Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Passenger

Default compensation for change of itenary?

Hi! we booked a trip on the liberty for the port of call in mexico. it has been canceled due to the flu issues. he is very steamed about this. does rccl, ever compensate passengers for to changes such as this?

thanks in advance! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Captain

Default Compensation for Port Changes

No, they don't. Read your cruise contract.

Would you have the Captain risk the health of thousands of passengers just to make a port call? Same applies to bad weather. People gripe about missing a port because of a hurricane bearing down on that port. Boggles the mind.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Admiral

I think Liberty is doing CoCo Cay instead of Cozumel.

This would be a big plus for me as Liberty is already doing Labadee and then to add CoCo Cay to the itinerary.....WOW.
I love the private islands.

However not good if someone booked this cruise for the port of Cozumel.

One just never knows when a port will be cancelled/changed.

I would not expect any compensation however if my ports were changed from warm ports to colder ports then it would be nice to get alittle something from the cruiseline.

Enjoy your cruise.... 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

For our cruise in 2 weeks the ENTIRE itinerary was changed from Mexico to Pacific Coastal and for not cancelling the cruise we are getting $350 OBC per cabin and the same in FCC - future cruise credit. The prices dropped and we have been credited over $600 on our credit card.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Compensation for Port Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad
No, they don't. Read your cruise contract.

Would you have the Captain risk the health of thousands of passengers just to make a port call? Same applies to bad weather. People gripe about missing a port because of a hurricane bearing down on that port. Boggles the mind.
Pootersdad,

I should give some background. We booked this trip for our 10th anniversary. We selected this trip b/c of the stop in Cozumel as my DH wanted to hike the Ruins in Cozumel.
This was the sole reason for us selecting this cruise. Of course NO ONE had any way of predicting the FLU outbreak. However, the schedule has changed and we have no choice but to accept the situation. However, that does not prohibit me from asking a simple, benign question.

I read the contract prior to posting my question. I NEVER stated nor implied I expected the Captain or RCCL to risk the health of anyone. I had read elsewhere RCCL had INDEED provided perks or credits due to circumstances such as this.

It is very presumptuous of you to make such a statement, that I wish others ill health for our own flights of fancy. It boggles MY mind that you would be so incredibly rude to answer a benign post in such a manner. As we have not cruised before, I came to this message board seeking guidance. Not to receive snarky comments from someone who appears to misdirecting their frustration/anger towards me for asking for assistance. When all I did was asking a question in an attempt to make this trip more pleasant for my DH. I do not expect anything from RCCL. However, as the readers and posters on this board know, cruising is a luxury. One that we will not have the opportunity to repeat often. Thus, I was seeking advice on what I might be able to do to make this situation better for my DH.

I certainly hope when the time comes that you seek assistance/guidance from someone, you are not treated with such disrespect.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
First Mate

spike..

most likely not...........that said, you can always call and ask RCI if they are giving anything such as on board credit...........although i think they would have mentioned this when they notified you (or your TA if applicable).

as this was beyond RCIs control, I wouldn't expect anything at all. I have been on 3 cruises with changed itineraries. The 1st, we wound up trying to avoid hurricane wilma in 2005. we missed a port, subbed another and got maybe an hour of free rum punch and some other drink.

The second, last thanksgiving, we could not arrive to labadee or samana due to high winds and tides...we got a refund of port charges to the credit card (maybe 10 bucks) and the captain took us to grand turk which was nice.

Then, in Feb of 09 we were the 1st cruise on Explorer after the ship's prop was damanged on a reef. We DID receive substantial OBC but we found out about this as we were boarding and we had an adjusted port call and a skipped call. That incident was the fault of RCI hence the credit.

So..while it wouldn't hurt to call and ask, i am afraid that RCI will say, basically, tough luck..."SHIP HAPPENS" as the saying goes.

Honestly, if you want to go someplace and actually GET there (barring some natural disaster) it is best to do a land vacation................

Happy anniversay anyway.......and try to have fun.

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg