNN -- kyron says -- pandemic imminent -- (guess I was wrong about this announcement). This is a WHO meeting -- not sure if there is an actual declaration to raise the status. Developing.
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Admiral

I hope I'm wrong, but I detect that the tenor of some of the postings on this thread lead me to believe some may rather gleeful that the cruiselines, especially RCI, are getting hit hard.

If so, I'm not one and for the simple reason that more important than folks' hard earned vacations being ruined, thousands of others are losing income, maybe tens or hundreds of thousands when one factors in the ripple effect.

News reports say that there are about 200 deaths in Mexico last time I heard. The BIG problem is, they don't know if all, most, or only a handfull died from Swine Flu. They only know they have died from respiratory ailments; which narrows the whole shebang down to oh, only about a hundred or so possible causes.

Nor has anyone yet to explain why the parents of the infant from Mexico who died nor the family members and friends they've been visiting remain asymptomatic.

Todd
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
First Mate

http://tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/ak...=92595&page=66

third post down -- now that is scary! Look at the actual numbers next to the projected thus far.
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
I hope I'm wrong, but I detect that the tenor of some of the postings on this thread lead me to believe some may rather gleeful that the cruiselines, especially RCI, are getting hit hard.

If so, I'm not one and for the simple reason that more important than folks' hard earned vacations being ruined, thousands of others are losing income, maybe tens or hundreds of thousands when one factors in the ripple effect.

News reports say that there are about 200 deaths in Mexico last time I heard. The BIG problem is, they don't know if all, most, or only a handfull died from Swine Flu. They only know they have died from respiratory ailments; which narrows the whole shebang down to oh, only about a hundred or so possible causes.

Nor has anyone yet to explain why the parents of the infant from Mexico who died nor the family members and friends they've been visiting remain asymptomatic.

Todd
I am most definitely not being "gleeful" at RCL or any of the cruiselines. I do not want to see anyone ill though because profits come first. In the case of RCL in particular, they have gone above and beyond as far as I am concerned at this moment and for that I commend them highly.

My concern at the moment is Carnival which has a direct impact on my clients and they arn't moving too fast.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Felix,

You may be interested in the latest Newsweek article.

" four patients were admitted to the intensive-care unit in the last week suffering from pneumonia. All showed symptoms of swine flu, and two died last Friday. Yet their death certificates made no mention of the virus because the victims were not tested for it.

Another physician, who spoke with NEWSWEEK en Español but asked not to be identified, claimed that in the Gea González Hospital—the biggest facility run by the Ministry of Health in Mexico City—doctors have been explicitly told not to record pneumonia as a cause of death. "You must say that they died of cardiac arrest or anything else," said the physician about the instruction given to them. (The Ministry of Health did not comment on these allegations ahead of NEWSWEEK en Español's deadline this week.)"
http://www.newsweek.com/id/195400/page/2

I also learned today that the cdc is only accepting 3 samples from each county -- we know that at the state level testing there is 90% probability, but 100% must be confirmed be the cdc. So the Cook county 5, will only show up as 3 on the official cdc site if the 90% turns out to be 100%.

Others can be mollified by the under reporting, but it only serves to make folks less vigilent, and that is not a good thing.
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Captain

It's always dangerous to try to interpret tone in a post.

I don't detect any "gleefulness" in the postings and don't hold any myself. I have a very expensive cruise booked on RCL this summer and have my fingers crossed that all will be well.

But this is the RCL forum, so I guess that could account for the focus on RCL. If it was the Carnival forum, I would expect the postings to focus on Carnival.

This is big news for the travel industry. Most of the cases of swine flu outside of Mexico have a direct link to travellers. Our VP even said he wouldn't fly on a plane given this outbreak.

Given the little that is known (or reported as fact), we can only infer and so we do. This is terrible news but news nonetheless. And RCL's financial woes has been news all through 2009.

Please don't think of us as uncaring --- just coming at this from a different angle.

Disney Wonder
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Felix,

" four patients were admitted to the intensive-care unit in the last week suffering from pneumonia. All showed symptoms of swine flu, and two died last Friday. Yet their death certificates made no mention of the virus because the victims were not tested for it.

Another physician, who spoke with NEWSWEEK en Español but asked not to be identified, claimed that in the Gea González Hospital—the biggest facility run by the Ministry of Health in Mexico City—doctors have been explicitly told not to record pneumonia as a cause of death. "You must say that they died of cardiac arrest or anything else," said the physician about the instruction given to them. (The Ministry of Health did not comment on these allegations ahead of NEWSWEEK en Español's deadline this week.)"

I also learned today that the cdc is only accepting 3 samples from each county -- we know that at the state level testing there is 90% probability, but 100% must be confirmed be the cdc. So the Cook county 5, will only show up as 3 on the official cdc site if the 90% turns out to be 100%.

Others can be mollified by the under reporting, but it only serves to make folks less vigilent, and that is not a good thing.
What you're saying doesn't surprise me at all. The fact is Mexico is corrupt which extends all through their political system at the same time they are depending on the touristas for their money (other than the drug trade of course). Letting this kind of information out is really going to devastate that country. And it seems it already has. Very few people are willing to go there now and, even when they declare this over it will take them a long time to climb back from this.

In the one sense, I understand why they didn't want to make it public but protection of the public must be paramount to any else.

