Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Default Mores changes

Partly I wanted to see if I could start a new thread but really want to say:

One of my clients has just returned to England from the US on the Independence. They turned D on this sailing. This is their second sailing on the Independence as they came over on the TA last fall. Prior to that they sailed the Brilliance (which is where I met them) last spring on the TA to England.

They have only sailed RCL. We were visiting with them in Florida a couple of weeks before they left. Because of dates more than anything, I asked if they wanted me to look at an other cruiseline next fall when they return to Florida as they do like to be in the US for the whole 6 months they are allowed. They said they wanted to stay with RCL as it's they line of choice.

Well, today I received an email from them. They enjoyed their cruise because they met a lot of nice people. However, the cutbacks between the last TA and this one were extremely noticable and he has asked me to now look at other lines for their return in the spring. They are already booked of course for the spring return but we will end up cancelling it and if we can't find something on another line that will work they will fly over.

To me, this says worlds about the cutbacks and changes at RCL.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Felix,

As we're planning on sailing the Explorer in June for the third time in four years, I'll let everyone know if things are sliding downhill that much. I can tell you that the difference between our 2006 sailing and our 2008 voyage were inconsequential save for menu changes. I didn't detect any change in food quality however.

What I would really like to know is just exactly what were the cutbacks that would make two individuals, obviously RCL afficianados who sailed only that line, change their mind as a result of one cruise that didn't measure up.

I should think the reason(s) should be most significant. Did they elucidate what those reasons were and if so, could you share them?

Todd
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
First Mate

I just got off the Freedom on Sunday the 26th. My third time on the Freedom and it was better than ever. The Diamond Club was the best experience I have had in a long time because they checked everybody who entered for the first time. There was no crowded conditions because of this. Food great, service great, had a blast.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'd also like to know what cutbacks they are talking about and that were so noticeable....I have heard they no longer leave the chocolate mints on your pillow, that I could live without, but what else?? The post was too general with no explanations??

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the IOS last month, several things I noticed.

Towels only 2 towels and one face cloth was left in the room. The Diamond booklet was a waste of printing paper. The activities offered were decreased especially on seadays. You have to pay for room service after midnight. You have to present your key card to get a pool towel if you don't return it is costs you $20. Menu choices were decreased.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Ok, the pool towel is nothing new, they've done that for years if you want another one by the pool...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Admiral

I realize it's general. As they just got home I don't intend to pester them with questions. I do know them well enough to say things have to have deteriorated enough to make them willing to change lines.

I will ask them to give me a bit more detail when I can.

It could also have to do with the fact they have just turned D and now arn't entitled to what they were working towards although I know the IOS has a D lounge.

But I'm not going to speculate. I will let you know as soon as I know.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 28th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Royal Chump,

As a result of the things you noticed, would they preclude you from sailing again on an RCL vessel?

Todd
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yeoman

Many of the cruiselines have made cutbacks in our trying times. They are like any other business. Personally, I can do without the chocolates on the pillow at night. If I want room service in the middle of the night, I SHOULD have to pay for it, it is in the middle of the night! There are some differences in what the cruiselines are now offering, but it hasn't changed my opinion of cruising, and will not let it. I love to cruise, and it is by far IMHO, the best value for the money in vacations!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by debshomespun
Many of the cruiselines have made cutbacks in our trying times. They are like any other business. Personally, I can do without the chocolates on the pillow at night. If I want room service in the middle of the night, I SHOULD have to pay for it, it is in the middle of the night! There are some differences in what the cruiselines are now offering, but it hasn't changed my opinion of cruising, and will not let it. I love to cruise, and it is by far IMHO, the best value for the money in vacations!
I don't think anyone was saying this would stop them cruising, the OP had clients that just said it wouldn't be on RCL. Their cutbacks seem to be far more apparent.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH
Royal Chump,

As a result of the things you noticed, would they preclude you from sailing again on an RCL vessel?

Todd
No but the first time in 9 years I left the cruise without booking another. Also I am now booked on the Carnival Dream for Xmas.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalchump
We were on the IOS last month, several things I noticed.

Towels only 2 towels and one face cloth was left in the room. The Diamond booklet was a waste of printing paper. The activities offered were decreased especially on seadays. You have to pay for room service after midnight. You have to present your key card to get a pool towel if you don't return it is costs you $20. Menu choices were decreased.
Also:
1. Last year the Souveneir Glass was a large fluted one made of glass. This year a much smaller elongated martini type plastic thingy.

2. Food quality really went down. Examples:
a.Steak was super tough, lamb was stringy and dry as if it had sat under a heat lamp for a LONG time
b.Compass Deli-I've had better sandwiches that came from my neighborhood convenience store-not exagerrating
c.first day onboard we had real juice-from then on we got "Tang" type mixes for all the juices, and yes, I am an early riser and saw them pouring the "______-flavored" mixes into the machines
d. the roast beef on the buffet was the cheapest cut of chuck and gristley/tough (and yes I have butchered and do know my cuts of meat)
e. paella (sp.?), (the great rice and seafood stuff on the buffet) tasted great, but had very little seafood at all. I love this dish, so ate some then waited for a new pan to come out and in the whole pan there were 5 shrimp, 5 mussels and sprinklings throughout of little pieces of chicken bits. Not the end of the world, but a change.
f. Sausage links were horrible and obviously contained very little meat and lots of soy and filler. The turkey ones were much better, but not the same.

3. We had a blast last year with all that was going on by the pool. This year, virtually nothing. Very dead. There were also no tables in the pool area to eat at.

4. Coupons torn out of coupon booklet. I know that has been noted on other threads, but it is a change compared to our last years April cruise.

5. Johnny Rocket's price increase.

6. Coor's Light had a lowered alcohol content. %4.1 as marked on the can. This one I don't get. They have to have this made specially for the cruise ships because that's considerably lower. Weird.

7. Constantly pushing the Oasis on you at every opportunity. Got old real quick.

8. Extremely thin, one-ply, basically useless, toilet paper. I know, go ahead and laugh, but I use it everyday in some rather important areas and it needs to perform a certain function. It doesn't. Use the box of Kleenex/tissue instead. Trust me on this.

None of these things will keep me from cruising. They WILL, however, keep me from paying more with this line and getting less. I am looking forward to trying different lines and will not reward Royal for bad behavior by giving them anymore of my money.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
First Mate

I'm sorry but when we cruise it sure isn't for the food, or the quality of the toilet paper. We cruise for the relaxation, the ports and the beautiful views of the ocean from the balconies. Our most recent cruise last month on the Explorer we probably had the best food ever and ate most nights in the Windjammer instead of the main dining room. And about the toilet paper do you complain at restaurants, rest stops, gas stations and hotels about the quality there too? Didn't bother us a bit. We were to busy enjoying our vacation to worry about what we wiped our butts with. Sorry but when on vacation relax and enjoy, it could be worse you could have been at work or shoveling snow instead of being on a big beautiful ship in the middle of the ocean stopping at wonderful ports.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Admiral

I totally agree with you Addicted....Its a vacation after all, I'm not at work or dealing with the usual everyday stuff, no worries and getting waited on hand and foot...I can understand some cutbacks, who isn't doing that??

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Admiral

I only partly agree. I expect the quality of the food to be decent. I'm paying for it and I don't expect McDonald's quality. I'm not that hard to please but I have my expectations based on what I paid.

Every vacation we take requires a flight so there is nothing cheap about any of it for us. I'm not willing to take anything they throw at me and say it doesn't matter - because it does.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
First Mate

The quality of the food has always been decent on our cruises. True there are some foods we tried that we didn't particularily like so we ate something else. In the dining rooms if the food ordered isn't what you expected you can order something else no problem, the dining room staff wants you to enjoy your food and will do what they can to make sure you do. The dinners in the Windjammer we thought were very good also with the make your own noodle, pasta and stir fry areas. We do travel more for the change of scenery and areas of the world available to visit thats the main reasons we cruise, not the food.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2
The quality of the food has always been decent on our cruises. True there are some foods we tried that we didn't particularily like so we ate something else. In the dining rooms if the food ordered isn't what you expected you can order something else no problem, the dining room staff wants you to enjoy your food and will do what they can to make sure you do. The dinners in the Windjammer we thought were very good also with the make your own noodle, pasta and stir fry areas. We do travel more for the change of scenery and areas of the world available to visit thats the main reasons we cruise, not the food.
We cruise for all of that plus the food. I am not a foodie by any means but I have been known to get upset if crap is put in front of me. I do know we an sent it back and get something else, and all the other excuses but my preference is to get it right the first time as I don't like to hold up our table nor do I like to be eating my main course when everyone else is eating the desert.

I love the change of scenery, I love the down time and the entertainment. That's why we' have cruised in the area of 25 times. But I do have my expectations and I am willing to accept no less without a really good reason.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I'm sorry but when we cruise it sure isn't for the food, or the quality of the toilet paper. We cruise for the relaxation, the ports and the beautiful views of the ocean from the balconies. Our most recent cruise last month on the Explorer we probably had the best food ever and ate most nights in the Windjammer instead of the main dining room. And about the toilet paper do you complain at restaurants, rest stops, gas stations and hotels about the quality there too? Didn't bother us a bit. We were to busy enjoying our vacation to worry about what we wiped our butts with. Sorry but when on vacation relax and enjoy, it could be worse you could have been at work or shoveling snow instead of being on a big beautiful ship in the middle of the ocean stopping at wonderful ports.
At a restaurant I'm paying for the food and service, if those are bad I would complain.
At a gas station I'm paying for the gas, if it's contaminated and jacks up my car I would complain.
Rest stops are free, I wouldn't complain.
Hotels I'm paying for the room and it's amenities. Depending on what I paid for (Hilton vs. Motel 6) I might complain.

On Royal I paid a lot and got a little. I'm not complaining though. The thread is regarding changes. I'm simply noting, as the OP wanted us to, the changes. I am comparing the same ship, same exact time frame exactly a year later and giving the information on changes I noticed. Sorry if the truth is painful, but it's the truth.

Yes, I had a good time. Yes the ports were nice. I will most definitely cruise again for the rest of my life, God willing. BUT, I will not pay more for less. It's a foolish use of hard earned money when there are other, better, alternative.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by benicehavefun
Quote:
At a restaurant I'm paying for the food and service, if those are bad I would complain.
At a gas station I'm paying for the gas, if it's contaminated and jacks up my car I would complain.
Hotels I'm paying for the room and it's amenities. Depending on what I paid for (Hilton vs. Motel 6) I might complain.

On Royal I paid a lot and got a little. I'm not complaining though. The thread is regarding changes. I'm simply noting, as the OP wanted us to, the changes. I am comparing the same ship, same exact time frame exactly a year later and giving the information on changes I noticed. Sorry if the truth is painful, but it's the truth.

Yes, I had a good time. Yes the ports were nice. I will most definitely cruise again for the rest of my life, God willing. BUT, I will not pay more for less. It's a foolish use of hard earned money when there are other, better, alternative.
I was talking about the toilet paper!!!!!!!!!
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benicehavefun
Quote:

I was talking about the toilet paper!!!!!!!!!
So was I.
Restaraunt = I pay for food and service, did not have any TP, bar service, room steward, etc... expectations.
Gas station = gas, not TP or other expectations.
Rest Stop, free.
Hotel, if I payed for a Hilton I want decent TP. If I payed for a dive, no complaints.

Try to think outside the box.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
First Mate

Try to think outside the bathroom!!! Sheez how much time do you spend in there anyway????
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Try to think outside the bathroom!!! Sheez how much time do you spend in there anyway????
You are focusing on a tiny portion of a lengthy post regarding the many changes noted.
TP is TP. Good point. I acknowledge that some just don't care as much about personal hygiene as others. Now, can we try to stay on topic? Topic being "More Changes".

Maybe some of you have noticed positive changes? I will say that the one I liked was the My Time Dining. Even though I gave up on the dining room because it was too much trouble for mediocre, at best, food I did like having that option.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
First Mate

Sorry yes some times the cruise lines have to make changes weather good or bad to try to keep up and make a profit (that is why they are in business in the first place). However I think that some people will complain about anything just to complain. Yes we have had some minor problems on cruises, most of them are out of our control such as the weather or changes in itineraries and even a cancelled excursion or two. We have had only one legitimate complaint about noises in the ceiling above our room that was eventually fixed and we were offered a discount as compensation. The point is that cruise lines are trying to stay afloat in this economy as well as most other business and if by cutting the quality of the toilet paper to save some money or by charging for room service at 3:00a.m. to cover the cost of having the staff working at that time is some of those cost saving measures to keep the prices down than I for one am all for it. Relax enjoy your vacations and don't sweat the small stuff
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007