Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Default Just Returned from Mariner - Any Questions?

Just returned from a 7-night Mexican Riveria cruise on Mariner. I would be happy to answer any questions.
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Familiar Face

Is the ship still looking good, or showing her age?
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
First Mate

Ship looked very good. The only thing that appeared to show some age was the artistic paintings on the pool deck. As you may recall, this ship has special art on the pool deck and had certain light poles painted and the such. You can see some of the paint fading and in need of a fresh coat. Beyond that, everything looked tip top shape.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Passenger

We will be going on the mariner June 28. How are the specialty restaurants ? Also, what is the best transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal San Pedro.

Thanks,
David
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Captain

Any idea where the Diamond Lounge will be after 9/1/2009?

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
First Mate

The cruise line offers a coach bus from LAX to the ship for around $30.00 a person; however, a whole cab (one way) to/from the airport/ship is $60.00; so if you're at least two people in your party; probably better off taking a cab as it may be cheaper and faster.

As for the diamond lounge; the ship does not have one; only the Freedom Class currently has one. As for the nightly lounge they will "turn into" a Diamond area nightly; I have no idea where that might be on the ship.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyball
We will be going on the mariner June 28. How are the specialty restaurants ? Also, what is the best transportation from the airport to the cruise terminal San Pedro.

Thanks,
David
I'll be on June 14-21. I'll write a review, but I'll have different ports than you.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Beginner

hi we have booked on the mariner march 2010. would like to know about cash/credit cards.whats the best option?? we are thinking about excursions any advice ..best value ..how and where to reserve???
onboard drinks how does it work ie how do we pay..can we take drinks to cabin??thats all for now thanks for any information you can give us,,
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Just Returned from Mariner - Any Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember
Just returned from a 7-night Mexican Riveria cruise on Mariner. I would be happy to answer any questions.
Thanks for the offer! I just booked Mariner for 8/23 and am trying to decide between MTD and traditional dining. Did you use the MTD? Was it well organized?
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Beginner

do they still have a pool deck party at night for the pacific mexico cruises? I'm sailing on the Mariner on June 28th.
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Cash/Credit - As you know Royal Caribbean runs on a "cashless" system; as such, you will be required to provide a credit card for all your onboard charges during embarkation - your "SeaPass" card is then provided to you and used as your room key, ID to get on/off ship and charge card for any items you wish to purchase onboard (drinks, gift shop, etc.). If you wish to settle you bill at the end of the cruise with cash, instead of the credit card you provided at the start; simply go down to Guest Relations and they can handle the switch for you.

Shore Excursions - The only one we purchased was a zip line (canopy) tour in Mazalon. It was about $110 bucks; great tour really enjoyed it. After the tour they take you to a Tequilia factory. The factory tour is kind of stupid; lasts like 10 minutes and you basically see how they make in a barn; not all that impressive. I reserved my excursion via the cruiseline's website in advance of the cruise. This way I could ensure the time I wanted and no hassles when onboard waiting in any lines to book.

Pool Deck Party - Yes, one night of the cruise they will have the pool deck evening party with buffet; similar to all royal caribbean sailings.

Can I take drinks to the cabin - Once you walk away from a bar tender with your drink; you can take it anywhere (including your cabin).

MTD v. Traditional - I did the traditional late seating dining; for my experiences; I love knowing when I will eat dinner at each night and having the same wait staff. Been sailing for 20 years and haven't had a problem with it yet. Plus, you may also miss out on the singing/dancing in the dinning room if you're time is off.
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
We will be going on the mariner June 28. How are the specialty restaurants ?
Thanks,
David
Hi David I sailed on teh Mariner in May and the only specialty I did was chops..

Outstanding.. is the word.. mignon was butter knife tender!
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyanddavid
Quote:
We will be going on the mariner June 28. How are the specialty restaurants ?
Thanks,
David
Hi David I sailed on teh Mariner in May and the only specialty I did was chops..

Outstanding.. is the word.. mignon was butter knife tender!
Thanks for your insight. We did make a reservation for Chops and the Itilain restaurant. We have only cruised on Royal Carribean once and that was 10 years ago. Looking forward to it. Any comments on the ports ?

Thanks,
David
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Any comments on the ports ?

Thanks,
David
David really can't help you there our run was the pacific north west.. however i have done the riveria a few times.. we just love old town Mazatlan..(i would suggest if you are able .. the walking tour..) after the tour the give you options to just wondering around or take a bus back to port.. port is 5 bucks away by cab... so just wandering around for a bit was one of the best times we ever had...
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyanddavid
Quote:
Any comments on the ports ?

Thanks,
David
David really can't help you there our run was the pacific north west.. however i have done the riveria a few times.. we just love old town Mazatlan..(i would suggest if you are able .. the walking tour..) after the tour the give you options to just wondering around or take a bus back to port.. port is 5 bucks away by cab... so just wandering around for a bit was one of the best times we ever had...
Hey, that sounds like a winner. We like to wander, walk, shop and people watch. This will be our first time to this part of Mexico.

David
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Beginner

First of all, how was the cruise overall? Did the ship have any issues on the port calls?
What time does the disembarkation start back in LA?
We're going 8/9 and are looking forward to it.
Thanks in advance.
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM
First Mate

Cruise was great. Weather was a bit windy the last two days sailing back to LA. No issues with the ports of call; all places were really nice. You'll arrive in LA around 5:30AM and begin getting off the ship by 8AM.