I also believe there are probably 100's of cases in the US and Canada as well as other countries around the world. But as they are mild cases people don't seek treatment anymore than they would a common cold. Now that panic (in a sense) has set in there will be 100's who will not report their illnesses causing 100's more to be infected.

As long as it stays in this "mild" stage their won't be any real problems. However if it mutates again and starts causing deaths there will be no containing it. The only thing in our favour from 1918 is we have better treatments and knowledge on what to do using common sense things like wash your hands.

Everyone has to be caution - there isn't too much else we can do. How do you force the Mexican authorities to be honest? You can't...........

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Passenger

My hope at this point is that I would be able to reschedule my same cruise for a much later date. So far RCL says no. We are on Enchanment May 16th. THey did drop Mex, but I have decided that for my family's safety I prefer not to go AT THIS TIME. I really wish we had the option to change date sans penalty.

I realize that this is not RCL's fault, but I would like a little more flexibility.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
My hope at this point is that I would be able to reschedule my same cruise for a much later date. So far RCL says no. We are on Enchanment May 16th. THey did drop Mex, but I have decided that for my family's safety I prefer not to go AT THIS TIME. I really wish we had the option to change date sans penalty.

I realize that this is not RCL's fault, but I would like a little more flexibility.
Perhaps its too early for them to give you that option? I haven't been following RCL that close as it doesn't impact any of my clients at this time.
I know Carnival hasn't given any decisions past May 4.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps its too early for them to give you that option? I haven't been following RCL that close as it doesn't impact any of my clients at this time.
I know Carnival hasn't given any decisions past May 4.
I am thinking you are right -- they were very generous with that other cruiser, but I didn't note when her cruise was leaving -- probably soon.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Felix,

What you're saying doesn't surprise me at all. The fact is Mexico is corrupt which extends all through their political system at the same time they are depending on the touristas for their money (other than the drug trade of course). Letting this kind of information out is really going to devastate that country. And it seems it already has. Very few people are willing to go there now and, even when they declare this over it will take them a long time to climb back from this.

In the one sense, I understand why they didn't want to make it public but protection of the public must be paramount to any else.

I also believe there are probably 100's of cases in the US and Canada as well as other countries around the world. But as they are mild cases people don't seek treatment anymore than they would a common cold. Now that panic (in a sense) has set in there will be 100's who will not report their illnesses causing 100's more to be infected.

As long as it stays in this "mild" stage their won't be any real problems. However if it mutates again and starts causing deaths there will be no containing it. The only thing in our favour from 1918 is we have better treatments and knowledge on what to do using common sense things like wash your hands.

Everyone has to be caution - there isn't too much else we can do. How do you force the Mexican authorities to be honest? You can't...........
I think you are correct -- heck, I've been thinking that it might be better to get it now, and build an immunity, than later if it bounces back in the fall, like the 1918 flu did. Broke out in April, very mild, and bounced back in the fall as a real killer -- at least that is what I have read. Heck, getting decent information is hard -- I just heard a doc on tv say you can take tamiflu as a prophylactic, and I have read the exact opposite.

Meanwhile our cases in Illinois quadrupled in 24 hrs -- we're up to 40 something. Flying on Sat -- maybe there will actually be some extra room on that flight?

On Chicago radio today I learned some more. The state lab, at least here, in the first 7 hrs of testing a sample can tell if the virus is H1N1,human. If it is not human, then it has to be Mexico's strain of swine because that is the only non-human strain out there so they are 99.9% positive before it goes off to the cdc. Probable -- which our government is calling suspected -- is 99.9% sure -- at least from our state.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Canada now has 34 confirmed cases, all mild. I think you may have a point, catch it now while it's only mild and build immunities before the onslaught in the fall.

My DH's grandmother died of the 1918 flu. She was 28 and had gone to nurse a friend who had the flu. She caught it and died leaving a husband to raise 2 small children.

Hmmm - less people flying ----- I hadn't thought of it like that but thanks to Biden that's highly likely. It appears he only opens mouth to change feet.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old May 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM
First Mate

That is sad about DH's grandma -- taking them young and healty, that sure is the fear, huh?

The WH should have spun it differently -- just stick with the truth, as he was clearly saying what his advice was to his family. I know he is in a position where he shouldn't say it, but lots of folks are saying stay away from confined and crowded places.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Admiral

We just canceled our Jan 2010 on Radiance .
We booked on the Golden to Hawaii instead .
We discussed the Caribbean and decided
travel between countries is to easy.To
chance a cruise.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer
We just canceled our Jan 2010 on Radiance .
We booked on the Golden to Hawaii instead .
We discussed the Caribbean and decided
travel between countries is to easy.To
chance a cruise.
Don't you think that's a bit soon? You know, you've also made me think something else- we really arn't hearing anything about any cases in the other Caribbean countries are we. We are only hearing from developed countries (and I don't mean that as a slam against any other country.)

Intersting.............

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Some Caribbean countries don't have the same level of medical
care as in developed countries.
Example: We always hear about the AIDS levels in Africa and developed countries . Countries like the DR , Jamaica and others don't report or
really care about it. IOt hurts their tourism.
This can also apply to the swine Flu.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer
Some Caribbean countries don't have the same level of medical
care as in developed countries.
Example: We always hear about the AIDS levels in Africa and developed countries . Countries like the DR , Jamaica and others don't report or
really care about it. IOt hurts their tourism.
This can also apply to the swine Flu.
Yes, I agree with you.......as I was typing my response to your last posting you can see I was changing my mind as I thought about it.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub