CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Are you changing plans because of Swine Flu in Mexico? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/363875-you-changing-plans-because-swine-flu-mexico.html)

ToddDH April 27th, 2009 08:51 AM

Are you changing plans because of Swine Flu in Mexico?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone is changing their plans to cruise Western Caribbean itin's that make ports of call in Mexico?

I know airlines are allowing passengers to cancel without penalty. Are any of the cruiselines offering similar protection or are they even yet at that point?

Finally, if you do cruise, do you intend to diembark at Mexican ports?

Todd

WildRover April 27th, 2009 10:11 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the excursions get cancelled. The last thing the cruiselines need is this flu being brought back onto their ships.

I see the cruiselines changing itineraries to avoid Mexico.

WildRover April 27th, 2009 10:19 AM

Fox news just announced that the State Department is now BANNING all unessesary travel to Mexico.

EU has advised against traveling to Mexico and US.

Cruiselines will definitely change itineraries.

felix_the_cat April 27th, 2009 10:50 AM

I am not travelling to Mexico - actually going to Alaska in about 3 weeks. However if I were to me travelling to Mexico - I would cancel or not get off the ship.

I am not that much of a worrywart but at the same time I'm not going to walk into a potental hazard if I can avoid it.

I would think all cruiselines are having meetings this morning to see how this is going to inpact them.

addicted2 April 27th, 2009 11:51 AM

My hubby and I were just talking about what to do with our planned mexican cruise on the Mariner in January. We are thinking of cancelling and changing to a southern caribbean cruise instead. Makes you wonder if the cruise lines will change the itineries of some of their ships especially those that do all Mexico stops like the Mariner.

jaxon April 27th, 2009 12:12 PM

Late last night, I posted a thread on this under the generalized cruise questions board. This is nothing to be sneezed at, no pun intended. It is a never before seen amalgamation of 2 swine, one avian, and one human strain. It is htiing the robust -- 20 to 40 the hardest. All deaths in Mexico City were between 27-37. It looks like cytokine storm, an overreactive immune system reaction causing the deaths, which is believed to be what happened in the 1918 flu pandemic which took those in mid range, unlike the seasonal flu which takes those very young, and old, generally.

I would think that excursions to Mexico would be closed down shortly -- it's about stopping a pandemic. A first step, as another reported, is being taken by the government saying no unnecessary travel, there. With Asian countries checking anyone who has been to Mexico, you can bet the same will be done with people coming off ships who have been near the affected area, and the Yucatan is one such area, as the NY and New Zealand cases came from CanCun.

felix_the_cat April 27th, 2009 12:55 PM

I don't suppose Mexico wants to let go of it's tourists trade. It's had so many problems. I'll be very upfront here and say I don't like Mexico. I will never again go to Mexico but it has nothing to do with this problem.

I'm sure there are major problems for the cruiselines if they have to change their intineraries. I can't imagine the logisitics of it. However, I would say (and this is a personal guess) that the US State department is really don't going to give them much choice over the next 2-3 weeks.

For those who are sailing in July on I certainly wouldn't jump the gun and start cancelling now. I think you need to pay the wait and see game a little longer.

Of course we don't really know yet that all those death can be attributed directly to the swine flu. They may well be a contributing factor but not necessarily the main factor. One must always keep in mind the medical care just isn't there for the masses.

Glad we have socialized medicine. At least we can go to a clinic/hospital/doctor's office immediately knowing we aren't going to have to pay with everything we have.

bsoper April 27th, 2009 01:44 PM

I am VERY woried about this. We are supposed to go on Enchantment MAY 16th!!!!!!!!!!!! and make a stop in Cozumel. I called RCL and they said they are not changing the itenerary at this time. I went to my trav ag at AAA and she called to see if we could get a credit. They said NO (that is crappy). We have insurance thru RC and we could get 75% credit. HOWEVER, to avoid Mexico that leaves cruises of 7+ nites (lots more $$) and the 3-4 nite bahama (no thanks). I feel frustrated right now. I have been searching state dept and cdc and fox and cnn and there does not seem to be an OFFICIAL warning or ban against Mexico.

I hope that RC is in the works of a plan to deal with this....either change out the port or make it a more days at sea deal (I would far rather have a vacation with fewer port stops that not have one at all!!!!). This seems like a time where patience is VERY necessary.....waiting to see what the gov does and what RC does.

I have less than 3 weeks to go, and we are traveling with a 5 yr old.

Please come thru for us RCL :cry:

felix_the_cat April 27th, 2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsoper
I am VERY woried about this. We are supposed to go on Enchantment MAY 16th!!!!!!!!!!!! and make a stop in Cozumel. I called RCL and they said they are not changing the itenerary at this time. I went to my trav ag at AAA and she called to see if we could get a credit. They said NO (that is crappy). We have insurance thru RC and we could get 75% credit. HOWEVER, to avoid Mexico that leaves cruises of 7+ nites (lots more $$) and the 3-4 nite bahama (no thanks). I feel frustrated right now. I have been searching state dept and cdc and fox and cnn and there does not seem to be an OFFICIAL warning or ban against Mexico.

I hope that RC is in the works of a plan to deal with this....either change out the port or make it a more days at sea deal (I would far rather have a vacation with fewer port stops that not have one at all!!!!). This seems like a time where patience is VERY necessary.....waiting to see what the gov does and what RC does.

I understand how you feel, especially with with a child, but I think you are over-reacting right now. A lot can happen in 3 weeks and most likely this will peter out. If it gets worse even RCL should make any necessary changes.

WildRover April 27th, 2009 02:39 PM

I completely understand your concern. I would be too even if I wasn't traveling w/ a child.

But I think it's far too early to panic. This has been news for one full weekend. Felix is right, anything could happen between now and your sail date.

I don't think for one minute that any cruiseline will be docking in Mexico if this doesn't get better. The last thing they need is a ship full of sick people.

With any luck, this'll go away quickly and you can enjoy your vacation.

Older Party April 27th, 2009 03:14 PM

Just beware of Pigs dressed as Pirates! :wink:

WildRover April 27th, 2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Older Party

LOL :D LOL :D

It took me a minute but I eventually got it!

Vey funny!

:D

blueliner April 27th, 2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Nice! :D :D :D

jaxon April 27th, 2009 06:09 PM

Quote:

You need to be worried -- sorry, but I would be looking at other options, except I don't think the cruise lines will be allowed to port, very soon.
This is ver scary, look at the comments to this story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

Sid1962 April 27th, 2009 08:50 PM

I don't know....there were cases reported in California and New York....would you not go there because of itt?

Seems to me that its SARS all over again...not technically ie the strain, but in the reactions.....during SARS we flew to Mexico from Torornto and saw a ton of folks in the airport with surgical masks.....we did not catch anything......

We are booked on an East to West Panama Canal cruise this coming October, with 3 stops in Western Mexico....my sense is that it will be over by then, so we are not, at this point, comtemplating any changes.....and besides, we're old, and from what I hear, it isn't as likely to hit us....maybe one of the few bennies to having been born pre-boomer !

Sid1962

bsoper April 28th, 2009 09:36 AM

It is interesting to read replies here. I find it interesting that the 2 folks who say I overact do not have trips planned to Mexico at this time. Wonder if you were in my shoes. I do NOT mean to be inflammatory or rude. It is just an observation. I am obligated to think not just of myself but of my child. We have forked over a lot of $ and most of all have been happily anticipating this trip. Now, I am stuck with the option of taking a risk or having no vacation. Could life be worse......absolutely...I have had cancer and am aware of what bad can really be. It just so happens that this is really bad timing.

felix_the_cat April 28th, 2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

It is interesting to read replies here. I find it interesting that the 2 folks who say I overact do not have trips planned to Mexico at this time. Wonder if you were in my shoes. I do NOT mean to be inflammatory or rude. It is just an observation. I am obligated to think not just of myself but of my child. We have forked over a lot of $ and most of all have been happily anticipating this trip. Now, I am stuck with the option of taking a risk or having no vacation. Could life be worse......absolutely...I have had cancer and am aware of what bad can really be. It just so happens that this is really bad timing.

I'm sorry you think I was pushing you off. I didn't mean to come across that way. Right now the cruiselines are working on this weekends schedule so anything later than that is being put on the back burner.

There are a lot of angry cruisers out there right now because the cruiselines won't give them the option of changing or cancelling. It's really hard to figure out what to do.

I suffer from asthma so something like this would really worry me. Did you buy insurance? If so, give them a call and see if they can help. They may be willing to at least pay the difference to make a change.

Trackypup April 28th, 2009 12:06 PM

Did you guys read on the dark side this morning that UK Insurance Companies are refusing to cover you if you stop in Mexico? even if you've bought and paid for your medical insurance. A stop in Mexico voids it. That sucks!! Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place. If the cruise lines still stop there, you make a choice, either cancel and lose your money, or forgo your medical insurance.

felix_the_cat April 28th, 2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackypup
Did you guys read on the dark side this morning that UK Insurance Companies are refusing to cover you if you stop in Mexico? even if you've bought and paid for your medical insurance. A stop in Mexico voids it. That sucks!! Talk about caught between a rock and a hard place. If the cruise lines still stop there, you make a choice, either cancel and lose your money, or forgo your medical insurance.

I read that - that really is no choice at all. Those insurance companies should not be able to do that. If they don't want to cover anthing to Mexico they should then offer a refund/cancellation to thier clients. After all, that's why they bought the insurance in the first place.

jaxon April 28th, 2009 03:29 PM

Reports now that Carnival is cancelling stops in Mexico for three ships. Carnival thread has a post saying that there were no stops in Mexico today.

WildRover April 28th, 2009 03:37 PM

Looks like HAL and Fred Olsen have joined Carnival in skipping Mexican ports.

Trip April 28th, 2009 04:48 PM

I spoke to a cruiser last night, who just returned from the Mexican Riviera, on the RCI Mariner.

She told me, that only people watching CNN news in the cabin, even knew about this..that was last Tues/Weds....The passengers were not told anything of the problems in Mexico. Nothing seemed unusual in port, and she heard no rumblings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~so, my question is..do you think the ship should have mentioned the situation, or do you think thay acted reponsibly by not mentioning it?

jaxon April 28th, 2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip
I spoke to a cruiser last night, who just returned from the Mexican Riviera, on the RCI Mariner.

She told me, that only people watching CNN news in the cabin, even knew about this..that was last Tues/Weds....The passengers were not told anything of the problems in Mexico. Nothing seemed unusual in port, and she heard no rumblings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~so, my question is..do you think the ship should have mentioned the situation, or do you think thay acted reponsibly by not mentioning it?

Their actions do not surprise me and they are unconscionable, imo. 19 of 23? Mexican states now reporting possible cases. Baja is one of the states, and Oxaca is not far from Acapulco. It has been reported that RCI has said all the cases are inland, away from tourist areas. Well, the cases in NY and New Zealand appear to be from Cancun visits, and bus travel in Mexico brought one case out of Mexico City to another state, so RCI is being very irresponsible. Let a cruiser come down with it after that sort of irresponsible statement, and you get a possible law suit -- nothing RCI hasn't plenty of experience with, however. The government here and around the world telling travelers not to travel for anything non-essential should mean something -- the governments didn't say, just don't travel to Mexico City!

This is actually making me angry -- we are trying to stop a pandemic for Pete's sake!

felix_the_cat April 28th, 2009 05:45 PM

I agree, they are completely irresponsible. People have a right to know so they can take extra precautions.

I'm trying to find out what Carnival is up to as I have a very upset client who is suppose to sail Mexico from LA. I can't get an answer. They were suppose to post on their website at 5 but so far nothing. I'm a TA and can't get a straight answer - imagine what the general public feel like.

Baring I mind I'm Canadian, all of our major land players have cancelled everything to Mexico from now til the end of May or beginning of June based on the fact the Canadian government has posted a travel advisory for Mexico. What in heaven's name is the matter with the cruiselines......does greed come into play here.

Air Transat is sending planes down this weekend to bring back EVERYONE including all their own staff so for anyone who wasn't suppose to come home this weekend - they are now.

I understand the cruiselines will lose money but not near as much as they will lose if they don't play fare. I've already had one client who sails quite often say she'll never cruise again because of the attitude of the cruiselines at this time.

Not good - not good at all.............

Trip April 28th, 2009 06:22 PM

This is from our front page headlines...

Carnival to Cancel Mexico Ports of Call - This Week
AP is just now breaking a report that Carnival Corp. will suspend stops at Mexican ports for all three ships it has scheduled to visit the country in the next few days. This statement precedes a more detailed statement scheduled for today at 5:00 pm EDT to address later stops.

Royal Caribbean International and Norwegian Cruise Lines still hope to reassure their passengers that their onboard facilities can provide sufficient health care and infection prevention measures to keep onboard guests safe.

Norwegian Pearl, currently on a repositioning cruise with stops in Mexico, is monitoring the situation by conducting fleet-wide guest health questionnaires.

Royal Caribbean is telling passengers not to go overboard with panic and concern, noting that the outbreaks are inland rather than in the Mexican coastal cities popular with cruise tourists.

Older Party April 28th, 2009 06:39 PM

Always better to err on the side of caution but so far, not a single swine flu infection here in the U.S. has resulted in a death. Considering more than 35,000 people die in the U.S. every year from the regular flu, we do look to be a little bit over-reacting.

Every cruise line has their passengers utmost safety at heart. So where Mexico is concerned, even with their cases occuring inland, it is a wise move they are not stopping at the Mexican ports, at least until this outbreak has subsided.

Glad a couple of you got the pun re: pigs 'n' pirates. I'm telling ya, seems like every morning I wake up, we're given something else to worry about. We've got to keep our humor ... it's the best thing to get us through these trying times.

felix_the_cat April 28th, 2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip
This is from our front page headlines...

Carnival to Cancel Mexico Ports of Call - This Week
AP is just now breaking a report that Carnival Corp. will suspend stops at Mexican ports for all three ships it has scheduled to visit the country in the next few days. This statement precedes a more detailed statement scheduled for today at 5:00 pm EDT to address later stops.

Royal Caribbean International and Norwegian Cruise Lines still hope to reassure their passengers that their onboard facilities can provide sufficient health care and infection prevention measures to keep onboard guests safe.

Norwegian Pearl, currently on a repositioning cruise with stops in Mexico, is monitoring the situation by conducting fleet-wide guest health questionnaires.

Royal Caribbean is telling passengers not to go overboard with panic and concern, noting that the outbreaks are inland rather than in the Mexican coastal cities popular with cruise tourists.

RCL is saying wrong- it has hit port cities - Cancun - there is a Canadian who is apparently suffering from Mexico flu who was in Cancun and a second probable from the same port. (They were on land vacations.)

felix_the_cat April 28th, 2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Always better to err on the side of caution but so far, not a single swine flu infection here in the U.S. has resulted in a death. Considering more than 35,000 people die in the U.S. every year from the regular flu, we do look to be a little bit over-reacting.

Every cruise line has their passengers utmost safety at heart. So where Mexico is concerned, even with their cases occuring inland, it is a wise move they are not stopping at the Mexican ports, at least until this outbreak has subsided.

Glad a couple of you got the pun re: pigs 'n' pirates. I'm telling ya, seems like every morning I wake up, we're given something else to worry about. We've got to keep our humor ... it's the best thing to get us through these trying times.

They are saying there are 2 probable deaths in California. It's why Arnold has called a state of emergency there.

Matelot April 28th, 2009 07:00 PM

The two possible deaths in California were from other causes according to the statement just read on CNN- not sure who the official was that was speaking, but he read from the autopsy reports.

ToddDH April 28th, 2009 07:01 PM

Older Party,

I agree with you on erring on the side of caution. Until we know more, I think the ships should avoid visiting Mexican ports...at least for a week or two. Since we don't yet really know that much about the capability of this strain of Flu, I think common sense would dictate the aforementioned policy. The Cruise lines may lose a lot of initial business for taking this tact, but to do otherwise would, I think, inflate their liability to a totally unacceptable level. Maybe those who do elect to stop will get away with it. But since I'm not a gamblin' man, I sure wouldn't take the chance.

Oh, and I too loved your " Just beware of Pigs dressed as Pirates!" That should become an internet classic!

Todd